Homestead tied to Janthir Wilds map(s)?

Hey everybody. 

I'm very excited for Guild Wars 2: Janthir Wilds 🙂 We will finally have housing! 

We can of course only speculate until we see housing in action. Right now I'm wondering if housing is something we can only access in Janthir Wilds maps, or if it's a feature that isn't tied to any map in particular, and instead we can access via an icon (similar to WvW or PvP icons) that takes us to our homestead. 

I've wanted housing for so long, I would love it to be really really good. For example, one thing I'd love is to customise my homestead (and homestead's surroundings) per character. I want to give my sylvari a sylvari home with Maguuma jungle-ish surroundings, and my charr a charr home with Ascalon surroundings, and so on and so forth. But if the homestead is located on a Janthir map, will that mean the surroundings will always be Janthir? Meaning, we won't be able to pick a snowy surrounding for our norn characters, for example. 

I'm already in love with the idea of housing, but wouldn't want my characters to be "stuck" in Janthir. 

Curious to see how housing is implemented! 

What do you think it's going to look like? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The announcement mentioned multiple times that homesteads are account wide and an account upgrade, so it's highly unlikely you'll be able to have a different one for each character. We don't know yet if there's only 1 homestead or different ones to choose from, but if there are different ones I suspect it'll be like guild halls where you can only have 1 active at a time.

Likewise we don't know how you get there yet but I'd be surprised if they don't give us a way to teleport there directly, like we have for various 'player hubs' like Arborstone and the Sunspear Sanctuary.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

I think it will just start with one. They might add more homesteads in the future and then you can maybe get a tome of portal scrolls to pick which one you want to go to; perhaps even the current home instance added in there. I'd say it's too early to speculate but I do suspect you will be able to create various themes with decorations but yeah, we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The announcement mentioned multiple times that homesteads are account wide and an account upgrade, so it's highly unlikely you'll be able to have a different one for each character. We don't know yet if there's only 1 homestead or different ones to choose from, but if there are different ones I suspect it'll be like guild halls where you can only have 1 active at a time.

Likewise we don't know how you get there yet but I'd be surprised if they don't give us a way to teleport there directly, like we have for various 'player hubs' like Arborstone and the Sunspear Sanctuary.

This. 👍

1 hour ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I think it will just start with one. They might add more homesteads in the future

And this is why I expect the housing community to be quite disappointed. Looking at the latest posts on the topic, they seem to expect a variety to choose from on release, they seem to expect customizable exterior, they seem to expect Homesteads to not be account-wide but per character. I predict a lot of whining on August 20th. 😄

• Confused 2

I do expect there will be a way to teleport there instantly, and though this could be an item like we've had for hubs, it's a mastery so they could technically make it a mastery skill and allow you to add a keybind. That'd be a neat QoL feature.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

That's true. Although, we do have account-wide items (e.g., skiffs) that we can customise per character with skins? I wish homesteads could work the same way

• Confused 2

Already bought the game, but yeah, i would be a bit dissapointed to call “home” a place unfamiliar to my charater, that has nothing to do with my char race culture.
I always thought that housing would be tied to our home instances- which are already our kind of homes, look familiar - and we basicaly “grew up” there. 
I don’t want to move to a foreign strange land when I already luv where my each char lives now.

Buuut, we’ll see.  Maybe we will be in for a pleasant surprise ☺️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

And this is why I expect the housing community to be quite disappointed. Looking at the latest posts on the topic, they seem to expect a variety to choose from on release, they seem to expect customizable exterior, they seem to expect Homesteads to not be account-wide but per character. I predict a lot of whining on August 20th

Imagine when it’s gonna be announced the different homestead models will cost gems, I’m calling this and not to be negative. I’m fine with them costing gems. 

but given every other customization is on store and not in game I can’t see this not following suit, it will be a base one and further models sold on the store I think at least. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Magmi.6723 said:

Imagine when it’s gonna be announced the different homestead models will cost gems

I would expect that, to be honest, but the question is: When will those become available? And that's why I expect there to be a lot of disappointment on release, with only one Homestead being available.

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I would expect that, to be honest, but the question is: When will those become available? And that's why I expect there to be a lot of disappointment on release, with only one Homestead being available.

Tbh I think it will be fine but I’m sure it will see a outcry, these aesthetically things are kinda the lifeblood of income for the game, box prices are very low and no subscription / p2w features, we are lucky in regards to the value of that. 

just hopefully the houses are unique and well built enough to justify spending RL money / high amounts of gold on conversions on, that’s the important part 

on how long? Considering it’s prolly a known gold mine I think it will be quicker than you think.. they know how well this will sell. Prolly not instantly however.

Edited by Magmi.6723