Untamed Bird DPS?

dlmoore.7293

I'm too lazy to test this myself and am not super concerned with specific numbers anyway but... how does the Bird pet dps fare with being able to turn off the quickening screech autocast on untamed? I know that was always the sticking point with Bird pets when I used to play years ago.

5 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Not enough to keep up with cats or things that can output a lot of CC:

Power Untamed Build - Guild Wars 2 - Snow Crows

In competitive it's too squishy for most circumstances to do any DPS, and merged its outclassed by Gazelle or other pets that have movement skills + CC.  

Are the cats more or less the same or is there some reason the tiger is listed twice (is that even possible to do?)?  I've been using the tiger and the jungle stalker because I heard cats have the best DPS and in solo the might on the stalker is useful.  Is there a better option for some reason?

12 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Are the cats more or less the same or is there some reason the tiger is listed twice (is that even possible to do?)?  I've been using the tiger and the jungle stalker because I heard cats have the best DPS and in solo the might on the stalker is useful.  Is there a better option for some reason?

Think cats have same DPS, but Tiger is chosen because of its Fury F2. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

I think Lynx is the highest DPS cat, if you're purely looking at the pet alone and not factoring in the added damage fury gives to the ranger etc.

Since SC suggests tiger even on pure dps builds that don't care about providing boons, i guess tiger now surpasses lynx in raw dps even without factoring it's fury application.

I did not test this myself tho and assume most cats are still very close to each other in terms of dps (maybe with the exception of the white tiger as lowest dps).

Edited by Zyreva.1078

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mic.1897 said:

Tiger is currently highest dps even without Fury

What would you use as the second pet to go with tiger?  I've been using tiger and jungle stalker, the stalker seems nice for solo with that big might boost entering combat.  I can't really tell what pets are doing outside of the basics of the tooltip, though.

There used to be a table that someone set up measuring the dps of every single pet (prior to EoD). Might take some searching but you would be able to find it eventually through Google. 

There are other factors to keep in mind like some above have mentioned, like CC. I would add even more important (in competitive) is the pets ability to track and land attacks against moving targets. Smokescale for example has undergone extensive and repeated nerfing and yet still remains a mandatory pet choice in most builds - now more so due to the smoke field, but previously it was because it was one of the few pets that could reliably hit enemy players. Aside from the jaguar, I remember my reasoning for NOT using cats was outside of the F2 ability, couldn't hit a target at all.

Lastly, with raid level buffs, Iboga used to be the highest dps condi pet and Jacaranda one of the most reliable sustained dps. I'm sure it's different now after all the balancing, but never been a fan of Lynx or tiger. 

My favourite pets with untamed are grey wolf/black moa/smokescale. Druid is the aether shark, iboga, Jacaranda, bristleback, Turtle, and smokescale. Soulbeast is black raven, white owl, Gazelle, grey wolf, pig, black moa.

On 4/9/2024 at 10:35 AM, AliamRationem.5172 said:

What would you use as the second pet to go with tiger?  I've been using tiger and jungle stalker, the stalker seems nice for solo with that big might boost entering combat.  I can't really tell what pets are doing outside of the basics of the tooltip, though.

If youre talking instances pve then the second pet is typically jungle stalker to help with might or gazelle for breakbar.

If open world main pet becomes a different conversation because stuff like jungle stalker and jacaranda are typically more useful when playing solo than tiger. A good 2nd pet would be gazelle or polar bear for the breakbar/tank combo (gazelle better break, bear better tank). Of the two gazelle is more useful more often but polar bear is a sleeper pick after the buffs, especially for those who dont yet have gazelle. Thing never dies and melts bars with its F2 lol

2 hours ago, Mic.1897 said:

If youre talking instances pve then the second pet is typically jungle stalker to help with might or gazelle for breakbar.

If open world main pet becomes a different conversation because stuff like jungle stalker and jacaranda are typically more useful when playing solo than tiger. A good 2nd pet would be gazelle or polar bear for the breakbar/tank combo (gazelle better break, bear better tank). Of the two gazelle is more useful more often but polar bear is a sleeper pick after the buffs, especially for those who dont yet have gazelle. Thing never dies and melts bars with its F2 lol

I've tried the gazelle but not the polar bear.  CC isn't much of an issue because I'm playing untamed with sword/axe and maces.  But I doubt the pet damage is very significant either way.