WvW roaming options

Villy.8047

With the nerf to one wolf pack and untamed being quite weak in WvW, it seems to me that ranger lacks options for roaming.

There is the option to play druid, but I personally struggle vs other celestial builds. It could be a l2p issue though as I'm not yet comfortable with druid. Tips are welcome 🙂

What do you think? Do you enjoy the current state of WvW roamer options?

PS: I know SB and untamed is playable, I just find them significantly weaker than most meta builds.

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Villy.8047 said:

With the nerf to one wolf pack and untamed being quite weak in WvW, it seems to me that ranger lacks options for roaming.

There is the option to play druid, but I personally struggle vs other celestial builds. It could be a l2p issue though as I'm not yet comfortable with druid. Tips are welcome 🙂

PS: I know SB and untamed is playable, I just find them significantly weaker than most meta builds.

You are rigth in wvw as whole ranger dont have much going on either in roaming or grp play.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I've been roaming on the dual dagger/staff, nature magic, wilderness survival untamed build with spore utility skill. Definitely not meta for roaming but I find it fun and has good survivability and is mechanically fun to me. Only thing that kinda sucks is staff and superapeed from unleashing is only mobility u have so u arnt chasing or running away from any roamers with mobility.

Edited by Psycoprophet.8107
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Villy.8047 said:

Hey, not really a true roaming build, but I've been having fun with this one (full cele also works quite well, but less meme):

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Villy.8047 said:

This is about to be long but I'm putting it in detail incase a developer may come across it for understanding what is wrong.

Power builds (the main functional one was soulbeast) did certainly take a big hit after the nerfs. It wasn't this nerf alone that hurt SLB, but it was nerfs over time that finally made it collapse, like longbow and pet nerfs.

I think the problem "CMC" had with ranger was using one wolf pack with staff, since staff is a better power weapon than longbow, especially after the nerfs to it over the years. Rather than nerf power damage on staff (druid hasnt used power builds since HoT), after opening up weapon sets balanced around specific elite specs, he gave a 70%+ nerf to OWP, crippling many power builds for SLB without considering that untamed/core ranger don't have the mobility to be able to roam effectively, and druid doesn't have a kit to effectively go full power.. Add to this the removal of trapper runes in favour of the relic system that removed disengage/repositioning for roaming specs that don't have mobility.

I'm glad they are updating pets after years of being outdated, but the changes are mediocre at best, and they are breaking one of power rangers most reliable pets - the smokescale. It comes across as an attempt at disguising a net loss. Just my personal opinion, but I think this was due to power soulbeast being one of the few things that keep the broken Block/invuln spam Catalyst (his main) in check.

My apologies for how long this is, but it also to explain why the most effective roaming builds right now are with condition druid.. or you make power soulbeast work as is (feels similar to power spellbreaker right after the removal of all damage on CC skills with a class built around CC).

For those of you that are claiming that your dagger dagger (insert something here) builds are good and fun, please understand that the ability to disengage/engage and mobility are the most important parts of creating a roaming spec. Sure you might be able to win some 1v1's, but in WvW - you will be constantly outnumbered - and this is your only equalizer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/2/2023 at 11:35 PM, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Only thing that kinda sucks is staff and superapeed from unleashing is only mobility u have so u arnt chasing or running away from any roamers with mobility.

So all roamers?

Sounds like your build would be best suited to small group where your allies can cover that particular weakness. When solo, mobility is king.

• Like 1

I'm currently roaming on Sword/Dagger and Shortbow cele soulbeast. I gave up bothering with power, you had to give up all utility to realistically one shot anyone even before the nerfs. So my move to cele really felt like a matter of necessity. I lean into immobilize and poison to win fights, Muddy Terrain, Vulture Stance, Entangle, etc. while using the two melee evades for sustain. It can keep up perma-swiftness with the quickening screech on owl. The only downside really is that the damage output is probably quite low compared to other classes on cele.

2 hours ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

So all roamers?

Sounds like your build would be best suited to small group where your allies can cover that particular weakness. When solo, mobility is king.

Yeah 100%. I can usually win 1v1 vs most roamers but if out numbered u get caught easy without slb mobility with owl and greatsword but after yrs y get bored of the power slb builds.

1 hour ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Yeah 100%. I can usually win 1v1 vs most roamers but if out numbered u get caught easy without slb mobility with owl and greatsword but after yrs y get bored of the power slb builds.

The two worst feelings roaming solo. When you are losing a fight and can't escape and when you are winning a fight and the enemy escapes.

Similarly, the best feelings are when the enemy runs and you chase them down and finish them, and when you escape a tough situation to taunt from afar.

1 hour ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

The two worst feelings roaming solo. When you are losing a fight and can't escape and when you are winning a fight and the enemy escapes.

Similarly, the best feelings are when the enemy runs and you chase them down and finish them, and when you escape a tough situation to taunt from afar.

Yeah haha true