Warrior Main Hand Pistol Concept

HeliosMagi.9867

I've been brainstorming ideas for what I'd like to see if Warrior ever got access to MH Pistol to compliment his offhand one, and flavor-wise I drew inspiration from hand cannons, grenade launchers, and sawn-off shotguns. I recommend imagining these with one of the bigger pistol skins such as The Keenest Cut.

1: Shrapnel Round

Fire a shot that does damage on impact and explodes into shrapnel, dealing additional damage to enemies in a small radius around the target. Also applies Bleeding if the Crack Shot trait is taken.

Combo Finisher: Projectile (20%)

2: Napalm Round

Fire an explosive shot that deals explosive damage to and covers the target and enemies in a small radius around it in Napalm.

Unique Status: Napalm. Rapidly gain stacks of Burning over time. Effect spread to others close by. Enter water or dodge roll twice to remove this.

Combo Field: Fire

Explosion

3: AP Round

Fire an armor-piercing shot that does high strike damage and applies Vulnerability. Effect halved for enemies struck beyond the first.

Ammo: 2

Pierces

Combo Finisher: Projectile

Burst: Scattershot

Fire a shotgun blast that inflicts damage and bleeds. Deal double damage and bleed and inflict knock-back on foes close to you.

Combo Finisher: Blast

Primal Burst: Dragon's Breath

Fire a blast of flame and force that damages and inflicts burning. Deal double damage and burning and knock back foes that are close to you.

Combo Finisher: Blast.

My intent was to make a weapon that as many Warrior builds could utilize as possible. It's designed to deal roughly equal amount of Strike and Condi damage, so both Power and Condi builds can get good use out of it. Having a knockback effect on the burst not only fits with the shotgun aspect, it also allows it to synergize with Spellbreaker. Making it an Ammo skill adds some uniqueness to it, being able to do 2 bursts back-to-back, evoking the image of a double-barreled shotgun. It also allows support Berserker to hold a burst in reserve while still providing Quickness, so it can use it on demand to provide a burst of healing with Karakosa Relic. Napalm Round was born out of me really wanting access to a Fire Field on it but not wanting to just copy Longbow 3. So I though instead of just lighting an area on fire, you just light the target on fire but they spread it to their allies? It also counts as an explosive for Bladesworn synergy. AP Round is mostly just there because power builds don't have much access to vulnerability in the open world.

What do you guys think?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, HeliosMagi.9867 said:

Fire an explosive shot that deals explosive damage to and covers the target and enemies in a small radius around it in Napalm.

Unique Status: Napalm. Rapidly gain stacks of Burning over time. Effect spread to others close by. Enter water or dodge roll twice to remove this.

This sounds ridiculously oppressive, and its the first of its kind to be this sort of lingering status debuff. 

I think it'll already be sufficiently strong with the initial explosion application without the spreading effect. 

58 minutes ago, Yasai.3549 said:

This sounds ridiculously oppressive, and its the first of its kind to be this sort of lingering status debuff.

It's only fair if Warrior gets such a mechanic, given that Staff didn't get a weapon-specific mechanic, while other weapons in this round got one.

That aside, whether it ended up being oppressive or not would depend on the numbers. And with Warrior in general being undertuned in that regard, such a mechanic would likely not be much different.

26 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

It's only fair if Warrior gets such a mechanic, given that Staff didn't get a weapon-specific mechanic, while other weapons in this round got one.

Ehhh just because Warrior needs help doesn't mean they need questionably strong stuff to compensate. They need the other stuff buffed more than some shiny new toy that dominates no?

26 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

That aside, whether it ended up being oppressive or not would depend on the numbers. And with Warrior in general being undertuned in that regard, such a mechanic would likely not be much different.

The only number to factor is how long the debuff lasts because OP already specifically mention Burning stacks and rapidly. Now Burning is a problematic condition to stack rapidly because it has really high coefficients. Then this Napalm effect is designed to force people to burn two rolls, which honestly seems abit much already. The part which I kinda think is bordering onto "okay this feels abit overloaded" is the spreading part. 

I think having a nice decent AoE upon explosion and giving the max cap targets napalm each is already a significantly devastating effect for 1 cooldown. You're talking about forcing around 5 people to burn 2 dodge rolls or burn condi cleanses. That's pretty much imo. Especially in maps where there is no water, like Skyhammer. Oof. The victims MUST power through the effect or burn 2 dodge rolls. Very yikes. Initial targets minus the spreading would be sufficiently powerful is my stance. 

Edited by Yasai.3549

1 hour ago, Yasai.3549 said:

The only number to factor is how long the debuff lasts because OP already specifically mention Burning stacks and rapidly.

In Warrior's context, "rapidly" may mean something as slow as one stack per second. And the Burning itself may only have a during of one second. So, even if the unique mechanic had a during of 20 seconds, it wouldn't be a lot of burning.

And don't forget that this iteration already two counters build into it:

19 hours ago, HeliosMagi.9867 said:

1 hour ago, Yasai.3549 said:

Then this Napalm effect is designed to force people to burn two rolls, which honestly seems abit much already.

This isn't really burning any rolls, as people should eventually dodge anyway, ending the effect early. If people refuse to dodge or panic-dodge, they should die.

Overall, I don't think any of this would be over-powered. The professions team would do their best to make sure that Warrior doesn't get the numbers to dominate anywhere.

Edited by Fueki.4753