Tactical Strike Question

irishking.8956

Yeah that's a weird one. Although you lose stealth you sometimes get revealed if you hit your target split seconds after you went out of stealth. Nectard blocked your TS the first time but I don't know how lol. Tactical Strike went on CD. You lost stealth before the second hit could connect so you you hit him with your normal Auto. Then the bug which I described happend. Technically you didn't hit the Nectard with TS but still got revealed. 

Are you reporting that the attacks beyond 130 are giving the block keyword and failing, or is the video supposed to show something different? 

Not sure what the video is showing because you never used it from 170; the blocked attack on the necro was within 130 as even CnD was in range.

Because if it's about the attack rate, all stealth attacks go on a brief cooldown when the hit fails to land as to give opponents the time to notice effects like Aegis expired and to give them a chance to reapply them.

I'm lost so i have to be exactly at 170 range for the tactical strike to work? i thought it was 170 range or less.  i also checked the distance with blish and it looks like im at exactly 130 when i tried to use tactical strike. Also side note  I didn't know stealth attacks go on a quick C/D when you miss thanks for that. how long is the C/D for 1 second?

It's 170 or less.  I just don't understand what you're referencing because you weren't attacking between 130-170 in the video.  You were always under 130 when using Tac Strike.

Cloak and Dagger has a range of 130, and you can tell if a skill is within range because on the skill bar, when you have a target selected which can be attacked a small red bar/underline will be displayed on the bottom inside edge of the icon for each skill which is out of range to hit.  This applies to melee and ranged attacks.

You can observe this at the 2 second mark when precasting CnD; it has the red underline during precast + steal, and it disappears when the skill completes/lands and stays clear the rest of the video.  Therefore, when you were activating Tac Strike, you were already within 130 units, rather than between 131 and 170, as if you were over 130, CnD would have the red underline but Tac Strike would not.

The "Block" popup will also not occur if a skill is used out of range of the target.  "Block" only occurs for skills which were otherwise successful, but were negated via a block mechanic.  This to me suggests the first instance of Tac Strike was used in its range, but was blocked by the target somehow, instead.

The "block" part on the Necromancer target dummy is the weird part, since there was no sign of Aegis or other defensive effect/necromancers do not have access to block mechanics.

Otherwise, the only other possibility is it's some kind of bug on Tac Strike causing it to randomly fail, but has seemingly nothing to do with casting range itself.

2 hours ago, irishking.8956 said:

I'm lost so i have to be exactly at 170 range for the tactical strike to work? i thought it was 170 range or less.  i also checked the distance with blish and it looks like im at exactly 130 when i tried to use tactical strike. Also side note  I didn't know stealth attacks go on a quick C/D when you miss thanks for that. how long is the C/D for 1 second?

It's 170 or less.  I just don't understand what you're referencing because you weren't attacking between 130-170 in the video.  You were always under 130 when using Tac Strike.

Cloak and Dagger has a range of 130, and you can tell if a skill is within range because on the skill bar, when you have a target selected which can be attacked a small red bar/underline will be displayed on the bottom inside edge of the icon for each skill which is out of range to hit.  This applies to melee and ranged attacks.

You can observe this at the 2 second mark when precasting CnD; it has the red underline during precast + steal, and it disappears when the skill completes/lands and stays clear the rest of the video.  Therefore, when you were activating Tac Strike, you were already within 130 units, rather than between 131 and 170, as if you were over 130, CnD would have the red underline but Tac Strike would not.

The "Block" popup will also not occur if a skill is used out of range of the target.  "Block" only occurs for skills which were otherwise successful, but were negated via a block mechanic.  This to me suggests the first instance of Tac Strike was used in its range, but was blocked by the target somehow, instead.

The "block" part on the Necromancer target dummy is the weird part, since there was no sign of Aegis or other defensive effect/necromancers do not have access to block mechanics.

Otherwise, the only other possibility is it's some kind of bug on Tac Strike causing it to randomly fail, but has seemingly nothing to do with casting range itself.

ah okay i thought tactitcal strike was bugged and saying i wasn't in range to perform the ability but it was on C/D because of the mysterious block. idk if it's the target dummy or the skill but this happens to me in PvP games. Doesn't it kick you out of stealth if someone blocks your attack with something like aegis?

When I whack on the class NPC's in HotM, they often have very weird behavior like this. Oftentimes I'll get skills randomly blocked, and their dodgeframes will at times last an extended duration, registering sometimes as blocks as well. TBH I think something is just messed up with how the class target dummies are coded. If you find it happening against an actual player, post a vid of it because I don't think I've ever seen this occur against any enemy that doesn't self-produce aegis. Aegis never registered on its boonbar either which makes me further think it's just the dummy being borked.

Edited by Za Shaloc.3908

On 9/24/2023 at 6:28 PM, irishking.8956 said:

ah okay i thought tactitcal strike was bugged and saying i wasn't in range to perform the ability but it was on C/D because of the mysterious block. idk if it's the target dummy or the skill but this happens to me in PvP games. Doesn't it kick you out of stealth if someone blocks your attack with something like aegis?

I've never seen this occur on another player without aegis or a block mechanic.  Be sure said players aren't receiving the Aegis boon, and share again a clip if it happens in a matchmade game.

As for being kicked out of stealth:  No.  Stealth is only removed when you either:

- Successfully deliver an attack dealing power-based skill damage during its duration (even if that means a 0-damage hit such as attacking a target with Endure Pain or Signet of Stone), or;

- If the Stealth effect itself times out before committing to an animation which would otherwise reveal you (so you can't simply buffer an animation at 2.99 seconds and have no Revealed penalty when the animation finishes/damage lands). 

Blocks, true Invulnerability effects (like from Renewed Focus), Distortion, and Blind will all negate the attack from landing in the first place and thus will not impose Revealed or remove stealth from the failed attack.  The cooldown on stealth skills was added because simply removing stealth/forcing Revealed after a failed attack was considered too punishing for the thief, as Aegis would effectively make the target completely immune to stealth attacks.

It's just the pvp lobby npc behavior. The same block mark shows up when you hit them during their dodge rolls, instead of a miss like usual.

The AI seems to proc the block/dodge most when multiple hits come in quick succession. Sometimes the animation doesn't play, usually in situations like that on engage with stealth, where the npc doesn't have a target/hasn't moved yet, so the animation just doesn't play for whatever reason