So what other features would yall have liked, in this expansion?

7 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

new professions, Dervish, Paragon, & Ritualist... I still think it was a mistake not to include these three professions... and adding these three would keep the armor classes even... Ritualist is Light, Dervish is Medium, & Paragon is Heavy. I refuse to accept Revenant or Guardian as the successor to Ritualist... Paragon is not represented in any class or spec... and Spellbreaker is a HORRIBLE substitution for Dervish...

4th set of elite specs... I whole heartedly disagree with the claim that all all rolls and playstyles have been adequately represented through elite specs for each profession... There is so much untapped potential... also some of the roles supposedly represented through elite specs are not actually there...you can't shoehorn a role into a spec with a couple optional traits that don't actually mesh with the specs abilities...

Playable Tengu... They have built up Tengu lore... added so many character model customization options... gave them distinct male & female models... and they are rigged properly for armor... not to mention there have been two zones right next to lions arch since day one that have been known to be Tengu lands forever which are perfectly sized and placed for a Tengu City & Starter zone...

I would LOVE to see playable Tengu!! And the three infamous and beloved professions, Dervish, Paragon and Ritualist. That's what I have been wanting for years. That is what I want the most.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

They can't even balance what we have right now. 

Imagine 3 new classes and 21 elite specs. 

4 for the 3 new classes and 9 for the rest. 

Also imagine the poor soul who has to remodel 10 years worth of skins for Tengu. 

10 years worth of Voice Acting for 2 genders and 4 languages. 

Not to forget that form that day forward, every skins takes longer to make. 

Voice acting needs to get paid. 

All while people are to stingy to pay 25 bucks for tons of content while the average game now is 70 bucks. 

Yep. 

• Like 3

On 7/2/2023 at 5:35 AM, Knighthonor.4061 said:

So what other features would yall have liked, in this expansion? 

Nothing, otherwise anet will go down the same path they did in Guild Wars 1, where there was simply too much and they could never balance or improve anything. Anet should spend time on core game modes. I agree the LFG UI/Process is in need of a major overhaul. Something that can help people get into raids, dungeons, fractals, strike missions. Going back to core features of the game and improving them is necessary for any mmorpg in order to stay up-to-date and anet is very dated right now.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

All while people are to stingy to pay 25 bucks for tons of content while the average game now is 70 bucks. 

I would pay $500 for an expansion that had, "tons," of content. I just dont consider repackaging what we already have, or taking features away so that they can be sold back to us, to be "tons of content."

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I would pay $500 for an expansion that had, "tons," of content. I just dont consider repackaging what we already have, or taking features away so that they can be sold back to us, to be "tons of content."

Compared to most triple A games these days. Anet's expacks always had more content. 

Especially for only 25 bucks. 

2 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Compared to most triple A games these days. Anet's expacks always had more content. 

Especially for only 25 bucks. 

The only GW2 expac that Ive seen for $25 (not counting one off sales or price reduction as an expac gets old) is the new one....and it is advertised as described in my previous post.

Again, I have no problem paying well for, "tons of content," but that is not what ANet are advertising SotO as having.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The only GW2 expac that Ive seen for $25 (not counting one off sales or price reduction as an expac gets old) is the new one....and it is advertised as described in my previous post.

Again, I have no problem paying well for, "tons of content," but that is not what ANet are advertising SotO as having.

Serious question. How much would you be willing to pay for the content provided? 

Just now, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Serious question. How much would you be willing to pay for the content provided? 

Honestly, I am currently not planning to buy the expansion. There is nothing advertised that appeals to me sufficiently to give ANet a positive data point about it.

That may change of course. My main reason for holding off is that EoD and the two Gayala releases were so awful in terms of story, writing, characters, dialogue, etc that I have no expectation that the two new maps in SotO will be worth my while, and since the maps are the only new content... But perhaps the good writers did not work on EoD/Gayala because they were already working on SotO and I will see promise in the new story. Remains to be seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I would pay 25 bucks, even 70 bucks annually for:

* Story and 1-2 maps

* A small new feature like new class weapons that actually feels considered (these weapons generally just feel like random additions that erode profession identities and niches, while erasing the existence of focus/warhorn/shield). Or a new OW mastery like a mount or vehicle or toolkit. Just one SOLID minor addition to the game's systems.

* One solid "revival" project, be it underwater combat, raids, PvP maps/modes, WvW maps/features, finishing the clearly rushed EoD specs. Not parting out past content like skyscale and espec weapons as "reworks"--actually showing new development and care for underserved facets of the game.

Honestly, that is not asking much from a game that claims to still be "going strong" and not winding down for maintenance mode, and that expressly said it was adopting this model to work on facets other than OW/story.  But we can't even get that.

Edited by Batalix.2873

2 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Honestly, I am currently not planning to buy the expansion. There is nothing advertised that appeals to me sufficiently to give ANet a positive data point about it.

That may change of course. My main reason for holding off is that EoD and the two Gayala releases were so awful in terms of story, writing, characters, dialogue, etc that I have no expectation that the two new maps in SotO will be worth my while, and since the maps are the only new content... But perhaps the good writers did not work on EoD/Gayala because they were already working on SotO and I will see promise in the new story. Remains to be seen.

I found the story of EoD pretty OK but each there own. 

I got so far almost 17k hours out of GW2 and spending 25 Euros, that's like 2 hours of work for me, for potential hundreds hours of content is an absolute steal in my opinion. 

And maybe it's just me and not really something that's hits you but I get so annoyed by people throwing 60 - 70 bucks on trash games that they only play for a week tops while complaining that an MMO expack for a much lower price isn't worth it. 

"shrug" 

3 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

I would pay 25 bucks, even 70 bucks annually for:

* Story and 1-2 maps

* A small new feature like new class weapons that actually feels considered (these weapons generally just feel like random additions that erode profession identities and niches).

* One solid "revival" project, be it underwater combat, raids, PvP maps/modes, WvW maps/features, finishing the clearly rushed EoD specs. Not parting out past content like skyscale and espec weapons as "reworks"--actually showing new development and care for underserved facets of the game.

Honestly, that is not asking much from a game that claims to still be "going strong" and not winding down for maintenance mode, and that expressly said it was adopting this model to work on facets other than OW/story.  But we can't even get that.

I get that, but this isn't answering my question. 

How much, for the stuff shown so far, would you pay. 

1 minute ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I got so far almost 17k hours out of GW2 and spending 25 Euros, that's like 2 hours of work for me, for potential hundreds hours of content is an absolute steal in my opinion. 

And maybe it's just me and not really something that's hits you but I get so annoyed by people throwing 60 - 70 bucks on trash games that they only play for a week tops while complaining that an MMO expack for a much lower price isn't worth it. 

"shrug" 

It cant just be about price though.

If I go to my favorite restaurant and they say that all they have to serve today is decomposing filth, a discounted price tag will not be enough to get me to eat.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I get that, but this isn't answering my question. 

How much, for the stuff shown so far, would you pay. 

You were talking amount for a 25 dollar price point, and I explained roughly the amount of content (with a definition of my baseline of quality) that I would pay any money for (within reason), 25 or otherwise.

As it stands, given that the "amount" of content in this expac is largely just a facade covering up a lot of recycled features that will actually undermine a lot of past content, I would not pay anything for this. Between arguably the only new feature AND the only new rework (both this dumb weapons spectacle) being really poorly thought out and nothing else of substance being worked on, I have no desire to continue investing in a game that doesn't invest in itself.

Put another way, I avoid spending even throwaway amounts of money, 10 dollars, whatever, on empty experiences. There is plenty for me to do that doesn't require me to get scammed by low-effort corporate brand-whoring.

Edited by Batalix.2873

4 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

"shrug" 

Ive got a little over 11k hours (as I recall) in GW2, and have spent somewhere north of $50k on the game (across multiple accounts) since launch. Works out to a better deal, on a cost per hour basis, than seeing a bunch of movies in my area (San Francisco area)....but that means nothing if what is offered for sale now isnt worth buying (to me).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Not meant to be taken literally. Just being used to demonstrate the fact that price is not everything. My apologies if it offended.

Nah you ok. 

16 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

You were talking amount for a 25 dollar price point, and I explained roughly the amount of content (with a definition of my baseline of quality) that I would pay any money for (within reason), 25 or otherwise.

As it stands, given that the "amount" of content in this expac is largely just a facade covering up a lot of recycled features that will actually undermine a lot of past content, I would not pay anything for this. Between arguably the only new feature AND the only new rework (both this dumb weapons spectacle) being really poorly thought out and nothing else of substance being worked on, I have no desire to continue investing in a game that doesn't invest in itself.

Put another way, I avoid spending even throwaway amounts of money, 10 dollars, whatever, on empty experiences. There is plenty for me to do that doesn't require me to get scammed by low-effort corporate brand-whoring.

Point taken. 

Maybe I'm not the average guy but I can eat more then 25 euros in a single meal.

At best, that's like 2 days worth of food here in germany and I'm not even payed that good. 

So 25 Euros is so little money for me, that throwing it at the stuff offered is absolutely OK. 

I also don't see the content offered as negativ in any way. 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281

9 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Nah you ok. 

Point taken. 

Maybe I'm not the average guy but I can eat more then 25 euros in a single meal.

At best, that's like 2 days worth of food and I'm not even well/have I pay. 

So 25 Euros is so little money for me, that throwing it at the stuff offered is absolutely OK. 

I like to funnel my money toward creativity and social good where I can. SotO does not strike me as remotely on the same level of artistry and care that golden age GW2 did. It's not even a money thing, but partly some vague ethical principle, and partly just wanting to avoid letting my brain turn to consumerist mush.

Appreciate your dialogue though.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Nah you ok. 

Point taken. 

At best, that's like 2 days worth of food here in germany and I'm not even payed that good. 

Totally get that. To you the content advertised is worth your money. But I responded primarily not because I disagreed with your opinion on whether nor not SotO is worth the price tag...that is something that each individual must decide for themself, but rather because you were judging and denigrating others for deciding for themself whether or not the expansion was worth the price.

4 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

I like to funnel my money toward creativity and social good where I can. SotO does not strike me as remotely on the same level of artistry and care that golden age GW2 did. It's not even a money thing, but partly some vague ethical principle, and partly just wanting to avoid letting my brain turn to consumerist mush.

Just curious, what is the golden age of GW2 to you? 

The best time I ever had in this game was Pre Hot silverwaste.

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281

9 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Totally get that. To you the content advertised is worth your money. But I responded primarily not because I disagreed with your opinion on whether nor not SotO is worth the price tag...that is something that each individual must decide for themself, but rather because you were judging and denigrating others for deciding for themself whether or not the expansion was worth the price.

How did we even get here? I mean, that obvious. 

It's just, im feed up with people not willing to pay money for a product just because it's in the MMO genre. 

Somehow, that's where people start to debate over every single nook and cranny. 

Meanwhile, other game Studios can throw out the biggest pile of garbage and people are like. 70$ for a glorified beta test? 

A game that offers like 100 hours of content if even? 

No problem! 

I'm just annoyed that Anet, who does in my opinion rather good quality content, had to fight so freaking hard to get people to give them even a dime. 

But that's just an idiot ranting. 😅

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281

In this expansion specifically? Nothing, they are actually rolling out everything that I thought that they would need for a perfect debut for their new style of expansions. They promised new masteries, content, rewards, and combat mechanics that would push the meat of the game forward, without bloating it with new one off systems, and it looks like they are going to deliver on that promise.

We already knew what content was going to look like and I was sold on it. What they described last week for masteries and rewards sounds excellent, and is exactly what will energize the player base for the lifecycle of this expansion. I was pretty confident that expanding weapon access was going to be the combat mechanic,. and now coming out of the beta weekend I'm sure that it was the right choice. Giving so many new options that were already in the game is a win-win for players and devs. Doing minor reworks on three weapons per class had to have been the easiest option for the devs, but its also going to great a ton of new and really interesting combos for players over the next ~12 months.

So what would I like to see in the next expansion to continue pushing the ball forward? I think the game is overdue for a content "squish" like WoW did recently. Basically there's too much content, produced over too long of a period, in response to too many different levels of player power. Arah used to be the most challenging content in the game, and players with meta builds and basic game knowledge can brute force any path in about 10 minutes. Use the story as a chance to reset player power (like should a dps build cap out at 30K or 50K?) and content difficulty as a great way to re-engage old metas and instanced content that just isn't fun right now because they're far too simple and under-tuned for what players are capable of will. It would also be a good way to develop new strikes for bosses players are hungry for, like Zhatian and Balthazar, without pushing budgets too far. Rewards would be easy to tackle too with what they currently have to offer and the new Wizards Vault system. 

I'd also like to see a full revamp of what the LFG is capable of. Frankly the current LFG is the bare minimum of what a game should launch with. Updating it to make it easier for players to jump into content they want to play should be a system focus of the next expansion no matter what else they have planned. It needs to be easier for players without a commanders tag to find groups to play content if they missed the reset times for that content.

The last big thing that I would like to see is "grandmaster" trait lines, basically do a reverse of the Elite trait lines. I envision it being marketed as your character fully mastering the fundamentals of their profession. So your first trait line becomes fully unlocked, can only slot core trait lines, but you're able to have all nine traits active at the same time. This is obviously a HUGE power creep, so its not something I would want to see until the final expansion as a final hurrah to go out on, but it would be a very satisfying way to give players a final expansions worth of power to challenge whatever that final boss ends up being. Like imagine a Weaver that has full access to the air trait line getting Lightning Rod, Fresh Air, and Bolt to the Heart all at once. A ton of extra synergy and fun ways to experiment.

15 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Just curious, what is the golden age of GW2 to you? 

The best time I ever had in this game was Pre Hot silverwaste.

I never actually played GW2 in what I consider its prime (HoT/PoF). I was busy with other things.

But I joined GW2 mid-IBS around the time EoD was announced. Spent a lot of time playing and enjoying what was effectively a finished out HoT/PoF era, with the minor embarrassment that was IBS and the hope that EoD would be a return to form. Then EoD released, was not at the same level, and I've been spending the past year and a half hoping that maybe it would just get ironed out like all expacs do.

It never did. Instead of refining and fleshing itself out to be more in line with the HoT/PoF level of quality and scale that drew me into the game, it has instead remained stubbornly shallow, and progressively warping the rest of the game to normalize it. And now with SotO they are outright reaching back into HoT/PoF and changing/obviating so much that those won't even feel like the same quality, distinct experiences they once were.

After much angst and thought, I have settled on the mindset that SotO really is an attempt to soft reset the game as GW2.0, taking what it wants from earlier expacs and leaving the rest to decay. Maybe the devs have a plan to bolster this Guild Wars New vision. Maybe after several years of even more balancing and development hell it will reach a new equilibrium. But I am pretty confident that if/when it does, it will not be the same game that I enjoyed for the past few years, and I am not inclined to escort it through all those growing pains on a mere hope that it will get better, not after IBS and EoD. So I will likely be taking an indefinite leave soon.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

I never actually played GW2 in what I consider its prime (HoT/PoF). I was busy with other things.

But I joined GW2 mid-IBS around the time EoD was announced. Spent a lot of time playing and enjoying what was effectively a finished out HoT/PoF era, with the minor embarrassment that was IBS and the hope that EoD would be a return to form. Then EoD released, was not at the same level, and I've been spending the past year and a half hoping that maybe it would just get ironed out like all expacs do.

It never did. Instead of refining and fleshing itself out to be more in line with the HoT/PoF level of quality and scale that drew me into the game, it has instead remained stubbornly shallow, and progressively warping the rest of the game to normalize it. And now with SotO they are outright reaching back into HoT/PoF and changing/obviating so much that those won't even feel like the same quality, distinct experiences they once were.

After much angst and thought, I have settled on the mindset that SotO really is an attempt to soft reset the game as GW2.0, taking what it wants from earlier expacs and leaving the rest to decay. Maybe the devs have a plan to bolster this Guild Wars New vision. Maybe after several years of even more balancing and development hell it will reach a new equilibrium. But I am pretty confident that if/when it does, it will not be the same game that I enjoyed for the past few years, and I am not inclined to escort it through all those growing pains on a mere hope that it will get better, not after IBS and EoD. So I will likely be taking an indefinite leave soon.

Sometimes when I read posts like this, I'm asking myself what people even do ingame. 

Like, I have no idea whats even the problem. 

I do a around 4 hour long meta train each day with the main focus of talking with other players.  Add 3 to 5 strikes each day. 

With my personal main complain being Anet killing my builds every balance patch. 😡

All I want from SotO is new Meta events that I can add to my train. New strike missions that the average Joe wants to do. 

And a decent story to play once. 

If I get that, I'm happy. 

20 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

How did we even get here? I mean, that obvious. 

It's just, im feed up with people not willing to pay money for a product just because it's in the MMO genre. 

Somehow, that's where people start to debate over every single nook and cranny. 

Meanwhile, other game Studios can throw out the biggest pile of garbage and people are like. 70$ for a glorified beta test? 

A game that offers like 100 hours of content if even? 

No problem! 

I'm just annoyed that Anet, who does in my opinion rather good quality content, had to fight so freaking hard to get people to give them even a dime. 

But that's just an idiot ranting. 😅

Golden era to me was heart of thorns in hindsight.

Even to they said it was the feature expansion were they built the infrastructure for further expansions.

It seems to me it had more content then either of the expansions we got after it.

And I count the living story seasons as stand alone.

• Confused 1