Wintersday Balance Wish: Shadow Trap fixed

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

@Zacchary.6183 said:

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:Keep the line of sight requirement, but make it a special case.

Change the skill to a two pass solution.

The requirement is that a valid path must at least exist.

The first requires line of sight. If line of sight is granted, you may teleport at a 10k radius from the trap.If no line of sight exists, then a valid path must exist. This path must have a distance traveled no greater than 10k. If the path is between 10k-15k units you teleport as far as the 10k distance allows.

This means that a thief that is visible to the trap will be able to teleport from a further distance. If a player can see the trap, they probably can see the thief. If the thief can not see the trap, than in reality he has a variable length that is less than 10k to teleport. Behavior becomes more consistent, and gives some amount of protection to other players against thieves. It's true, that mesmers can teleport without restrictions, as long as they've been to location a and b. But Thieves can really mess someone up from the cloaking they get, and it doubles as an alarm.

When it is fixed, this skill will no doubt be kitten terrifying in the hands of core, DE, and DD.

soo if i put it inside sn on the cannon on upper floor i can teleport back there from outside of sn cause i have Los and therefor dont need path? cause you said for no LoSa second time exclusivly that a path has to exist if no LoS, so bit confused.anyway i like your idea. tho i am not sure if for 2nd version the 'in range' indicator below the skill will work.

First case requires path and LoS. As Long as you can see the trap, the distance is computed as if you can fly directly there.

Second case is when you can't see it. Distance is then computed as if you had to walk to it on the shortest path. If you are around a corner you walk forward 10ft turn left walk 5ft to the trap.

thanks for clarification.i just realized that this trap is super op on my deadeye...i can mark a target and at 3-4 malice place trap, run away to like 2-3k range, start casting DJ with no target no noting and use shadow pursuit towards end, this will teleport me to the target and i will hit ..just tested it in guild arena so far, after a little sleep i will try in WvW this is amwazing if it works there .who will dogge cause a deadeye on 2-3k range appears out of stealth? most will expect a shadow step to get more in range and then the slow bullet so a dogge would be too early.

Edit: now after testing a bit i dont really want to give up the other utilities especially against multiple opponents, but vs only 1 especially thief/mesmer its good with 10 more might i got higher chance to 1 shot backstab.

During PoF's beta, I was actually experimenting with defending a camp with Deadeye's traps. Traps on Deadeye are SUUUUUUUUUUPER stupid.

Lol did they actually work?

When they work, it was pretty rediculous. Especially when you take sigils that increases damage for someone being CCed.

Deadly Arts, and Trickery With leading attacks. Sigil of Impact, Sigil of Fraility (because I am too stingy to buy Sigil of Force) or Chill if you want to be a jerk. Brings the hurt.

Basically... a damage ramping and spiking build with area control.

@"Lithril Ashwalker.6230" said:why not have it act like a delayed "checkpoint" thats used in some jumping puzzles. instead of just clicking and insta porting make it behave the SAME way as https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Return_to_Checkpoint_(Abaddon%27s_Ascent) but channel the same length of time as it does now and keep the range and stunbreak.

could make placing a shadowtrap be a place a for checkpoint as point A and return to point A upon destroy/trigger but do phase traversal checks.

Then let me ask you this, how would you implement collision detection? Also keep in mind, you cannot shadowstep across a ravine.

Sure they can make shadowstep function like a waypoint but will put the Thief in a whole new level of brokenness; no collision, teleport behind walls, teleport over ravines, teleport across river, teleport on top of a roof, etc. Jumping puzzles will be trivial for Thieves.

Yeah, well, I want to tweak the Thief, not break it.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

@"Lithril Ashwalker.6230" said:why not have it act like a delayed "checkpoint" thats used in some jumping puzzles. instead of just clicking and insta porting make it behave the SAME way as
) but channel the same length of time as it does now and keep the range and stunbreak.

could make placing a shadowtrap be a place a for checkpoint as point A and return to point A upon destroy/trigger but do phase traversal checks.

Then let me ask you this, how would you implement collision detection? Also keep in mind, you cannot shadowstep across a ravine.

Sure they can make shadowstep function like a waypoint but will put the Thief in a whole new level of brokenness; no collision, teleport behind walls, teleport over ravines, teleport across river, teleport on top of a roof, etc. Jumping puzzles will be trivial for Thieves.

Yeah, well, I want to tweak the Thief, not break it.

so you mean a mesmer portal but just for thief...sounds very selfish...oh wait, thieves are.

Archived