Yet another Housing-Thread or If we have to do Housing let's try to make it awesome

Hi,

First things first, I'm not a big fan of Housing as a feature as I imagine it to be a rather boring and lonely decoration minigame involving either huge amounts of grind and/or mcrotransactions. Sure, other games have been created with this feature in mind and therefor incredible things are possible but in the end, what would I do in my huge castle? Stand around? Take pictures? It's just not for me. Which is why I have argued against this feature for years, I'd rather have the resources be spent on other content, more open world maps with fun meta events or instanced conted with challenging bosses.

But alas, Housing it is. And if it has to be Housing, let's take the "But they did Mounts approach" and make it the best implementation of Housing possible. I know, the development is most likely done at this point, so this thread, or any of the "please add [x]"-threads, doesn't matter, it will be whatever it will be. But one can dream.

1) I don't think they will reinvent the wheel so to speak. Housing will still have to work within their existing framework which is why I believe the Housing and decoration systm will most likely be built from the Guildhall system. This is a baseless assumption of course.
2) If 1) is true I hope they listened to all the things that have been brought up over the years oncerning the Guildhall system. Very frustrating things like decoration limits or that you can't place decorations in mid air have hopefully been adressed to make decoration less frustrating.
3) Also if 1) is true banking decorations needs to be improved. Having to bank one item after the other without being able to bank more than one at a time is terrible.
4) Let the Homestead replace the players Home Instance, i.e. let us move all Gathering Nodes and maybe even some NPCs to our Homestead.
5) Make it actually usefull in general. Let us craft/build things like Crafting Stations, Portals etc. Maybe let us invite NPC, Services or Traders for different Currencies and so on. Make these things EARNABLE IN GAME AND NOT GEMSHOP-ITEMS!
6) Try, I know making money is a thing, but try to make monetization only half of this thing. Sell skins for features, not the features themselves.
7) Housing can be a great way to put rewards INTO THE GAME. You kill a boss and put its head on the wall of your Homestead. Like the tokens you get from Raid-Bosses or the HoT Metas. You do a meta and a special piece of metal every time, do it often enough and you can craft a fancy table for your Homestead. Just like some decorations for the Guildhall are supposed to work. But these rewards become irrelevant when a new, fancier table gets released every two weeks on the gemshop...make it every six weeks or something, so the ingame rewards have a chance at least. Or make the ingame rewards "prestige", as in hard to get rewards for cms and such.
eight) Make it more than just a house, make it a small map, a house in the middle, a bit of farmland, a hill, a road etc. just some additional scenery to give people different things to decorate and to have more space for more creativity.
9) With the additonal space from eight), add the possibility to craft and place Minigame stations, Race Starters/Checkpoints/Enders etc. that would enable players to basically set up their own Minigames/Adventures. Also make it so, that these Minigames have leaderboards that can be manually reset, so players can invite friends and have friendly competitions.
10) Make it possible for different players in the same instance to duel/fight. The tech for that exists, we see it in the Arena of the Guildhall, in Arborstone or the Sunspear hub. Make it opt-in, so no one can be forced/tricked into anything, but many people were asking for this and although the options already exist for yeaars, maybe this time the implementation will end the demands (it won't because these people still can't gank low level players in queensdale but whatever).
11) Assuming Housing will be unlocked through story and upgraded through a mastery, i.e. available to everyone owning the "expansion", it would be ok, I guess, to add things like little quests or little events to the instance. Just something that happens randomly every now and then or sends you out to do something. Players should be able to turn these off.

Anyway, as I said I would have wished for a different feature, but since we're doing Housing now, let's make it the best Housing there is.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

4) Let the Homestead replace the players Home Instance, i.e. let us move all Gathering Nodes and maybe even some NPCs to our Homestead.

They already answered half of this point in their very first blogpost.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-janthir-wilds/

The Homesteads feature is unlocked and developed through an associated Mastery line as a place to express yourself, share space with your friends, and access nodes and unlockable resources from your personal story home instance

• Confused 1

I would love to see the same reinvention to housing Anet gave to mounts, but I don't think this will happen.

Some things I hope for housing:

Since they already confirmed that homeinstance nodes can be transfered to homesteads, I hope we will be able to place them as we want.
Yes, I want to place all mining/logging/gathering nodes close together.

Another thing I really hope for is that we can aquire decorations and stuff through various activities, like dungeons, fractals, meta events, etc. Like they did for some guild decorations, but much more. I want a new reason to visit older content again.

And I would like some interactive decorations. I have nothing certain in mind, but homestead should be a bit mroe than just a nice decorated instanced you can look at.
Some gemstore decorations are fine imo, but mainly they should be aquirable through playing (similar to armor/weapon skins).

I think there wil be a similar decoration placing system as guild halls have, but I really hope it will be increased. Using placeholder decorations to place somthing in the air is anything but convenient. I imagine homestead decoration will be more detailed, so I hope the tool we get will support that.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/18/2024 at 1:09 AM, Omega.6801 said:

eight) Make it more than just a house, make it a small map, a house in the middle, a bit of farmland, a hill, a road etc. just some additional scenery to give people different things to decorate and to have more space for more creativity.

https://web-billing.staticwars.com/gw2-buysite/240611-20-61e8bb69/images/store/product/jw/Home_01.jpg

As for the rest of your post: TL;DR;had-no-proper-paragraphs-for-reader-friendliness 😄

• Confused 1

On 6/18/2024 at 12:09 AM, Omega.6801 said:

I'm not a big fan of Housing as a feature as I imagine it to be a rather boring and lonely decoration minigame involving either huge amounts of grind and/or mcrotransactions.

Wanna bet you just described player housing in GW2... ? It'll be a mini guild hall with personal notes preseted in place and a bunch of glitter furniture in the gem store for all the cat owners.

I believe the Housing and decoration systm will most likely be built from the Guildhall

Yup.

frustrating things like decoration limits

That's because it costs money to host that stuff, and you have performance to consider.

let us move all Gathering Nodes

They'll be there, that's been confirmed, but they'll likely be in preset places, other wise players would just pack them for easy gather.

Let us craft/build things like Crafting Stations, Portals etc. Maybe let us invite NPC, Services or Traders for different Currencies and so on. 

That would make VIP lounge passes obsolete.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I think customizable stuff that you and other players can interact with is the dream. Setting up custom adventures and mount races, or possibly creating my own mini-dungeon would be the coolest thing I can imagine in player housing.

Would also be cool to make a mount race with powerups like Sanctum Sprint. It would be great to be able to restrict which mounts can be used, for a more hand-crafted experience.

I could also imagine making a Halloween haunted house, with a spookily-decorated maze that guides you past all of the different gathering nodes.

• Like 2