Stop Forcing Us To Do Story to Progress the Game [Merged]

I don't understand why people even defend requiring the story to progress.

When a game like FFXIV whose first 200 hours of playtime revolve around walking from point A to point B and to A again manages to clown on Guild Wars 2 for supposedly having a much better story, I don't think the story is what's keeping players invested in Guild Wars 2

• Like 2
  • Confused 8

9 minutes ago, Player.2475 said:

Because it's a rather obvious way for the players to be guided towards/through the expansion's content. Anyone who doesn't need that guide can fairly easly skip it, as was already mentioned in this thread. Players who don't know how to get somewhere are probably the last ones who should skip the story.

I don't know how you "don't understand it", just read the thread.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

On 3/16/2024 at 3:10 AM, Spook.5847 said:

I am getting pretty tired of being forced to do story to unlock game updates/features.  Bad acting, unskippable cutscenes, lame voices, and boring content are not the way to encourage players to remain.  I want to only play the parts of the game I am interested in - I don't want to be forced to do anything at all.  And having PvP-oriented stuff as an "alternative" also sucks since that game mode is absolutely the worst.

How about this; we buy the game you sold, and you give us the game we bought, without any cutsey tricks sprung on us later to force us into doing what you want, and in the style you want?

why you play an mmorpg then?`go play league of legends or other short time based games.

when GW2 launched i spend first month in Queensdale doing events, exploring maps... was fun.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/20/2024 at 10:35 PM, Player.2475 said:

When a game like FFXIV whose first 200 hours of playtime revolve around walking from point A to point B and to A again manages to clown on Guild Wars 2 for supposedly having a much better story, I don't think the story is what's keeping players invested in Guild Wars 2

People mostly play GW2 because of the exact reason you mentioned, the game isn't 95% go to A, go to B to grab something, go back to A shoving story down your throat to progress inch by inch.

People are pointing out that OP is mad about having to spend ~3 hours to unlock all the content "locked" behind story progression that can't be just bypassed by using a TP to friend, not defending having to do story. None of the story is forced in the game as none of the content locked behind makes you a lot stronger. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

On 3/15/2024 at 7:10 PM, Spook.5847 said:

I am getting pretty tired of being forced to do story to unlock game updates/features.  Bad acting, unskippable cutscenes, lame voices, and boring content are not the way to encourage players to remain. 

Be careful what you wish for.  I'd take the cutscenes and lame voices over 'fill a bar' like Inner Nayos.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1