where are my characters

i had three characters, one being 80 that i leveled with my wife years ago. I finally decide to upgrade to dlc with the heart of thorns and path of fire bundle. Logging injust to find everything character gone. its the same account launched through steam , they were there this morning. I was playing those characters only hours ago... im on my home server. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Armgears.4528 said:

i had three characters, one being 80 that i leveled with my wife years ago. I finally decide to upgrade to dlc with the heart of thorns and path of fire bundle. Logging injust to find everything character gone. its the same account launched through steam , they were there this morning. I was playing those characters only hours ago... im on my home server. 

Are you really sure it's the same account? If you used your steam login it's actually not the same one, as the old one (if it's multiple years old) can't be a steam account and Anet and Steam accounts are two different things.

Ord did you use -provider Portal to launch the non Steam version?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Armgears.4528 said:

its the same account launched through steam , they were there this morning. I was playing those characters only hours ago... im on my home server.

When you launch the game through Steam, you are playing on a Steam account, not your original account.  Also, don't buy expansion content through Steam and expect it to apply to your original account.

You need to launch the game from a desktop shortcut that does not use the Steam launcher.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053416353-Steam-FAQ

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Armgears.4528 said:

i had three characters, one being 80 that i leveled with my wife years ago. I finally decide to upgrade to dlc with the heart of thorns and path of fire bundle. Logging injust to find everything character gone. its the same account launched through steam, they were there this morning. I was playing those characters only hours ago... im on my home server. 

See if you can get a refund through support on those newly purchased expansions.

As others already explained, you created a GW2 Steam account by purchasing those on Steam.

Launching a non-Steam game through Steam doesn't magically turn it into a Steam-owned game. Apparently, your old account was not purchased and activated on Steam (if you did play it through Steam, you must have added a shortcut to your Steam Game Library, but that's just a means to play it via the Steam client).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2