Some Thoughts About Shortbow Changes

Drag You Down.2615

2 hours ago, revolucion.7518 said:

It is very appropriate that you took the Shortbow to the Junkyard, best place for it really. It can join all the turrets, several gadgets, elixirs, kits, gyros, etc. And of course the entire Inventions traitline.

It is sad to see that playing Engineer has become an exercise in choosing the least bad options for your build while watching the developers twiddle a damage number up or down repeatedly over the course of many balance patches.

Where did it all go wrong?

Weird view of this and how you think this is only an engineer problem. Same can be said of any spec really.

16 hours ago, Tiviana.2650 said:

I dont know about that maybe as dps boon, but heal brand heck no lol

There's a known burn build for guardian that is Staff/Scepter/Torch for WvW which is specifically for nuking AoEs. I do not understand where people are getting this pov that Guardian Staff does no damage.

It does. You just need to build for it. Which by the way, is what we're asking for Shortbow here. Literally, just add a Explosion tag to either all skills or all chain reactions and half of the problems of the weapon will vanish because we'll be able to proc Shrapnel, Boomer and Temper. Just Shrapnel will go far into bringing the weapon into real offensive support territory beyond hoping our 1.8k barrier will be enough to help the zerg pushing not get nuked by the 15k+ bursts this game allows others to vomit upon us.

( Disclaimer: speaking specifically about WvW here )

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ravenwulfe.5360 said:

Weird view of this and how you think this is only an engineer problem. Same can be said of any spec really.

Not all, certainly not to the same extent. Turrets, for instance, were supposed to have been a big part of engineer's identity, and they've been dead since before Heart of Thorns. There's real potential to rework them into something that fits into the game, similar to what they've done with mesmer phantasms, guardian spirit weapons, and ranger spirits, but apparently they're just not a priority.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Not all, certainly not to the same extent. Turrets, for instance, were supposed to have been a big part of engineer's identity, and they've been dead since before Heart of Thorns. There's real potential to rework them into something that fits into the game, similar to what they've done with mesmer phantasms, guardian spirit weapons, and ranger spirits, but apparently they're just not a priority.

There are skillsets and even specs in other professions that are now ignored. Hell even entire weapon sets, no it's not really unique to Engie.

18 minutes ago, Ravenwulfe.5360 said:

There are skillsets and even specs in other professions that are now ignored. Hell even entire weapon sets, no it's not really unique to Engie.

There are individual skills that are bad, weapons that are bad, some traitlines that are bad. Nobody's saying that everything that isn't engineer is fine. I'd say that some professions are even worse off. But an implication that every profession is equally bad is patently untrue.

Turrets were supposed to be a core part of their identity. They're the spiritual successor to ritualist spirits (if you go back to the Factions marketing, even, ritualist was basically an exercise in making an engineer playstyle in a setting that had a lower tech level). I'm pretty sure no other profession has had a functionality completely abandoned for nearly a full decade now that was a core part of its identity.

10 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

There are individual skills that are bad, weapons that are bad, some traitlines that are bad. Nobody's saying that everything that isn't engineer is fine. I'd say that some professions are even worse off. But an implication that every profession is equally bad is patently untrue.

Turrets were supposed to be a core part of their identity. They're the spiritual successor to ritualist spirits (if you go back to the Factions marketing, even, ritualist was basically an exercise in making an engineer playstyle in a setting that had a lower tech level). I'm pretty sure no other profession has had a functionality completely abandoned for nearly a full decade now that was a core part of its identity.

To be fair to Anet, Spirit Weapons and Ranger Spirits were also pretty bad for a long time and took a while to rework into something playable. Ranger Spirits were very feast-or-famine and gimmicky, while Spirit Weapons were just borderline useless. At least Turret sees some lateral play in some builds like Static Discharge anything, or Power Scrapper. Also some insane savants like to use Magnet Pull into Rocket for the burst that Grenades used to have in Barrage.

But i don't disagree it took them too long to even give us some info about how the Turret Rework would go. Giving them the Spirit Weapon treatment is the way to go imo. It's very rare that an entire subsect of skills are bad, but it does happen. And again, Turrets do see some lateral play.

I’d love to see Turrets get the “rocket punch” treatment.  Place turrets and then they fire based off triggers that you do.  Rifle turret and flame turret fires every weapon 2 skill.  Net turret on 3s.  Thumper on 4s. And rocket on 5s.

Other options could work as well but this removes the automation which I think is the big issue that needs to be addressed with any rework.

• Like 1

Focusing back on shortbow. I like the idea of the weapon, but it need some sort of regen. It has probably already too much protection and no way to given regen.

For boondps, well I guess it is not comparable to hammer or rifle so better forget

Edited by Ando.2315
  • Like 3

Well I play with shortbow since the update play with it raids and fractals with my dps scrapper and it did well and as a alac dps mechinst and did ok I do feel it need alittle more on the damage. Because on my soulbeast ranger with double mace on my opener I had 35k dps and average out 23k on my soulbeast with mace so I feel they can make the shortbow with alittle more damage then it should be okay 

• Confused 1