(Suggestion) DPS League

Ithilwen.1529

In another game world, I have recently qualified for the community-run DPS league. I think such a thing might work well in GW2

It works this way: Teams for "Special Task Force" ( stf ) missions are 5 players. To compete in the league, you must choose one of the prescribed STFs. You use an approved 3rd party DPS monitor which can be triggered to upload a report to the league website. It also does some evaluating for cheating, such as an incomplete report.

Your DPS record is then listed and you are sorted into the appropriate fleet. ( I think I just made Silver Fleet, waiting to hear. ) If the record is accepted, you are invited to that fleet channel. ( This is roughly equivalent to a guild invitation. )

Here's why this is cool; Your team is not a large factor. True, a very well coordinated and organized team can boost dps for each player. You can still compete and turn in an acceptable performance as a solo.

The DPS is averaged over the entire game. This means afk and death will destroy your score.

Although you are fighting, you are really competing against yourself. Like racing in a pool. You're competing against the person in the other lane, but the real enemy is you.

ANET could easily implement a DPS scoreboard. Since PvP is famously all equal gear, everyone would be able to compete on an equal basis. This would also remove most of the advantage of smurfing. ( Though I can see potential exploits using a duo partner. ) Just measure each player's DPS during matches.

A fair point.

This is why the DPS runs are restricted to specific maps. Some of the scenarios in the other game have long periods where fighting is a waste and you need to do some other task.

The DPS collection could be restricted to, say, the practice ring in HotM. This would still have issues like people logging in at odd hours hoping for easy opponents or partnering and having one partner not resist. Still, it would be in the public eye, which would slow down the exploiting somewhat.

I hope that this idea would make individual skill a much bigger factor and give everyone an equal chance coming in.

Good points.

This could actually extend a form of PvP into raids, fractals, dungeons. The Shatterer DPS leader board is a quick example. PvE becomes a PvP "test." Hell, ANET could even have rotating events. This week, we're measuring dps during SB. A reason to go to unpopular events.

You would almost certainly need to break it down by class. It's true that an Auramancer would have little -to-no chance in a DPS contest. It's also true that Ele has multiple builds available, some of which can push out a lot of damage.

@Ithilwen.1529 said:It's a different form of competition and a different measure of performance. What I like about it is that it's individual and not really team dependent. It can't really be corrupted by a bad class on the other team either.

No, it's not competitive at all. Lets look at two scenarios:1) Your Thief is doing his job - hes decaping, and doing +1. So, his DPS is non-existent, because hes not fightning for most of the time, and when he does, hes bursting wounded target while +1. You win that match.2) Your Thief isn't doing his job - hes bashing enemy Firebrand for entire match on already capped node by that Firebrand. So, your "amazing" Thief is #1 on DPS chart. You lose that match.

OK, again; A dps measure could be community run. It could add a PvP element to PvE play, such as dungeons or fractals. Ultimately, this could encourage players to PvP.

DPS is a different measure that is of individual performance. I would make the claim that such a measure is sorely lacking in PvP. I'm suggesting that this could be a separate and parallel measure of performance.

@Ithilwen.1529 said:OK, again; A dps measure could be community run. It could add a PvP element to PvE play, such as dungeons or fractals. Ultimately, this could encourage players to PvP.

DPS is a different measure that is of individual performance. I would make the claim that such a measure is sorely lacking in PvP. I'm suggesting that this could be a separate and parallel measure of performance.

...and Quaggan believes it would bring more toxicity.People who perform horribly, would have excuse to do horrible things, just because "hey, I was top DPS, so kitten your kitten!".

@Ithilwen.1529 said:OK, again; A dps measure could be community run. It could add a PvP element to PvE play, such as dungeons or fractals. Ultimately, this could encourage players to PvP.

I think you're missing the point of PvP. Individual performance is not measured by how much damage you do... Not to mention that the scoreboard at the top of the screen shows points teams gain through securing kills and holding points. Doing damage does nothing to increase that score.

There is already a "top damage" stat that shows you how much damage you've done over the course of a match (as well as several others such as healing). If you really care so much about stats, post in map chat about how much damage you did at the end. People will find it funny.

In my opinion, this suggestion is really, really bad and serves no purpose in the game. It would actually cause players to perform worse because they would be focusing on doing damage rather than actually contributing to the team. As of the time of this post, none of your responses have gotten any thumbs up. Which, even if they aren't vocal about it, shows that the community does not support or agree with this idea.

Archived