Chasing Tales: Elusive Skirmisher

Solvar.7953

The Chasing Tales: Elusive Skirmisher requires killing 10 enemies in thunderhead peaks with a shortbow without being struck (Wiki clarifies it is 10 in a row).  But I'm not getting this to work - I definitely killed more than 10 elementals without taking damage - this is in the put on the east side of the map where there are ledges one can hang out on and not get hit.  I used that same area to complete the similar chasing tales rifle achievement.

My thought now is that since I'm using a condi ranger, and all the shortbow attacks inflict condi, it is in fact condi killing some of the enemies and this is breaking the streak (it was certainly true at one time that condi kills would not count as kills for that specific weapon)  But before switching to a class/build which is pure power and giving that a shot, wondering if others have done this and how they did it.

It is perhaps somewhat ironic that one of the other chasing tales shortbow achievements is to inflict conditions, so one would have thought this would have been taken into account.

Yeah, this is a dumb thing.

The best thing you can do is gear yourself entirely in power gear, take off any condition damage improving traits and then make sure to last hit them with a skill that has enough power to kill them for sure. That way your condis will be so weak, it doesn't really matter. On ranger specifically, probably merge with a power pet too.

I did this on Renegade, first softening with Icerazor (which only applies vulnerability) and then casting 54 on shortbow - 5 has a relatively slow travel speed so it hits at the same time as 4 more or less and that gave me a fairly safe way to always get the kill with the power damage portion.

I don't think a condi-kill necessarily breaks the streak but it certainly doesn't count towards it.

Edited by Endaris.1452
  • Confused 1

I got the achievement, but I'm not sure if it isn't bug, in that the listed requirement (kill 10 creatures without taking damage) isn't the actual requirement.

I switched to my thief, whose shortbow #1 skill does not inflict any conditions.  I killed at least 30 oil elementals and did not get the achievement, and I also watched and saw there were no conditions applied.  My thief was a power build.

But the north meta was finishing up, and so not to be a complete waste of time, I decided to join that - I joined just as the riftstalkers were being killed and the wrathbringer showed up. I know I took damage during that fight, but when opening all the chests after the fight, I got that achievement.

This makes me think that despite what it says, what you have to in fact do is kill 10 (or some number) of branded enemies, and taking/not taking damage isn't the requirement.  Many of the other chasing tales achievements have a requirement of killing some number of branded.

For most players, this probably isn't an issue - just playing the metas will get the achievements as there are enough branded there to kill.  But thought I'd share in case others have the same problem - but I don't really have definitive enough data (no secondary account to test on) to know if this is really the requirement or not.

• 2 weeks later...

You've probably got this by now, but I also had difficulty... my eventual workaround was to 'hunt' the Branded Fish near the Southern waypoint... they respawn quickly and you just jump from one to another and pick them off from on top of the ice...  I'll admit, it leaves you feeling kinda icky to go about it like that, but if you're struggling, it's way to get it done quickly... 

• 3 weeks later...

Some of these achievements are very bugged, there was a thread back in 2019 about Chasing Tales.

I am still struggling with Wossaul und Mosa - completed all deeds (even got the 2AP achievement for them) but the meta achievement (Wossaul the Giant) does not progress and I can´t finish it therefor.