Can someone explain relic of the necromancer to me?

The fear condition makes things run away from the area.  It also locks them out of their skills, I think. 
I would think that I would use fear to get my opponents away from an objective, or to temporarily remove an opponent from the battle so that I can deal with other opponents, or I might use fear so that I can run away.
I fail to see why I would want my opponents to move more slowly away.  This relic looks like some kind of voluntary debuff.
If I wanted to attack a helpless opponent, surely I would want to root them in place? stun or daze them?  Why would I want to chase them even if they are slow?  Stationary targets are easier to hit.

I think that if the relic granted feared targets superspeed, for the duration of the fear effect, it may be useful.   The further they run away the longer it will take for them to get back.  or the further away I can run.  

Am I wrong in thinking this way?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Am I wrong in thinking this way?

seems like your assessment is logical to me. As a necromancer, who regularly uses a fear field. The way you described: make them run so you can get a chance for your healing to cool down. Make them run so you can get away. Make them run so you can deal with the other, split the attackers. Etc. 

Since its a necromancer rune look at what is specific to the necromancer. 

Its Death shroud. 

Now death shroud has 2 skills that would benefit from enemies slowly fearing away: Life Transfer and Tainted Shackles. 

Tainted Shackles:  Begin binding nearby enemies with your life force, pulsing out conditions; they can break this binding if they get far enough away from you. Bound foes are immobilized if the binding finishes.

So you kind of trap them away from you, making them unable to hit you, and you can bind them longer. Without your own fear pushing them away out of your tainted shackles skill

Thats the only benefit i can think of. Maybe someone has a better idea. 

• Like 2

is two seconds of immobilize worth it? especially if I can increase my fear duration. I think that I would value the fear effect more.  Getting people off of objectives in spvp ect.  The other necros would find benefit in this fake chill effect?  I assume it only lasts for as long as the target is afraid.

10 minutes ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

Since its a necromancer rune look at what is specific to the necromancer. 

Its Death shroud. 

Now death shroud has 2 skills that would benefit from enemies slowly fearing away: Life Transfer and Tainted Shackles. 

Tainted Shackles:  Begin binding nearby enemies with your life force, pulsing out conditions; they can break this binding if they get far enough away from you. Bound foes are immobilized if the binding finishes.

So you kind of trap them away from you, making them unable to hit you, and you can bind them longer. Without your own fear pushing them away out of your tainted shackles skill

Thats the only benefit i can think of. Maybe someone has a better idea. 

that makes sense

Necro has a trait that caps out your fear duration which would make the rune obsolete.  And yes, group play doesn’t appreciate fear or knock backs.  But I’m with you, make them run really far to get them away from whatever.  If you don’t need that, don’t fear them.

Edited by Matt H.6142