Change My Mind: Nearly All Shadowsteps/Teleports Should Require Target

Gotejjeken.1267

12 hours ago, Oahkahmewolf.6210 said:

Every classes dazes are design different, some are just better than others and some kinda useless when classes have a mobility with a built in stun-break.  I personally don't have a problem with mobility at all in the game, I just think its over inflated and breaking the game integrity in design and I can see why people have issue with over-inflated mobility. 

Your suggested solutions won’t change anything about this that Daze doesn’t already do… if they introduce a new condition specifically to prevent teleports, then I guarantee you it will also be subject to stun-breaks. If someone uses a teleport with a built in stun-break, then it will go off the same way it does now when they are Dazed.

This whole “issue” is absurd anyways… mobility is not out of control at all. People in PvP just don’t use CC properly, and you don’t seem to recognize the simple fact that the most mobile classes in the game are all primarily close ranged… as for the OPs issue with ground target teleports… as others have said repeatedly, the solution is to fix the exploits not to destroy the skill functionality. Ground target teleports have a reason to exist whether you like it or not.

6 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

This whole “issue” is absurd anyways… mobility is not out of control at all. People in PvP just don’t use CC properly, and you don’t seem to recognize the simple fact that the most mobile classes in the game are all primarily close ranged… 

Ranger? Deadeye? lol

13 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

Right now, nothing you are contributing is answering the topic of "Should ground targeted teleports be made to require a target" which I say no, because it still doesn't support his reasoning, which is mobility creep. I ask him, like I am asking you, to call for nerfs instead of suggesting ground targeted teleports to have functionality changes. It's roundabout and actually solves nothing. 

You really want to call for nerfs? Okay then, shadowsteps should only go horizontally not vertically, may not go through walls or any other obstruction, and the only vertical teleport allowed are mesmer portals--we need to remove the thief variant in order to standardize roles again.  

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Ranger? Deadeye? lol

Despite what people think because of the name, Ranger is in fact a primarily melee profession and 2 of it's elite specs emphasize this even more. Deadeye is ranged focused yes, but Thief is primarily melee still and most of Deadeye's mobility comes from core Thief in the first place. Death's Advance is short range and only usable while Kneeling, and Shadow Swap requires you to first setup with Shadow Flare. Spectre has more mobility with it's wells but you won't ever see anyone complaining about them because they are terrible in PvP and counter intuitive in WvW... and of course no one EVER compalins about too much mobility in PvE, in PvE the issue is too little mobility.

10 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

This whole “issue” is absurd anyways… mobility is not out of control at all. People in PvP just don’t use CC properly, and you don’t seem to recognize the simple fact that the most mobile classes in the game are all primarily close ranged… as for the OPs issue with ground target teleports… as others have said repeatedly, the solution is to fix the exploits not to destroy the skill functionality. Ground target teleports have a reason to exist whether you like it or not.

It's funny how we have entire threads like this one about how mobility is out of control and players can be way too slippery, but then other players claiming that CC is too strong and can't be escaped. Sounds like good counter play to me! 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panda.1967 said:

Despite what people think because of the name, Ranger is in fact a primarily melee profession and 2 of it's elite specs emphasize this even more. 

Not to derail my own topic, however as one of the most vocal ranger mains on the forums, I disagree--outside of probably raids, double melee ranger isn't viable really anywhere. 

None of the elite specs really emphasize melee either--on Druid nearly all your CA abilities are ranged, and staff is ranged (leaving weapon master out of equation).  Soulbeast and Untamed came with melee spec weapons, however both have always operated at range with Sic' Em Soulbeast being the pre-dominant method for years and untamed with the pet ambushes which occur away from the ranger and do not require it to be melee--unlike Mechanist who is punished for being away from the mech.  

I doubt mace changes this, in 90%+ of the game modes you will still get say Longbow / Mace + Wh or Longbow / Sword + Mace or Mace + Wh / Shortbow or Mace + Mace / Axe / Wh---range is always there. 

Now for the topic, of course I'd rather at least UT be a ground targeted shadowstep, but realize it requires a target to avoid all the issues that occur with other classes that have ground targeted skills which cause topics like this to be made.  

Also, as an aside about specter...you may want to check again, they are very much used in sPvP 😉.

• Confused 2

On 11/19/2023 at 7:45 PM, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Are there actual use cases for ground targets outside PvE skips / WvW exploits, running endlessly up vertical walls in WvW / SPvP, etc.?

On Wing 7's final boss the Pylon Kiters need to be able to grab the orbs without being outside the range of their Pylon long enough for it to tether to the boss, and shadowstep effects are the only thing fast enough to consistently do that.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 7:45 PM, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Are there actual use cases for ground targets outside PvE skips / WvW exploits, running endlessly up vertical walls in WvW / SPvP, etc.?

On Wing 7's final boss the Pylon Kiters need to be able to grab the orbs without being outside the range of their Pylon long enough for it to tether to the boss, and shadowstep effects are the only thing fast enough to consistently do that.