Rifts are not consistently marked on maps

When you only get a directional hint from the orb, it's less likely you'll make it in time to a T1 rift.  This can make rift hunting especially frustrating and unrewarding.  I've seen arguments in chat between those who won't acknowledge the problem and those having understandable difficulty with it.  Is this on the developers' radar at all?  Is it intentional to only mark some active rifts and not others when you use the orb?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well if someone is closer then you they get the same marked rift and it can be over before you get there mate.

You're missing the point.  When it's marked on the map, you can port to a nearby waypoint and generally have a more direct, faster route.  You can of course always arrive late, but it's much less likely when the rift is marked on the map.  Someday, maybe you'll experience a string of unmarked rifts that close before you arrive and you'll realize how discouraging it can be.  I've stopped sessions of rift hunting myself several times because of this problem.  It's not worth the time in my opinion if this is what's intended.

• Like 3

I've had the same issue before with rifts not showing on the map. Meaning the red circle is nowhere to be found on the map. What I typically do is logout to character select and log back in and use the heart of the obscure again and it makes the red circle appear, but not all the time. I've had to logout to character select and back up to 4 times to make the red rift circle appear on the map. I'm assuming this is the issue the op is talking about.

• Like 1

Very valid response and accurate for the average casual player to encounter but in my personal experience it's happened even despite knowing about map layers as many don't even think of that when navigating the maps. I've had it happen on maps without layers even. The daily today was complete a krytis rift, and I was in Skywatch at the time and used my heart of the obscure and sure enough no red circle on any layer but I still can see the "wind" direction towards it. Thankfully it's a soto zone and I've pretty much memorized the static spawn locations of the rifts based on the direction of the wind to counter this issue when it happens.

29 minutes ago, JadeX.1265 said:

Very valid response and accurate for the average casual player to encounter but in my personal experience it's happened even despite knowing about map layers as many don't even think of that when navigating the maps. I've had it happen on maps without layers even. The daily today was complete a krytis rift, and I was in Skywatch at the time and used my heart of the obscure and sure enough no red circle on any layer but I still can see the "wind" direction towards it. Thankfully it's a soto zone and I've pretty much memorized the static spawn locations of the rifts based on the direction of the wind to counter this issue when it happens.

Well I thought there were no ring if the rift was not opened yet.

• Like 1

I'd say I only saw a map indicator about 20-25% of the time. The majority of the time all I had to work with was a vague "thataway" from the blue magic egg. Sometimes it would change mid-travel, presumably targeting a new one after the first was closed. Even when that happened it was still only a small minority of the events that ever spawned a map indicator.

Once I finished the story, I stopped doing them. The whole map is a competition with other players to get to the rift (or skyscale nest) first, because if you show up a couple seconds too late, too bad so sad better luck next time. Ping-ponging back and forth on that annoying map for absolutely nothing, chasing in vague directions hoping you'll get there in time to at least tag something, you know what?

kitten that.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

I'd say I only saw a map indicator about 20-25% of the time. The majority of the time all I had to work with was a vague "thataway" from the blue magic egg. Sometimes it would change mid-travel, presumably targeting a new one after the first was closed. Even when that happened it was still only a small minority of the events that ever spawned a map indicator.

Once I finished the story, I stopped doing them. The whole map is a competition with other players to get to the rift (or skyscale nest) first, because if you show up a couple seconds too late, too bad so sad better luck next time. Ping-ponging back and forth on that annoying map for absolutely nothing, chasing in vague directions hoping you'll get there in time to at least tag something, you know what?

kitten that.

Guess its best just to stand at a riftspawn semi afk with a ranger pet or jade mech then eh?

1 minute ago, Linken.6345 said:

Guess its best just to stand at a riftspawn semi afk with a ranger pet or jade mech then eh?

😄 It might save a little time, but otherwise it would amount to the same thing: lots of downtime with no rifts being done.

I just lost all patience with chasing around after them, especially when doing them was part of the story required for progression. Once that finally got done, no more rifts for me, praise the Five (Six minus Balthazar).

Bringing this back up, because it seems not to be fixed after the September 26 patch. When using the Heart of the Obscure to highlight a rift, and not getting there in time to participate (which can easily happen when it's already running and about to be done), all rifts afterwards are not marked on the map or showing event information in the top right corner, you can only see the visual hint (magic particles?) around the character.

Yes, there is a workaround, go to character select and back into the game, to make it work again, but it's extremely inconvenient and time consuming. Any chances for a fix anytime soon? Thank you!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just logged in and decided to play a rift or more this Saturday afternoon.  I used the scanner in a new map which showed a rift boss that was too far away to get to in time.  No big deal, I'll scan for the next one.  As is typical, the next scan does not mark the map.  I contemplate logging out and back in to counter this bug, instead I decide not to and just log out.  Subsequently, I play GW2 less often these days.  

Edited by PepeLePewPew.2107
grammar
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I've never even looked at the map to track a t1 rift, I just follow the particle stream. I consider arriving late a bonus: the less I have to participate in the pre-event, the better. Just riding/flying a mount across the landscape is far more entertaining than killing dozens of cannon-fodder Kryptis. A few hits on a single one is enough for the reward anyway.

Edited by Manasa Devi.7958

• 5 weeks later...

I kept wondering the same.

Sometimes the circle would be on the map, other times it would not, regardless of the current state of the event.

Sometimes the event shows up on the side tracker when it is active, sometimes it doesn't (if this were consistent at least we'd have soe idea how far along it is before rushing headlong across the map).

What I would like to see is a new marker on the map when the Heart is used for tracking a rift. Don't depend on the event to be running or what map layer it is on, etc. Just put a kryptis rift marker on the map and, if possible, make sure the event shows on the tracker if it is already active.

Rift hunting is tedious enough as it is, at least give us the tools to make it less frustrating.

It is highly annoying that they are inconsistently showing versus not showing.  It would be much easier for us to know if we should WP to an area that is closer to the Rift versus trying to go there, and there have been times that I have missed out on participation due to not using a WP that was nearby since I did not know exactly where the Rift was.