That one occasional toxic moment in fractal groups

Fenrir.1742

Bit of a soft rant but I was looking through LFG for a pug group for usual T4 dailies, listing wanted a healer which I main. Instead of the daily + rec listing, dude turns on CMs and asks me to play DPS last second. Mmk, team wipes 4 times and my ping is high in that instance, we make it to the final boss of the fractal, wipe 3 times again so I just quietly swap back to heals and bam, clear with no more problems. Everyone else in the group was pretty chill, but presumably the guy making the decisions told me he hates when people join then leave and that he was gonna block me. Cool, understandable, I don't think I want to play with someone I'm forced to carry unannounced surprise CMs at midnight when I just wanted to rush T4 normally before bed who can't look at their own lfg listing. Wound up staying up later and found a better group. I'm just glad the toxic% is low minority because late night pugging is rough enough as it is. Anyway, feel free to post your own rant experiences, just wanted to share this because it was pretty out there from my usual experience doing instanced content in general.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1. I do CMs+T4+Recs almost daily, and I have never ever seen anyone not advertozing in advance that they intend on doing the CMs. It is more likely that you have joined the wrong party in LFG (misclicks happen 😉).

2. You probably joined about the same time as another player who announced their role as support before you could announce yours. That is likely why the party leader asked you to swap to DPS.

3. In case I am wrong with my aforementioned assumptions: apologies. 😁
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

People not updating the lfg though ... can happen. I am only up to the end of T3 now. At least there I have regularly seen people announcing "T3 + recs" or something like that ... and when you join you sometimes find in the middle of that. (Some already finished and it not having announced in the lfg.)

Maybe those people in your thing did all the other stuff and then decided to do CMs as well and one or two left and they put the group back in lfg ... by just putting it back without checking the description (that still keeps at the previous text unless you manualla update and edit it).

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:
  1. I do CMs+T4+Recs almost daily, and I have never ever seen anyone not advertozing in advance that they intend on doing the CMs. It is more likely that you have joined the wrong party in LFG (misclicks happen 😉).

2. You probably joined about the same time as another player who announced their role as support before you could announce yours. That is likely why the party leader asked you to swap to DPS.

Just to clarify, I always read and I am careful about joining groups in LFG, there was no mention of CMs at all, but most of the group just went along with it/complied to try anyways. The problem was that he was being negative about it because people were already leaving and I just wanted to announce I had to go, wasn't trying to be mean but yeah. He should have checked CM in LFG and updated if he needed it.

For 2, it just came up in LFG and it was late night, there were 4 in and I was watching LFG as it came up asking for a healer, there were no other healers in the party (as I found out when we went in) - so it was all dps when I swapped, which some groups are known to do, but it wasn't working in that case and nobody was prepared for it.

You're all good, I didn't really clarify that in the initial post but I'm experienced with full raid armor sets and while I do enjoy CMs it definitely isn't late at night that I would!

11 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

People not updating the lfg though ... can happen. I am only up to the end of T3 now. At least there I have regularly seen people announcing "T3 + recs" or something like that ... and when you join you sometimes find in the middle of that. (Some already finished and it not having announced in the lfg.)

Maybe those people in your thing did all the other stuff and then decided to do CMs as well and one or two left and they put the group back in lfg ... by just putting it back without checking the description (that still keeps at the previous text unless you manualla update and edit it).

This is most likely what could have happened and probably why he got mad when I didn't want to stick to it, I was actually tired so it shouldn't have been alarming I wouldn't want to stick to doing CMs, and yep! It keeps precious text, just was a weird instance when it happened is all. It would also explain why they were all DPS, still, just baffles me someone is bothered that badly because I couldn't stay, wasn't trying to be mean or anything.

Thanks for this! I didn't really think about that as a thing, usually people seem to check lfg descriptions but I usually just host my own LFG for fractals and just felt like seeing what was already up when I did.

On 9/18/2023 at 1:39 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

i've been doing them for years and while having a group random enable the challenge mote when it was advertised as a regular group is uncommon, it does happen. more recently players have been asking if they can enable it first, whereas they used to just do it without permission.

pugs will generally click yes when this happens because they want to experience it for their first time.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Thanks 2