FTFY Devs - New Profession Weapons

Half your choices don't even feel natural to the core professions, and you haven't given offhand weapons love in years. Let me fix both of those things for you.

* Guardian - pistol/warhorn

* Warrior - staff

* Revenant - scepter/focus

* Engineer - longbow

* Ranger - mace/focus

* Thief - axe/axe (or OH sword instead of axe)

* Ele - rifle

* Mesmer - shortbow

* Necro - sword/shield

Since a lot of people "disliked" this - Reasoning:

To keep professions largely within their own distinguished corners and their identities intact, two questions need to be asked with every weapon added to core professions:

1) Are there any weapons that are *more-suited* to this core profession's identity? If so, those should probably be added to core first.

2) Are there any other professions that are *more-suited* to using this weapon that do not yet have it? If so, those professions should probably get that weapon, or neither profession should.

If the answer is no to both, then the weapon is probably a solid choice and reinforces profession identity. If the answer is yes to either, giving that profession that particular weapon weakens the distinctiveness of each profession and degrades the game into "everyone uses everything" blahness.

Example 1: Warrior Staff

1) Not really. MH pistol and shortbow are about on par with staff, but nothing is a standalone winner and staff would add more to a kit that already has OH pistol and longbow.

2) Not really. The only other class without staff is Engi. Staff definitely suits Warrior better than Engi.

Conclusion: Staff Warrior is a good addition.

Example 2: Thief Focus: focus is a *magic* and *support* oriented OH

1) Yes. There are better thief weapons, particularly axe and OH sword, but also maybe torch. Focus is really low on thief's priority in incrementing its core identity. Thief should probably look at other options before focus.

2) Yes. Both Revenant and Herald are more support and magic-oriented than Thief, which tends to be more about evasion, self-ish DPS, and practicality over magic. Both Revenant and Ranger should probably get focus before looking into giving it into Thief.

Conclusion: focus is not a good choice for Thief.

Regarding ANet's Proposed New Weapons:

* Guardian: fails for OH pistol and not Warhorn being more appropriate to core Guardian (shielding, healing, support).

* Mesmer: fails for rifle being more appropriate to Ele than Mesmer (YMMV, but Ele wants big long range blasty weapon to compliment staff; Mesmer is fine as-is with GS/dagger).

* Necro: fails for OH sword being more appropriate for Thief than Necro (physical attack-based, dual-wielding), and arguably less appropriate to Necro than shield (life force, barrier, minions as shields)

* Ranger:  kinda fails for OH mace and not focus or shield (Ranger leaning more mystical/collaborative).

In addition to this, giving Ele pistol and not rifle/longbow is just creating a second scepter, whereas rifle would complete its kit more. And Engi just kind of lies in a middle ground where all options feel kind of lackluster: shortbow, torch, warhorn, axe...don't matter really.

Overall, more of these weapon additions blur and dilute class fantasy more than they strengthen it, and since clearly there was a way to do that and the devs didn't, I consider these changes fairly bad for the game and the entire point of the espec/profession system.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 2
  • Confused 7

33 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

Half your choices don't even feel natural to the core professions, and you haven't given offhand weapons love in years. Let me fix both of those things for you.

* Guardian - pistol/warhorn

* Warrior - staff

* Revenant - scepter/focus

* Engineer - longbow

* Ranger - mace/focus

* Thief - axe/axe (or OH sword)

* Ele - rifle

* Mesmer - shortbow

* Necro - sword/shield

No thanks. I like the choices from Anet better. Necro with shield wtf 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I'm good with the new fun thing specs are getting not being a 2-skill offhand that cant change a playstyle unless its pushed to the moon and back.  And even then (Willbender sword), it may still only be relevant in one game mode. 

As I said elsewhere, imagine you're a necro, and you dont have a focus as an offhand (in a world where you do have torch everywhere).   Your big "heres a new weapon" announcement is... Focus.  Congrats, its a thing you're never going to use on any build!   Hooray!

Thats a whole lot of off-hands. 

57 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

No thanks. I like the choices from Anet better. Necro with shield wtf 

Necro with double swords when thief has one is extra wtf. At least Necro's mechanics involve shielding itself with life force and minions.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Confused 3

58 minutes ago, Barraind.7324 said:

I'm good with the new fun thing specs are getting not being a 2-skill offhand that cant change a playstyle unless its pushed to the moon and back.  And even then (Willbender sword), it may still only be relevant in one game mode. 

As I said elsewhere, imagine you're a necro, and you dont have a focus as an offhand (in a world where you do have torch everywhere).   Your big "heres a new weapon" announcement is... Focus.  Congrats, its a thing you're never going to use on any build!   Hooray!

Thats a whole lot of off-hands. 

All of my propositions are both a MH and an OH.  I'm just proposing better offhand options than what the devs are giving us.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Confused 4

I would say if Anet choices get into the game then warrior deserve main hand pistol something they should have got in Eod Imo.

And that is because they dont have a main hand range option something that make it feel clunky to have a off hand range weapon.

• Like 1

Ipos thief. Sleep sweet my beloved. Maybe one day you will see the light of Tyria day.

Well, I can agree on the fact that off hand sword would fit thief better than an axe. But for the rest I think the weapons chioce is subjective, for each player It will be a diffrent weapon that fit the theme more.

Edited by Biziut.3594