Is it copperfield salvage o matic one time use?

It is not clear for me. Description in game store says "Consumable"

According to wiki.guildwars2: Consumables are items that, once used, trigger a certain reaction, such as gaining an effect, learning a recipe, or obtaining a bundle. Once used, a consumable disappears from the character's inventory.

No it's not one-time use, it's infinite. One of the main appeals of the copper-fed kit (and the silver-fed and runecrafter's kits) are that they'll never run out, so you never have to worry about not having a salvage kit handy when you need one.

I'm not sure why it's marked as consumable though, other than most salvage kits are. (It's only the copper-fed, silver-fed and runecrafter's which are infinite.)

• Like 5

You simply read the next line :

"Consumables are items that, once used, trigger a certain reaction, such as gaining an effect, learning a recipe, or obtaining a bundle. Once used, a consumable disappears from the character's inventory. Permanent consumables have an unlimited amount of uses, and are often found in the form of endless tonics and bundles such as the Unbreakable Choir Bell."

Permanent consumables are mentionned, coper salvage o matic is a permanent consumable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just to further clarify, because a lot of people don't get it:

- You pay it copper coins every time you want the thing to salvage your items, hence why it's called "Copper Fed."

The idea, as stated by others, is that it never runs out unlike a normal savage kit, it's one of those items that people always highly recommend but allow me a different opinion, once you factor its gem cost, plus likely the gem cost of a shared inventory slot, plus the copper coins you feed it every time per use... you're looking at years and years and years before the thing pays for itself.

I've been playing for 12 years, don't have it, no plans to get it, it's more cost efficient to just carry spare salvage kits, 2 or 3 at a time, and grab new ones as those run out.

Ultimately it is up to you to look at how you play the game and how that item could or couldn't work for you, remember it's not a one size fits all and just because someone considers it to be the best thing ever it doesn't mean it will improve your personal experience.

• Confused 1

On 6/7/2024 at 4:34 PM, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

... but allow me a different opinion, once you factor its gem cost, plus likely the gem cost of a shared inventory slot, plus the copper coins you feed it every time per use... you're looking at years and years and years before the thing pays for itself.

I've been playing for 12 years, don't have it, no plans to get it, it's more cost efficient to just carry spare salvage kits, 2 or 3 at a time, and grab new ones as those run out.

How do you feel about the mystic salvage kit?kits?

One each of a: fine salvaging kit, journeyman salvaging kit, and a master salvaging kit, and then three Mystic Forge Stones.  Toss all of those into the mystic forge and you get a salvaging kit as effective as the master salvaging kit, but it has 250 charges.

Is that better than ten master salvaging kits? It certainly takes up less room.  Certainly cheaper than the permanent salvaging kits.

On 6/7/2024 at 10:34 PM, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

Just to further clarify, because a lot of people don't get it:

- You pay it copper coins every time you want the thing to salvage your items, hence why it's called "Copper Fed."

The idea, as stated by others, is that it never runs out unlike a normal savage kit, it's one of those items that people always highly recommend but allow me a different opinion, once you factor its gem cost, plus likely the gem cost of a shared inventory slot, plus the copper coins you feed it every time per use... you're looking at years and years and years before the thing pays for itself.

Ultimately it is up to you to look at how you play the game and how that item could or couldn't work for you, remember it's not a one size fits all and just because someone considers it to be the best thing ever it doesn't mean it will improve your personal experience.

But this thread is about the copperfield salvage o matic.... (scnr)

While you're correct about the return of investment part (one would need to do 6.29 million salvages to break even), the reason why so many people recommend it is not "it's cheaper (in the long run)", but plain convenience. Never having to worry of running out of charges in inconvenient places and the ability to use it with every character once it's placed in a shared slot (which come for free if you buy the newer expansions) are pretty valuable for many people. Sure, it costs gems, but then again, you get 400 gems for free every 5k AP. So by the time one reaches 10k AP (which is not too hard), you can basicly get it for free (and if you wait for a discount still keep some gems).

• Like 2

It's the same with the infinite gathering tools. When they first came out I didn't think they were worth buying because normal gathering tools are so cheap. Then I spent some time playing a level 80 character who was going to maps of all different levels and found it annoying to 'waste' better tools on lower level resources, and to keep switching and having to make sure I had spares so I didn't run out at awkward times.

Sure I could have accepted that mithril or even orichalcum tools aren't that much more expensive and I'm not that desperate for inventory space, so I could fill a bag with spare tools and just replace them as I used them up. (And I did something similar for a long time in 2015 because I got a stupid amount of Frostbitten Tools in Wintersday 2014.) But it's nice to not have to manage them at all because I know my infinite tools will always be there, and for me removing that (admittedly minor) hassle was worth the cost.

I haven't got a copper-fed salvage kit yet, but I can understand why other people go for them. Somehow I've always had a lot of Mystic Forge Stones and I don't use them for anything else, and I don't get that much stuff to salvage (I'm not one of the people routinely doing multiple meta-events) so I just make mystic salvage kits, although I did get a runecrafter's salvage kit for green items a while ago. If I ever run out of Mytic Forge Stones I'll get either a silver-fed or copper-fed kit, I'm not sure which yet.