Which Profession to Choose?

Hello, I’m new to Guild Wars 2 and I’ve only been playing it for about a week now. I enjoy playing MMORPGs with friends and I usually play the back line healer/priest archetype when we do. I’m struggling to find a class that fits my play style of back line casting and supporting. I’m currently playing through with a guardian in hopes that the firebrand will resemble something I’m looking for. However, I’ve been told that Firebrands find most of their success in PvE content and are played closer near frontline positions rather than the back line. I also looked into Tempest and core Elementalist but many people have told me that Elementalists don’t offer as much value to a party as their Elite Specs and that the Tempest plays more like a frontline healer with AOEs centered around themselves. I’m at a loss as to what I should do. Should I stick with the current profession I’m playing or should I switch to a different profession entirely? Does Guild Wars 2 even offer that kind of priest like archetype profession? Are backline caster healer builds even viable in end game content? Could I play any core classes to end game for what I’m looking for? Ideally I’d like a profession that finds success in every part of the game whether it may be PvE, PvP, or WvW. 

I currently own the PoF and HoT expansions so I have access to all elite specs there. 

(TLDR: I want to play a back line healer but I don’t know which profession suits that play style. Please Help)

Edited by Boba Soba.8712

Both tempest and guardian do more dmg close up. Tempest's overload air is mid range dmg, fire shoots projectiles but does more dmg in melee, earth is melee, and water which is your main support tool is just healing and just needs to be in range of others. I use staff and can backline cast, you just camp water and let others do dmg which is back line casting. Tempests is ok in pve, pvp, and wvw, but are better in pve and pvp because other proffesions can provide more boons, but tempest is good at healing.

Along those lines FB does more dmg in melee because of its weapons, but equipping staff or scepter is enough to tag things. The tomes which are your main support just require you to be in range of allies. FB in general is the best support because it provides quickness and is best for wvw, raids, or pve, but I would not recommend it for pvp because of its low self sustain. If you want a support guardian build for pvp use core guard.

Also I would consider druid as it is an alternative. I uses a staff and is very good support as well, it you can build so that it does no melee although having a melee option is usually a good idea just in case. I would suggest this for you best because it does more dmg at range (using shortbow) and is good in all game modes. (note: I find the auto attack on staff very boring and I don't like druid that much. However this is a personal preference.

Edited by Infinity.2876

I'm afraid your typical "backline caster" does not exist in GW2. There isn't really a distinction between front- and backline. In order to play efficiently, players tend to stack close to each other, due to how (aoe) healing, buffs and ressing work, which all requires more or less close proximity for good uptimes. This more or less applies to all game modes, and especially to endgame pve and organised grp play in WvW.

This doesn't mean there is no room for ranged builds and in fact those tend to be favourable in many encounters, because they are more flexible with their positioning and movement. When it comes to ranged healing in particular, druid is your best bet, however firebrand and tempest also have some ranged support options. But regardless of your choice, you will still have to stay close to your allies a lot of the time, if you want to use your spec to it's full potential.

Edited by Zyreva.1078
  • Thanks 1

Your wish fits Guild Wars 1, not 2.
However, GW1 is not the classic MMORPG, since all content is instanced.

GW2 builds often have skills with a short range. Stacking is a tactic in this game because of shared boons/effects/synergy.

The armor of the Support Firebrand can either be Ministrel (high defense, no offence) or Harrier (no defense, little bit offence). And guard itself wears the heavy armor.

Edited by Lucy.3728

This can also depend on how good you are at multitasking.  Theres little to no focused healing, and all support roles are either based on careful timing, or 100% boon uptime. 

You'll also have to start wrapping your mind around the idea that even the non-combat support builds are made to be highly aggressive, or full on Front line positions.  The issue is that theres no real structured Trinity, so back line spots are just as, if not more vulnerable as mid positions, due to lack of aggro control.  The only exception being Raids.  But in raids, its far safer to be CLUSTERED, unless specific mechanics require you spread out.    Almost all support skills are AOE in nature, and nearly all of them center on the caster. 

So the real question should be "why do you want to be a backline healer specifically?", as opposed to just filling a job type?