Scrapper is Still Incredibly Strong In Open World

mandala.8507

On 10/7/2023 at 5:28 PM, mandala.8507 said:

Not to single you out with this, because it's more a response to the thread as a whole, but I simply don't agree that the sustain is bad or that this build is somehow terrible for harder solo content.

I'm actually not all that interested in a build's ability to solo Path of Fire legendary bounties, T3 rifts, and the like when I'm considering the strengths of an open world build. I understand that there are many condi builds out there that put the dps potential of Scrapper to shame on these extended fights in the hands of skilled players, but most of those builds are hilariously unfun in day-to-day casual open world play, which is more my focus.

I also don't put much weight behind the strength of builds that require rigorous mechanical turnover or that are reliant on spammy, unintuitive, or complex/convoluted skill prios to maintain perfectly optimized boon uptime and passive sustain. Most people who play this game will either fail miserably to achieve the requisite apm for the build to function or will refuse to learn the skill priority well enough and just end up pressing random buttons in an order that nullifies any of the build's strengths or skill synergies.

Builds without ample breathing room on boon uptime or tolerance for improper skill ordering ultimately fail to satisfy players below a certain skill threshold, and these are the players who I think open world buildcraft should be catered toward, as they are the vast majority.

Anyway.

If the "worst spec for soloing tougher content" is in the room with us somewhere, it hasn't been anywhere near me:

I mean....Yeah ok Scrapper can do that. But Holosmith and Mechanist can also do the same thing but better. The only thing Scrapper really has over both of them is survivability but even that is dependent of the amount of mobs around. In fights where you can consistently hit 5 mobs then yes Scrapper has more survivability than Holo and Mech. But as you reduces the amount of mobs (so hits) Scrapper can do, Holosmith and Mechanist survivability increases and in a 1 v 1 situation both Holo and Mech definitely has better survivability.

Another thing is that Scrapper damage output isnt great. Holosmith and Mechanist can do that job much better. Holosmith can just stack burn very fast and Mechanist can greed firearms and explosive trait without trading too much survivability if you run celestial. Both will just outdamage Scrapper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Jerus.4350 said:

For PVE I think it’s fine.  Still plenty of superspeed and barrier with power builds.  It’s a simpler pDPS compared to Holo or Core at a minimal damage loss that I think is well worth the QoL gains.  (Holo has forge in addition to the standard rotation, and core has dodges and positioning requirements)

For PVP/WvW though, yeah feels like it’s been hit in every direction and just a shadow of what it is in PVE and was before.  Not terrible but feels terrible.

Which is very counter intuitive, considering Scrapper was meant to be what Herald is now.

Having Scrappers be better off by themselves running full Pdps builds than in a team providing boons/healing/special buffs (superspeed/stealth) makes 0 sense, and yet here we are. 

If you want, here's my solution. 

Make Gyros function similarly to Heralds Facets, but to avoid copying them, Gyros could instead of boons provide effects.

Medic gyro could provide a set number of healing to 5 allies.

Purge gyro could just cleanse 1/2 conditions every few seconds to 5 allies.

Bulwark gyro can stay the same but it would stay up until the player disables it manually.

Blast. Gyro could provide Unblockable buff to 5 allies every few seconds.

Sneak gyro can stay the same but again, it will stay up until disabled. (Yes I do mean passive perma stealth for 5 people, but this could be balanced by let's say... Sneak gyro disables all other gyros while it's active and for a duration after it's deactivation

Shredder Gyro can be the same and it could be Scrappers way to perma quickness if Kinetic Accelerators get reworked to include whirl finishers.

All Gyros will keep their combo fields and they will loose their final strike effects (since they would be toggle skills). Then just make a Power mechanic where too many Gyros at once will cause a shutdown for a set amount of time.

Edited by jason.1083
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, jason.1083 said:

Which is very counter intuitive, considering Scrapper was meant to be what Herald is now.

Having Scrappers be better off by themselves running full Pdps builds than in a team providing boons/healing/special buffs (superspeed/stealth) makes 0 sense, and yet here we are. 

If you want, here's my solution. 

Make Gyros function similarly to Heralds Facets, but to avoid copying them, Gyros could instead of boons provide effects.

Medic gyro could provide a set number of healing to 5 allies.

Purge gyro could just cleanse 1/2 conditions every few seconds to 5 allies.

Bulwark gyro can stay the same but it would stay up until the player disables it manually.

Blast. Gyro could provide Unblockable buff to 5 allies every few seconds.

Sneak gyro can stay the same but again, it will stay up until disabled. (Yes I do mean passive perma stealth for 5 people, but this could be balanced by let's say... Sneak gyro disables all other gyros while it's active and for a duration after it's deactivation

Shredder Gyro can be the same and it could be Scrappers way to perma quickness if Kinetic Accelerators get reworked to include whirl finishers.

All Gyros will keep their combo fields and they will loose their final strike effects (since they would be toggle skills). Then just make a Power mechanic where too many Gyros at once will cause a shutdown for a set amount of time.

This actually look pretty fun! Also update the gyro visual. Make them actually visible XD

• 2 months later...

I think scrapper is insane. So i recently had a solid break and came back to find some good OP builds to faceroll on with fair dps in cele and tanky without too complicated playstyle. Well ofc i always have my mirage to faceroll stuff with illusions and thats surely as op as ever mechanically. But i wanted try something else.

First i went for reaper full cele steup, ppl seemed to be going nuts about how op it is. Well, it really isn't that OP certainly not that tanky as everyone thinks it is. It's hp bar can go up and down like a yoyo even with 30k+ hp in cele and if youre facetanking hard stuff it will come under too much pressure and you need be more active to avoid taking that much dmg or you cant outsustain in.

So i tried scrapper for the first time and just building the theorycraft on gw2skills i knew this was gonna be nasty as kitten. During the craft ive decided to trade a couple of dmg increasing traits for defensive ones, it would prob be possible to get 25% more dmg by not doing so but survival is king really in the OP solo builds, you dont need to try to instant delete everything. It's all about killing comfortably and safely that will allow you to take on the biggest challenges more than dropping lots of survival to pump dps more will.

The combination of amazing active heals, amazing passive heals, tons of barriers, stunbreaks, evade frames, block durations,  several sources of stability and superspeed is insane. I really doubt there are many setups that can have as much sustain as scrapper if you actually use your brain and take the right traits instead of some 5-10% dmg increase that u MUST HAVE. If it would also be able to have permanent protection it would just be way over the top imo. It still can get like 9/25 uptime on protection in cele without trying too hard and almost full uptime if you trait for it instead of rapid regeneration but rapid regen is NUTS.

Those barriers in combinations with absolutely insane heals over time are like a perfect combo and so strong . The heal skill is really strong it heals like 10k on a 20sec cd thats 500/sec and then the passive heal ticks in at 800/s. Then lets say youre doing 10k dps (you can go higher) thats 500barrier/s, per target. You also have water fields, you can even put more healing from mortar. 2k sustain per second is prob a good estimation. And you also have blinding fields on short cd, up to 2 if needed. You could also bulwark gyro for more barrier. Depending on your build you can have melee weapon + grenades for mid range and even mortar for long range + superspeed and can just kite around even more if the pressure on you is too high. If you find it to be weak to survive and faceroll with all of that then i really think you got problems lol.

I honestly feel like im cheating its so easy hahah.

Edited by Crackmonster.2790
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Worth noting that now, with the recent Pscrapper buffs, a full gyro and Mortar build can do 20k DPS SOLO with no sharpening Stone, no food and no protocols. It can tackle everything OW trow at you, and with comfort. (1kPlus  barriers per mob Is no joke.)