Noob question: how to play vs these classes?

Willbender: they teleport in, drop all their damage, invuln and run away when they can't get a kill. It's fine when your team mates are around, but 1v1 I can never kill them before they run away.

2 Mace ranger: Every ranger seems to use this weapon, they don't kill you quickly but they can outlast your damage.

I play core warrior btw, greatsword/axe+shield

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

will bender is doable, it's matter of not eating all their burst, non port spots also help you not taking as much dmg, non port spots are literally places you can't access without jumping

untamed and druid mace/mace on the other hand just turn around and go elsewhere, you not beating them 1v1 with core war

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Vs most willbender avoid fighting inside the F3. This aoe gives them all the freedom they need to freecast because they will get aegis and stab. It means running away from the node or using block / invuln then trying to pressure them. I prefer to run / evade because blocks can be useful for their other skills. Usually they will have a way to invuln + reset F3 meaning fights are going to take a long time even if they are running a glass build. If they want to run away it usually means that they use their F skills which is a good news for your team because they used important cd.

Mace rangers are all about getting into close combat to stack. Mace 5 stacks only at the end so you need to evade that. The best option is to have a build that can kite / blind or evade easily preventing the cc and the stacks. Your core power war build is not going to be equipped for that. Condi berserker would be better thanks to the bow and multiple defenses and spellbreaker would also have more options.

Edited by aymnad.9023
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 8:52 PM, cam.6872 said:

Willbender: they teleport in, drop all their damage, invuln and run away when they can't get a kill. It's fine when your team mates are around, but 1v1 I can never kill them before they run away.

2 Mace ranger: Every ranger seems to use this weapon, they don't kill you quickly but they can outlast your damage.

As ppl have said already vs willbender you just kite and play it defensive till you see the opening for you to land a burst or a cc. As in every Aegis Blind matchup use your few multihit moves to get rid of either or both followed by your important skills to get openings. Keep in mind reckless doge, both hits of bladetrail and axe throw are great ways to get rid of blind or a block while you can already cast your next skill.

Needless to say dagger and spellbreaker has a good matchup vs willbender. If you have secrets of obscure think about going dagger in games with lots of willys.

Ranger can feel like an impossible matchup for your weapon combination as you need very strong plays to even get advantage which you need to even have a change for the win.

[ deprecated thx Gotjjeken for pointing it out.

Keep In mind that the HP lead in this matchup is more important than in any other matchup as ranger can run traits that benefit form being higher hp than their oponents like pet applies poison if it hits a target with lower relative hp than yours.

]

Tbh if you wanna win vs ranger with core consider going hammer/greatsword or my personal favoueite core warrior build hammer axe/shield. With the latter you have plenty of burst dmg and more importantly plenty of cc to chew through all their stunbreaks.

The good news is once you get the ranger bellow 50% while being above 50% health you are in command and as long as you dont mess up you can grind them down as Axe and GS get a lot more dmg now and you finally have kill pressure.

To end things keep in mind that core warrior with axe/shield is not on the level of current meta builds not even the stronger hammer/ axe/shield build is quite there. Spellbreaker or berserker have more options and can push where you just hold on and hope for a mess up by the enemy. I love to see other play core power warrior, when it works its just the most fun to play in the entire game.

PPS: If you are not already running stomp consider using it and learn to combo of it.

Edited by Alabastrum.9361

On 5/1/2024 at 1:52 PM, cam.6872 said:

Don't play core warrior. If you do, find value.

A good WB knows when to not stay and 1v1 a Warrior..... as a WB main myself, Core warrior doesn't do anything to me except breath oxygen. As a warrior yourself, you should just cap a sidenode and never let it go uncontested. That's what your role is.

But what do I know. I'm just a WB scrub that rotates the entire map and never take 1v1's....

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 7:52 PM, cam.6872 said:

The build I have, has enough short range mobility to kite out most of the BS stab/aeg spam in the first 10 seconds, my spec does not have unblockables, so still feels like a losing fight. That is mostly becuase the build is condi, so can't capitalise as good on the DPS window. You should consider this factor as warrior, but to go more dps will make you easier to kill overall, its a fair compromise, but warrior is too underpowered in that context I think. Withought good access to boon rips (which are still not garunteed answer) you likely won't have enough dps application to get the kill, unless they overcommit.

One option you can try, is the boon cerus curruption relic, once you see they have stab, this may force them to kite you (wasting their nuke window), or else they may lose stab/aegis and you can CC/dps. Unfortunately this leads to a game of boon watching, and is far harder for you to pull off than what the WB is doing. Yet, the well timed boon rip forces them to think during burst for once.. and suffer consequences for bad choices, it will quickly seperate good WB from bad, where you can land some CC/dps and force them off the front foot. I would 100% use cerus relic more to seperate bad players on "burst friendly" melee boon spam specs, but it just doenst work withing the mechanics of my build.

Mace untamed is absolutely devistating to try and be in melee range with. I have a pretty solid and consistant dueling level on my current spec, vs most other specs, and mace untamed is the only current spec I feel 0 chance of winning in a toe to toe "get off my point" fight. It simply has too much of everything, and does not appear to have a blatent weakness outside of being kited to death by a glass spec, or just bringing more of the same, like druid. The untamed/mace mechanics can re-apply lots of CC/protection/barrier etc, along with decent cleanse, they could probably duel you right through cerus/boonrips. WB is a little more dependent on those front loaded stab/ages covers, as their raw sustain is not comparable to untamed.

I still can't get it out my head that mace rangers are running around with zerker, similar face tank level sustain as a core gaurd, and CC control of SPB, yet the forum does not have a 20 page rant on this. Combine these elements, their effective DPS application is pushing glass level impact, if you follow what I mean.

Edited by Flowki.7194

6 hours ago, Saiyan.1704 said:

Don't play core warrior. If you do, find value.

A good WB knows when to not stay and 1v1 a Warrior..... as a WB main myself, Core warrior doesn't do anything to me except breath oxygen. As a warrior yourself, you should just cap a sidenode and never let it go uncontested. That's what your role is.

But what do I know. I'm just a WB scrub that rotates the entire map and never take 1v1's....

Warrior is not always a sidenoder you can also teamfight depending on the build. I am aware that core warrior without elite spec weapons is not meta for either of those roles.

The main problem you face as a core warrior is that it is hard or even impossible to find a build that would not be better if you go spellbreaker or berserker instead. 

On this note I want to mention that the power scaling for the core burst of axe and rifle are still a joke. Tier 3 axe burst still has a 2.0 power scaling because back in the nerf days the devs said this is the new highest power scaling we can give 4 years later and it is unchanged despite lots of power scalinga that exceed 2.0 onehanded and 1.89 2handed. Imagine tier 3 axe being 3.0 and tier 2 axe being 2.0 again. It would not even be overpowered in the game today. The axe burst is litteraly a slighty more dmging dagger burst with worse movement, blockable and not stealing boons...  oh wait it does give you 1 stack of might so other players can corrupt it to put weakness on you. 

Imagine if they would buff core warrior burst.... but oh wait berserker has access to them too. Why did they need that again... was aegis and superspeed not enough?

Btw decapitate also has 2.0 powerscaling and that is the prime burst of axe... uff.

Sry for derailing the conversation but eviscerate and killshot definitely need buffs. I know wrong topic but I had to say it. Would also help in those matchups as you would threat to kill a willi with a full axe combo if itnhad 3.0. Evisceraten into cyclone axe axe throw would be enough to kill a willbender in 1.5 seconds or 1.25 seconds with quickness... yeah eviscerate is unaffected by quickness

Posted (edited)

@cam.6872 as core warr you need to time alot of skills very good and with big mind.... generell said a willbender should go down If you simply wait for him using his f3 Skill. Ranger how ever is realy realy hard rn specialy the Mace Mace one cause the weaponset is realy overtuned rn. Just evoid the 1v1s against it. Or kite the hell out Off him and wait till his stability is not there anymore. Another way would be to use staff/Axe,Sword instead of gs/Axe,Shield cause the staff weapon will gain you access to some unblockable stacks for 3 Seconds ^^

P.S ah you might also wana use balanced Stance instead of endurepain against Rangers or in general rn cause of so many CCs in this Meta Game xd

Edited by Myror.7521
  • Confused 1

On 5/4/2024 at 11:07 AM, Alabastrum.9361 said:

Warrior is not always a sidenoder you can also teamfight depending on the build. I am aware that core warrior without elite spec weapons is not meta for either of those roles.

The main problem you face as a core warrior is that it is hard or even impossible to find a build that would not be better if you go spellbreaker or berserker instead. 

I was mostly replying to cam's issue with his core warrior, though, my personal issue with core warrior is, I always seem to have them on my team for some reason lol. It's especially frustrating seeing the enemy team with a spellbreaker and is holding a 1v2 for an obscene amount of time while our team loses a 1v1 at home.

I'm just not a fan of anything that is core with the exception of bunker supp guard.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Just in regard to Willbender

- don't stand in the fire- The fire will either heal them or give them a 100% damage increase

-Try not to engage after they crash courage (the jump that drops a ring of fire). It will provide them with every boon known to man

-If you have the opportunity, prioritize removing or corrupting the 'resolution' from Willbender's bar. This ability not only provides a substantial damage increase but also acts as a shield, mitigating a significant amount of damage for them.

-Be cautious when they use GS 3 and Sword 2. These abilities can put the blindness on you, giving them an advantage when trading. So, be mindful of that.

Contemplation of Purity has a 32-second cooldown; if they ever use it, they're cooked. It is even better if they use Crashing Courage to engage you before you force the stun break. If it doesn't force them from the fight, it could force them to use Renewed Focus.

If you can anticipate their use of GS 3, they get locked into the action unless they swap weapon sets. You can turn their action into an opportunity for a counterattack hitting them with a strong ranged cc if available

-If they use sword two to close the gap on you, they are most likely expecting you to dodge or attacking into blindness. They will use sword 3 to wait for a dodge, and when you dodge, expect swords 5 and 4. 

I missed a lot, but that's the gist: They have to use a large portion of their mobility to get in and dmg you, so they don't get hit by the main burst and are forced out of fights quickly.

Rest assured, with the right use of warrior skills, you can effectively mitigate most of Willbender's attacks. If not, they're simply wasting their map presence, which works in your favour. 

*EDIT* Ghee wiz batman that's a lot of anti Willbender propaganda

Edited by Scatchtape.5109
  • Confused 1