Mini Expansions (DLCs) should focus more their resources

Posted (edited)

Secrets of the Obscure was the first of a new business model that give players a smaller but more consistent approach to content in comparison to an expansion.

SoTo has its up and downs around recicled maps and NPCs, used masteries, timing in releasing features and also in how it delivered the story arc.  In short, it lacked the resources to create the world of Nayos in a way it felt is deserved and tell the kryptis story at its fullest. It was too short for what it was supposed to implicate going to another world and raise a revolution against a tyranical monarch feared across worlds between the Mist.

In part this was because the chosen narrative was to epic and big for one mini expansion alone. However there's another reason and that one is lack of focus in the mini expansion. To put it clearly im talking about the fractal, it tells an old but related story, however there were no enough resource to the actual narrative.

Now Janthir Wilds jump with a new PvP map in a game that alredy is focused outside it and with another fractal. Wouldn't it be best to launch a dungeon or raid wing (with a easy story mode) instead of a fractal and put it there as a part of the main narrative, not the past?

If your resources are thin your focus need to narrow. After all a fractal is a dungeon with another brand.

Edited by Lucius.2140
  • Like 3
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Story mode is aimed at everyone. Instanced content is not. Putting mainline story content behind these modes is simply folly as it would alienate large numbers of their playerbase. 

Raids (we are getting a raid as well as afractal don't forget) and instances are much better utilised for side stories and fleshing out other parts of the lore surrounding it. Having said that, more Forging Steel type instances wouldn't go amiss. But again, that was more side story content

If they lack the resources to tell a story within a given timeframe, they should either adjust their scale or stop setting arbitrary time frames. Did SoTo need to be a one year cycle of minimal content? No, it could have been 18 months or they could have just spent more time on the story. However they didn't and have now chosen to reduce the scale instead. Hopefully that will work better. Using raids and fractals to tell a pit of the main narrative is a massive no no.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Agreed. SotO tried to do too much in too small of a package. The story could have been better if it were longer and had better pacing. Staggered releases of content is fine IF the associated story has adequate pacing to match the staggered releases. I still remember that 'epic' battle at eventide march where the general dude was shouting about his flank and it was all of 3 Kryptis coming to attack. The battle at eventide march by itself should have had the scale of the Claw Island story instances. Now THAT was an epic fight within the story.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I haven't been compelled by the GW2 story since Heart of Thorns.  At this point, given the resources ANET has, I think it should focus more resources on game mechanics.  I'd prefer new specializations or weapons than mediocre story instances where I just skip the dialogues anyway out of tedium.  I think ANET should launch mini-DLCs which only grants new specializations or some new features and skip the story missions entirely.  It's far easier to deliver and the balancing can be made going forward over time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 6/8/2024 at 5:33 PM, Zera.9435 said:

Agreed. SotO tried to do too much in too small of a package. The story could have been better if it were longer and had better pacing. Staggered releases of content is fine IF the associated story has adequate pacing to match the staggered releases. I still remember that 'epic' battle at eventide march where the general dude was shouting about his flank and it was all of 3 Kryptis coming to attack. The battle at eventide march by itself should have had the scale of the Claw Island story instances. Now THAT was an epic fight within the story.

They already acknowledged their mistakes with soto, it was the first time they used the new model and things had to be figured out.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DeathPanel.8362 said:

I haven't been compelled by the GW2 story since Heart of Thorns.  At this point, given the resources ANET has, I think it should focus more resources on game mechanics.  I'd prefer new specializations or weapons than mediocre story instances where I just skip the dialogues anyway out of tedium.  I think ANET should launch mini-DLCs which only grants new specializations or some new features and skip the story missions entirely.  It's far easier to deliver and the balancing can be made going forward over time.

If they did what you saying in this post, the game would die tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

First of all, they are doing mini expansions, second, are you suggesting they give us DLCS with only elite specs and no new maps, and what do you mean by story misisons? why would i pay money for that, also, putting ONLY elite specs behind a paywall, wouldn't sit well with the community.

Edited by vrauns.3215
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/14/2024 at 9:46 AM, vrauns.3215 said:

They already acknowledged their mistakes with soto, it was the first time they used the new model and things had to be figured out.

Yes, I know they acknowledged this. I agree it's a good thing they acknowledge this. We can only hope that they take our feedback to heart and strive to do better both for their sake as a company and our sake as paying customers. Either way I'm sticking around for a bit (as is my wallet).

On 6/15/2024 at 8:00 AM, vrauns.3215 said:

First of all, they are doing mini expansions, second, are you suggesting they give us DLCS with only elite specs and no new maps, and what do you mean by story misisons? why would i pay money for that, also, putting ONLY elite specs behind a paywall, wouldn't sit well with the community.

I'm waiting for you to explain why "If they did what you saying in this post, the game would die tomorrow".

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1