Spear Preview Concerns (PvE)

While spear looks like it will function perfectly fine for PvP, it looks like it's damage will be pretty meh in PvE.

Increasing the amount of damage gained from stealth attacks (which is currently only really available on skill 2, skill 3 shifts the defiant bonus to the base damage for effectively no gain on bosses, and skill 4 doesn't get an increase. Skill 5 only gets an increase because the base skill deals no damage) would go a long way in making the mechanic more impactful in PvE.

If things would need something more conditional to be buffed, skill 3 might be able to have that spacing idea warrior and mesmer spear have- the less projectile travel time, the more damage it deals. Skill 4 could, again, use a damage increase, not sure what to make conditional there, maybe flanking to fit with skirmishing. Skill 5 could add more pet synergy- when hitting a "webbed" target, your pet has a strike damage increase, and it should be high to allow for the skill to be impactful with its short duration (4s with the stream tooltip).

I don't think spear needs to be Best in Slot, but it seems like it might struggle with some of the stream information, or at the very least be weaker than intended. Even something as simple as just increasing the stealth attack damage would be nice, and it might even open up a (slightly cursed) stealth-based power druid using Celestial Shadow to proc more stealth attacks and Lingering Light to squeeze in some CDR for Celestial Avatar for more stealth procs.

Edited by RainbowTurtle.3542
  • Like 1

Why do you think that the damage is going to be low? The damage numbers on the stream would have been based on the dev's character's stats, which we don't know.

I agree that spear doesn't need to be best in slot. It needs to be reasonably good, though. If it's worse than axe, then it won't see much play in PvE.

On 6/22/2024 at 7:04 AM, frazazel.7501 said:

Why do you think that the damage is going to be low? The damage numbers on the stream would have been based on the dev's character's stats, which we don't know.

I agree that spear doesn't need to be best in slot. It needs to be reasonably good, though. If it's worse than axe, then it won't see much play in PvE.

Multiplayer is questionable, but base damage can be calculated. 
But 1 thing is for sure: ranged auto attack is very low. You can watch the numbers on the golems from the stream. Melee: 300-380-600 ranged: 250. Also ranged version has lower attack speed. So I'm afraid it will only be good for pulling (most likely accidentally :D

• Confused 5

its ok , even if it is not meta in pve we still got plenty of wepons for pve 

to be honest im not that excited for spears in rangers , i mean its look fine but dose it bring something that needed to the table? lets wait and see hope that beta prove me worng

• Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 7:04 AM, frazazel.7501 said:

I can tell you one thing, The ambush's skill have a life siphon damage value shown of 3527 and, theoretically, you need exactly 2k power (weapon base damage non-included) to reach that much since the coefficient is 0.005 and the base damage is 3517.

If the character really have 2k power then I do believe the damage coefficient of the spear skills in the stream are indeed really really low.

34 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I can tell you one thing, The ambush's skill have a life siphon damage value shown of 3527 and, theoretically, you need exactly 2k power (weapon base damage non-included) to reach that much since the coefficient is 0.005 and the base damage is 3517.

If the character really have 2k power then I do believe the damage coefficient of the spear skills in the stream are indeed really really low.

I think the weapons themselves either don't use scaling in the preview or weapon used doesn't have damage stat. Siphon is a detached clean value with scaling, so both explanations are plausible.

There is no way spear has scaling so low, the damage is lower than another weapon without scaling.

stream 17:48 it opens the hero tab and you can see there is no stats on any equipped gear, it is 1000 power,  probably ascended damage (legendary item without stats)

So Long range shot (LB1) has more damage and higher range than bee's sting (Sp1-ranged)
melee chain has lower damage than great sword. (GS gives endurance, Sp gives swiftness and cripple) ~10% more damage on GS

So looking all the skills compared to GS is less damage. And there are hammers, sword, mace even axe.
It is not a problem, if it is not the best dps, Problem is that there is  almost nothing else.

Hard to say about PvP, because there are different numbers. (and I also mean cooldown. Also I'm PvE person, sorry :( ) 
Stealth is good, ground target leap is good. so it is a utility weapons for PvP.. But that means you can higher the damage in PvE....

If it is not higher dps in melee than a long bow, why would we ever use it in PvE? 

Being said, we don't know how it is scale with power, maybe we have some hope. 
Or maybe we get buffed later, like longbow (it always get buffed and still not meta :D )