Help me pick a new profession

Daenxi.4530

OK i'm going to keep this short but to the point so 
I am a revenant main (Renegade) I enjoy the general versatility of it but specifically single target and AOE damage along with lots of unblockable damage (for countering Guardians), It was not easy to learn but I like being rewarded for engaging with the complexity of the profession and understanding the games mechanics. 
On the other hand I have just recently given up thief because it just doesn't feel strong in fights and I'm tired of being relegated to side noding and +1 in pvp while basically brining nothing to the table in group PVE content while at the same time actually being the weaker profession for even solo content (what a combination) 

So I need recommendations based on the following criteria:
No more +1ing I want to be able to run into fights knowing that I won't get downed by my opponents first round of burst damage if I mistime a single dodge.

Tanky I actually just want to be able to absorb a boatload of damage and keep on fighting 
Versatile- I want to be strong in 1v1s, small group fights  as well as 5v5s big team fights in mid, I also want to be able to handle myself when outnumbered 
Difficulty- I am not put off my hard to play professions or tricky mechanics but it seems like the most OP professions are easier to play anyway.

Match ups - I don't want to lose or at least be badly outmatched by Rangers, Guardians and Necromancers.

So given this criteria, someone recommend me something.

I’m ngl the easiest answer is to advise guardian, they basically are great at everything ur after. 

warrior could be a choice? Their fairly good in team fights as well as great duellists, but they don’t bring a lot in terms of pve. 

I’m rather limited in experience tho, someone else may know of something else in this term 

Edited by Magmi.6723

Willbender if you want to overperform in WvW and PvP.
Reaper in PvP if you just want to spam stunlock the entire enemy team for 2 minutes straight and stall every 1v1 with shroud.

Then in WvW there's unkillable cele builds with ridiculous mobility like Catalyst, but not sure how high the skill ceiling for those is.

If you like spamming 1shots and invul invul invul invul block block block block, Mesmer is also a decent option from what I have seen.
AFAIK all these specs can bring something to the table in PvE, though with different layouts.

• Sad 1

On 4/13/2024 at 2:49 PM, Daenxi.4530 said:

OK i'm going to keep this short but to the point so 
I am a revenant main (Renegade) I enjoy the general versatility of it but specifically single target and AOE damage along with lots of unblockable damage (for countering Guardians), It was not easy to learn but I like being rewarded for engaging with the complexity of the profession and understanding the games mechanics. 
On the other hand I have just recently given up thief because it just doesn't feel strong in fights and I'm tired of being relegated to side noding and +1 in pvp while basically brining nothing to the table in group PVE content while at the same time actually being the weaker profession for even solo content (what a combination) 

So I need recommendations based on the following criteria:
No more +1ing I want to be able to run into fights knowing that I won't get downed by my opponents first round of burst damage if I mistime a single dodge.

Tanky I actually just want to be able to absorb a boatload of damage and keep on fighting 
Versatile- I want to be strong in 1v1s, small group fights  as well as 5v5s big team fights in mid, I also want to be able to handle myself when outnumbered 
Difficulty- I am not put off my hard to play professions or tricky mechanics but it seems like the most OP professions are easier to play anyway.

Match ups - I don't want to lose or at least be badly outmatched by Rangers, Guardians and Necromancers.

So given this criteria, someone recommend me something.

Your answer is revenant => condi support vindi or duelist if needed.

• Alliance Stance/centaur stance

-retribution traitline: 1-2-2

-Salvation traitline: 3-2-1

-Vindicator traitline: 2-2-3

-Sage amulet/rune of the druid/relic of the flock.

-Mace/shield + shortbow => Sigils of transference + sigils of energy

3 hours ago, arazoth.7290 said:

Your answer is revenant => condi support vindi or duelist if needed.

• Alliance Stance/centaur stance

-retribution traitline: 1-2-2

-Salvation traitline: 3-2-1

-Vindicator traitline: 2-2-3

-Sage amulet/rune of the druid/relic of the flock.

-Mace/shield + shortbow => Sigils of transference + sigils of energy

ok thanks man I don't currently have end of dragons to play vindicator but I will take it into consideration once I buy it. TBH I already love the revenant and I am very happy with it I can even get good results on core rev in pvp but sometimes I just need an alternative profession to refresh my mind but not to too distant from the feel of the revenent if you know what I mean e.g Thief gives me the speedy agile feeling of shiro stance, Warrior gives me the tanky, condi cleanse and sustain of the dwarf stance (and of course I have thief alt at max level with a warrior at lvl 10 exclusively for pvp. I still don't know which profession will give me the feeling reminiscent of centaur stance or demon stance though.

Hrrrmn. It's probably a bit of a stereotype, but if you're looking for something rev-like that's not actually a rev, willbender (and to a lesser extent other guardian specs) probably is the closest. Not sure specifically what you're looking for with a feeling reminiscent of centaur or demon stance, but it is possible for guardian to pull off some things that feel at least somewhat similar, I think.

If you don't have EoD, that's probably a bit of a barrier there, though. You might get some elements of the feel with dragonhunter, firebrand if it's ever buffed back up to being useful, but they're not the most direct equivalent.

As another option... have you considered soulbeast? That can have something of a similar feel.

I would say Ele. Is not easy to play and isn't amongst my favs but credit must be given: has some of the tankiest build iterations and can be strong in both 1 v 1 and teamgfights. Catalyst seems stronger than Weaver while being easier to play and Tempest has great support choices. As much as I like Guardian I don't thing is that great since its best PvP iteration is support core, which has the mobility of a potato compared to the current standards. People can talk much about Willbender at WvW and how it solved the mobility issues of the class, but you barely see any at MATs, and in PvE in order to deliver you need to deal a very high amount of key imputs x minute, making it stressful to play...