Profession For Learning Fractals / Instanced Group Content?

Hey y'all.  I come back every few months to do story, map complete, and solo open world stuff using Hizen builds.  I have the urge this time around to learn more of the game like the title says.  I have every class at 80, a full ascended gear set in Zerker for heavy/med/light, a random assortment of ascended weapons, and a scattering of other ascended pieces.  My goal is honestly low at just learning Fractals and getting to T4 at least and maaaaaaybe CM stuff as a stretch.  

I think I've liked Ele the most in my random OW stuff - but reading a lot of threads here and elsewhere online has me hesitant to commit to it for group stuff.  But I know the ones enjoying it are in game and making it work and those who ain't feeling it post the negative stuff, which it is what it is.  Just looking for a general vibe check on what you'd consider a good proff to learn on and find groups with?  I know that a boon dps would prolly be an easier way to get in groups, but I don't mind trying to make it work with just a dps especially in the early tiers as I'm learning.  

tl;dr open world soloer looking to learn fractals, likes Ele and Warr the most, but wondering if I should pick something else for learning.

mesmer has the most utility in the game as they have access to pretty much any mechanic that you could need.
when playing boondps/heal you can also swap between the boon you provide with just 1 trait swap, so you are flexible if the other boon provider is not going to be static.

the reason i would suggest the class that would bring the utility is that you actually learn the fractals this way, while if you just dps and let others handle the mechanics you might not learn them.

• Like 2

Whichever one you're most comfortable playing.  It's a simple answer, but the best profession to learn stuff in is a profession that you're already good at playing.  That way, you can concentrate on the new stuff instead of concentrating on how to play the toon right.  It isn't a problem using elementalist if you already know how to play it well.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

Whichever one you're most comfortable playing.  It's a simple answer, but the best profession to learn stuff in is a profession that you're already good at playing.  That way, you can concentrate on the new stuff instead of concentrating on how to play the toon right.  It isn't a problem using elementalist if you already know how to play it well.  

Going to agree with this here.

There is also another reason why a profession familiar to one is good: as you adapt to instanced content, you realize how playing the class changes to what you might be used to.

This realization is one of the most important because it applies to all classes and makes taking on any other class or adapting other classes to instanced content a lot easier.

Just a note on elementalist: there is a high chance @Ruud.7803, unless you've been monitoring your performance, that you've been highly ineffective in open world content on eli. Elementalist is probably the profession which needs a lot of adjusting between open world content and instanced content. Then again, as mentioned, taking on that change will help you in the long run.

• Like 2

Going to agree with this here.

There is also another reason why a profession familiar to one is good: as you adapt to instanced content, you realize how playing the class changes to what you might be used to.

Yeah that's solid advice.  I'm just overthinking it in terms of usefulness/desirability in a group, but something I feel comfy and have fun playing will carry me farther as I learn to play it in instanced content.

Just a note on elementalist: there is a high chance @Ruud.7803, unless you've been monitoring your performance, that you've been highly ineffective in open world content on eli. Elementalist is probably the profession which needs a lot of adjusting between open world content and instanced content. Then again, as mentioned, taking on that change will help you in the long run.

I have ArcDPS and Boontable running to watch myself and I get like 16-18k which is near what Hizen's builds (his logs he pins in Discord are 18-21k generally depending on profession) are meant for since they are all about being as survivable as possible to solo champs.    I just haven't tried a snowcrows/discretize/metabattle group pve build and tried to learn its rotation/priority yet.  I know I'll be low until I put in some time practicing, but I'm willing and eager to.

• Like 1

Hi friend, welcome. Do not be afraid of group content. I was always concerned about disappointing the group, so I was always "not ready" for instances. Oh boy was I wrong. You'll laugh when you do the first Fractal/Strike. Seriously. Just get in there and blast. Learn the lay out and boss mechanics. That's exactly what tier 1 is all about. These were almost designed for Rare gear fresh 80s at the start. You are quite over geared for it already.

Some fractal tips: 

1) Fractal Level. Each time you do a fractal at or above your level you go up. You can only select levels equal to your level but can join anyone if someone in the group can open. Once you get to 25 you can then go to tier 2. As you move up tiers you'll get Instabilities to make things interesting. At highest tiers bosses get more abilities/mechanics too. Agony Resistance is a thing but don't rush to get it as it only will apply at level 20+ in tier 1.Your Infusion slots will eventually get slotted with agony infusions. Since you have a lot of Ascended already this shouldn't be too hard. You'll get a lot of +1 Agony Infusion drops that can be traded up into higher ones at a vendor. You can also buy these off the tp if you are lazy. There are also potions you can buy (or get dropped). Again, don't rush this.

2) Making money! Fractals give a lot of gold. You'll get a lot of boxes that need a Key to unlock. Key's can be bought from a vendor for 1 Relic (fractal currency) and some coin. 30 a day at that price before they go up. These are very useful to get cheap keys. The boxes you get will have a lot of junk items as well as chance at ascended rings and such. The junk actually sells for a good amount. Do the Daily fractals and Recommended (called Recs) ones for more bonus loot. Note you need the mastery to get access to these, but fractals give a lot of mastery points as well. Keep and eye on your achievements. 

3) Talk to the Asura with glowing wings when you enter. This will start the Legendary backpack collection. These will take a while and take place both in fractals and in the open world. Just slowly knock out these achievements. You'll get ascended backpack recipes on the way too. Don't be afraid of the challenge modes (CM) either at early tiers. It only reduces healing and doesn't change up the fractal as much once you get used to them. 

4) Guides. If you need a bit more in terms of info or exactly what each instance is like, go to Mukluklabs Fractal Guides. The Intro goes through all the original fractals and their mechanics. He also has separate guides for the normal modes of the new ones. 

5) Have fun! It's important. Don't stress about your DPS or anything to start. Learn the mechanics and enjoy the story (yes there is one). Play a class you are comfortable with and enjoy. Don't stop here though. Get into Strikes too (the first few of each expansion is usually quite easy so don't be afraid). Look for a guild too that does raid trainings. There is so much content and with another expansion just a few months away it only grows. You will honestly be shocked how easy they are at first compared to trying to solo a bounty or champion. Some of my favorite fights in the game are here, so enjoy!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ruud.7803 said:

I have ArcDPS and Boontable running to watch myself and I get like 16-18k which is near what Hizen's builds (his logs he pins in Discord are 18-21k generally depending on profession) are meant for since they are all about being as survivable as possible to solo champs.    I just haven't tried a snowcrows/discretize/metabattle group pve build and tried to learn its rotation/priority yet.  I know I'll be low until I put in some time practicing, but I'm willing and eager to.

You are well over-prepared m8. Get into instanced content. You'll probably be bored to death until T3 or even T4. If you've been monitoring your performance already, you exceed around 95% of this games player base which enters instanced content for the first time.

• Like 1

Play whatever you like most. On the other hand having the ability to switch to heal support is really nice in fractals since you can just carry anything all the way up to t4. Pug groups before t4 are pretty much all a random bunch of something and just having a boon healer is overpowered. And heal supports are really fun in this game imo. In general if you pug having a few options available will get you groups faster.