It's a shame most old content is abandoned the moment a new expansion is released

Player.2475

... especially if the old content like EoD was only released a year ago. EoD's Living Story feels unfinished, its masteries, metas and strikes buggy and unpolished. Fishing is in a messy state it's been in when the expansion launched, even though there have been hundreds of threads suggesting on how to improve it, or complaining about the lackluster and somewhat punishing Dawn/Dusk cycles, losing fishing stacks if your skiff is attacked and you're unable to fend off attackers, etc.

I understand that not all old content is abandoned, but a game mode like WvW had to wait almost a decade before receiving any meaningful changes, only for the developers to stop paying attention after leaving defense in a completely broken state because their new bonus rewards made it too rewarding to sit on an objective.

If the quality of expansions made it worth the tradeoff it would be one thing, but they can't even be bothered to finish half of an expansion before they launch and start selling it at full price, lmao. Is this the way forward? A quick cash-grab that you abandon within two weeks so you can start pushing out the next cash-grab?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 6

EoD was a time-bomb. People only go to those maps for story completion, achievements and making gen3 legendaries. One of the biggest problems is the lower map population cap which encourages people to leave for no good reason eg: the meta is running so there's a temporary spike, and another is the fishing power stack loss when you leave a map. It's always seemed odd to me that we can carry jade battery charges and jade protocol buff duration to other maps but not fishing stacks.

The issue really is that if the player population isn't growing, it gets spread thinner as content increases or congregates on the most profitable/newest areas until the shine wears-off. What keeps older maps alive is desirable items and/or the collections to acquire said items.

• Like 2

I wonder why they are releasing new maps at all. The player population certainly doesn't grow proportionally with the number of maps. So thinning out elsewhere is inevitable.

Keeping this system going only makes it worse. They'd need to actually close maps/content.

SotO came out too fast for me too.
I wasn't bored at all and didn't feel the need for new content.
Would be happy to see the bugs addressed that have been there for years and annoy me every day.

• Like 3