GW2 Sales/Revenue/Earnings Report 3Q-2023

Zok.4956

Posted (edited)

Im curious if anyone has motivation to buy things from the gemstore now that gw3 development was mentioned/released/leaked.  I know my motivation to play or buy anything is extremely low now because of this. Its even crazier that they announced it and its not immediately around the corner, which is what makes me think it was a leak.  Seems like a huge blunder to me.  I mean why buy things from the gemstore if they dont transfer to gw3, which is possibly coming soonish?  And if not, then why even talk about it lol

Edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

Im curious if anyone has motivation to buy things from the gemstore now that gw3 development was mentioned/released/leaked.  I know my motivation to play or buy anything is extremely low now because of this. Its even crazier that they announced it and its not immediately around the corner, which is what makes me think it was a leak.  Seems like a huge blunder to me.  I mean why buy things from the gemstore if they dont transfer to gw3, which is possibly coming soonish?  And if not, then why even talk about it lol

Yup, I too like to make today's decisions based on what may or may not happen in 5 years. For instance I'll avoid air travel from now on and wait for teleportation instead.

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

Well considering its gonna take time for gw3 to be made I will unlikely change my spending habits. Regardless of whether you buy gemstore/expansions etc it's a one time purchase that you can keep as long as the game still runs, and considering that gw1 is still running, I imagine gw2 will be around for a long time.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Passerbye.6291 said:

Yup, I too like to make today's decisions based on what may or may not happen in 5 years. For instance I'll avoid air travel from now on and wait for teleportation instead.

and you know its coming out 5 years from now how?  Not good considering you could expect an mmo to last 20 years or more when looking at wow, and other similar games like ffxiv, which is clearly poised to last 20 years or more. Not fun hearing that the game will either EOS soon or simply be abandoned content wise.  Makes me not want to spend a dime.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dibit.6259 said:

Well considering its gonna take time for gw3 to be made I will unlikely change my spending habits. Regardless of whether you buy gemstore/expansions etc it's a one time purchase that you can keep as long as the game still runs, and considering that gw1 is still running, I imagine gw2 will be around for a long time.

yah gw1 is running and has been abandoned lol, so when you say its running, it just means the servers are up and theres no new content for last 12 years lol.  game is basically dead they might as well EOS it, which is what gw2 will clearly become when gw3 comes out.  SO now you can imagine why some people are not happy about this news.

and yes i would have continued to play gw1 but they cannibalized their own playerbase from gw1 and stopped making content for it, and said hey all the new stuff is on gw2, and if you dont like it oh well.  YAH GREAT, so wonderful we get to do it again with gw2, NO THANKS

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

and you know its coming out 5 years from now how?  ....Not fun hearing that the game will either EOS soon or simply be abandoned content wise. 

Pot meet Kettle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Pot meet Kettle.

LOL oh well im going off of ANET past precedent behavior which is to abandon their previous game, offer a pittance for veterans and say all the new stuff is on gw2.  YOU liked gw1 and would rather play that, sure but theirs NO new content for it.... EVER.  GEE who would play gw2 once gw3 comes out LOL? would you?  Unlike gw1, gw2 wont be playable once the playerbase leaves, we have no hero's or henchies. + im sure they'll be no new content for it either just like gw1, since all the devs will move over to gw2. Since anet  is not a very large studio, they wont be able to support both games.

• Like 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

and you know its coming out 5 years from now how?  Not good considering you could expect an mmo to last 20 years or more when looking at wow, and other similar games like ffxiv, which is clearly poised to last 20 years or more. Not fun hearing that the game will either EOS soon or simply be abandoned content wise.  Makes me not want to spend a dime.

That's the point, we don't know buddy, you are basing your decisions today on something you have no solid knowledge of. The one thing we do know is that it isn't happening any time soon. But you know what, sure, don't spend money on the game if that makes you happier mate. Also, if you truly base your expectations of the longevity of an MMO on 1 or 2 outliers (final fantasy isn't even close to 20 years yet btw), I'd question your judgment, cause let's be real here, there are very few MMOs that are older than 20 years and still popular.

Edited by Passerbye.6291
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

yah gw1 is running and has been abandoned lol, so when you say its running, it just means the servers are up and theres no new content for last 12 years lol.  game is basically dead they might as well EOS it, which is what gw2 will clearly become when gw3 comes out.  SO now you can imagine why some people are not happy about this news.

and yes i would have continued to play gw1 but they cannibalized their own playerbase from gw1 and stopped making content for it, and said hey all the new stuff is on gw2, and if you dont like it oh well.  YAH GREAT, so wonderful we get to do it again with gw2, NO THANKS

It may not get new content but it doesn't mean its abandoned, they would have closed it down if that was the case because it costs money to run. Even if they stop releasing content for gw2 with the release of gw3 people will still play gw2.

Have you considered people may still play for nostalgia or just even the fact they may still enjoy the game? Games can still be fun without any new content, how do you think console games do so well. Also why you playing gw1 if it's dead?

You seem like one of these people that constantly seek out more, more, more but doesn't mean that not getting more makes something bad. I particularly like anet's model of "once you buy it it's yours to keep for the foreseeable future" rather than "you'll get more stuff but for limited time or you need to pay a constant subscription" some other games have.

Edited by Dibit.6259
Typos
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/6/2024 at 3:39 AM, Dibit.6259 said:

It may not get new content but it doesn't mean its abandoned, they would have closed it down if that was the case because it costs money to run. Even if they stop releasing content for gw2 with the release of gw3 people will still play gw2.

Have you considered people may still play for nostalgia or just even the fact they may still enjoy the game? Games can still be fun without any new content, how do you think console games do so well. Also why you playing gw1 if it's dead?

You seem like one of these people that constantly seek out more, more, more but doesn't mean that not getting more makes something bad. I particularly like anet's model of "once you buy it it's yours to keep for the foreseeable future" rather than "you'll get more stuff but for limited time or you need to pay a constant subscription" some other games have.

mmos are not fun without new content lmao

• Like 3
  • Confused 7

On 5/5/2024 at 11:27 PM, Passerbye.6291 said:

It's more like the difference between knowing that you are a mortal, so you (and everyone else you know) will definitely die at some undefined point in the future, and learning that you (or someone else you know) might have a terminal disease. if you really think the latter won't affect anyone's behaviour, you don't know a lot about psychology.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's more like the difference between knowing that you are a mortal, so you (and everyone else you know) will definitely die at some undefined point in the future, and learning that you (or someone else you know) might have a terminal disease. if you really think the latter won't affect anyone's behaviour, you don't know a lot about psychology.

It is more like reading on the internet that you have a chance of getting a terminal disease and then changing your behaviour because of it, which is paranoid, but you know, you guys do you.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Passerbye.6291 said:

It is more like reading on the internet that you have a chance of getting a terminal disease and then changing your behaviour because of it, which is paranoid, but you know, you guys do you.

It's more like overhearing your doctor talking to someone else about you (or, again someone you know) having a terminal disease. And, when confronted, said doctor responding that you might have misheard, because they are still diagnosing it and aren't 100% sure. But no worries, if they'll feel you (or abovementioned person you know) will be dying soon, they will then let you know.

Again, if you think there'd be no change in behaviour after that you don't know human psychology at all.

Granted, the example i've given is more extreme than what is happening, but there's a difference between knowing in general something won't last, and hearing about it having an already decided term of expiry.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's more like overhearing your doctor talking to someone else about you (or, again someone you know) having a terminal disease. And, when confronted, said doctor responding that you might have misheard, because they are still diagnosing it and aren't 100% sure. But no worries, if they'll feel you (or abovementioned person you know) will be dying soon, they will then let you know.

We're starting to compare a new game and what would happen to the old game to terminal diseases now???  😬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Again, if you think there'd be no change in behaviour after that you don't know human psychology at all.

First of all, the fact that many people might behave a certain way doesn't make it intelligent or logical, the average person's behaviour is questionable at best. 

Also, more games die in development than they make it to release. Letting alone the fact that we have nothing really solid at the moment. But as I said feel free to change your behaviour, I'll be chilling here, enjoying the game while you guys doom and gloom. 

I truly don't appreciate the attitude of "how dare a company make a sequel after 11 years!" (which will likely make it to 15 years before said game releases, if it releases at all). You guys literally have one example where they put one game in maintenance mode to make a sequel, and the sequel is a vastly different game, and you use that to somehow recognize a pattern and extrapolate from that, because noone thought you that you need a healthy sample pool to make such deductions in school.

Good luck with that disease.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Dibit.6259 said:

We're starting to compare a new game and what would happen to the old game to terminal diseases now???  😬

No, we're talking about the difference in perception between knowing that something is finite in general, knowing something has a specified expiry date, and hearing unconfirmed (but believable, and coming from a good source) information that it might have a specified expiry date.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Astralporing.1957 said:

No, we're talking about the difference in perception between knowing that something is finite in general, knowing something has a specified expiry date, and hearing unconfirmed (but believable, and coming from a good source) information that it might have a specified expiry date.

Please tell me the specified expiry date, I haven't heard a release date, you must have new info.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Passerbye.6291 said:

First of all, the fact that many people might behave a certain way doesn't make it intelligent or logical, the average person's behaviour is questionable at best.

Call to logic is a poor argumentwhen we realize that playing this game is itself not logical.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Call to ogic is a poor argumentwhen we realize that playing this game is itself not logical.

I find it fairly logical, I have time to spare, and I play the game to enjoy myself, the end goal of my life being happiness, this seems like a very logical approach to me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Passerbye.6291 said:

Please tell me the specified expiry date, I haven't heard a release date, you must have new info.

If there's a replacement game in development, there is a n expiry date. It might not have been announced, but it does exist.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

Posted (edited)

If there's a replacement game in development, there is a n expiry date. It might not have been announced, but it does exist.

Where is the "specified" date mate?

Edited by Passerbye.6291
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Passerbye.6291 said:

I find it fairly logical, I have time to spare, and I play the game to enjoy myself, the end goal of my life being happiness, this seems like a very logical approach to me.

Enjoyment itself is not logical. It's based on emotions, which are the exact opposite of logic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Enjoyment itself is not logical. It's based on emotions, which are the exact opposite of logic.

Enjoyment itself doesn't have to be logical, the decision making and actions taken to achieve enjoyment do.

Edited by Passerbye.6291
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Then why not write this? Why compare it to a terminal disease? I don’t think you understand the implications of your comparison. That or you have underestimated the feelings that come from terminal diseases.

Edited by Dibit.6259
Dyslexia moment
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Passerbye.6291 said:

Enjoyment itself doesn't have to be logical, the decision making and actions taken to achieve enjoymend do.

Basis for enjoyment is not logical. Mine, for example, requires not having to worry about the future of this game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5