Why not even Berserker will make good use of Spear in Openworld.

DanAlcedo.3281

I was brainstorming a way to make Spear playable in Openworld.

With playable i mean at bare minimum perma quickness and Fury.

While this is doable with a weapon like GS, Heat the Soul and a little bit of Boon Duration (29.26% to get to 4s Quickness), there is a TINY problem with the Primal Burst of spear.

A freaking casttime of 2.5 seconds.

With Discipline, Primal Burst have a Cooldown of 3.75 seconds.

So 4 seconds quickness from Heat the Soul and the help of Blood Reckoning + Sigil of Rage/Celerity, its possible to get a somewhat decent variant of perma quickness

But as we can see from Flaming Flurry, with a cast time of 2 seconds, the cooldown doesnt start until the cast is finished.

I tried the build setup i post below with Sword. I was not able to keep up quickness because of a very long cast time of Flaming Flurry. Which is 0.5 seconds shorter then Spears Primal burst.

I could keep up Quickness with GS however.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAExzlRwaYLMKmJO+W+tMA-DSZYBRN53+QQEwhCcGtKFqQFo4DEBZASDwYDckPJhBAA-e

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Captain?!

To be fair I see the Wild Throw getting used after the Spear 4 daze or after headbutt. Possibly after a Bulls Charge or Backbreaker->swap->Spear F1.  If you can't do that you could cover the cast with stability if you are worried about interrupts in a 1v1. Signet of Might also if you are really worried about projectile hate.

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2024 at 6:47 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I was brainstorming a way to make Spear playable in Openworld.

With playable i mean at bare minimum perma quickness and Fury.

Since when is perma quickness a requirement of OPEN WORLD solo play builds?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

It isn't strictly speaking, but it may be for him. Which is fine. Everything certainly runs smoother with quickness, even in open world. With quickness the spear primal will take 1.675s to cast, so he will need to generate 5.5s of quickness between every burst to maintain quickness.

Small tweaks to his build will get to 69% boon duration and 5s of quickness per heat the soul alone. So long as he does not camp only spear, and has one more source of quickness, like rage sigils, he'll be able to perma upkeep quickness.

3 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Have you played Warrior without quickness? 

Dear god. 

Just for the adrenaline mechanic alone. Given how slow our weapons are.

I want to burst on CD and not once in a full moon. 

Maybe I'm spoiled since my OW builds had Perma self quickness for so many years now. 

It's simply a hard requirement to even enjoy the game. 

If spear can't do that, why play it when I have way better options. 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

It isn't strictly speaking, but it may be for him. Which is fine. Everything certainly runs smoother with quickness, even in open world. With quickness the spear primal will take 1.675s to cast, so he will need to generate 5.5s of quickness between every burst to maintain quickness.

Small tweaks to his build will get to 69% boon duration and 5s of quickness per heat the soul alone. So long as he does not camp only spear, and has one more source of quickness, like rage sigils, he'll be able to perma upkeep quickness.

Thing is Lan. 

That build is already the worst case scenario. Making the build even worse is not an option. 

If spear isn't playable (for me) with that, it's a hard pass. 

I simply wished I could include a new weapon in my Pre existing builds. Not have to glue stuff together just to make the weapon even half decent. 

Because why bother? What I have slaps and is fun. 

But with me not caring about Raids and housing at all, the only thing about JW left is warrior spear. 

If that sucks for me..... 

Could be worse Expack than SotO. Which is crazy to say given how bad SotO was. 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Thing is Lan. 

That build is already the worst case scenario. Making the build even worse is not an option. 

I wouldn't even call that a worst case scenario, having to run full diviners would be the worst case.

If spear isn't playable (for me) with that, it's a hard pass. 

Thats fair, we all have our own playstyles. My reply above was simply to point out that you can make it work, For starters you didn't even have utility and food, that adds a good bit. I swapped your one piece of Valkyrie gear out for a Diviner piece. I also swapped the relic of Herald, which you should be able to keep at max stats. But, even without the relic change, so long as you are not camping spear, you should be able to proc Heat the Soul on your other weapon set when you need to do so.

I simply wished I could include a new weapon in my Pre existing builds. Not have to glue stuff together just to make the weapon even half decent. 

Because why bother? What I have slaps and is fun. 

That's fine, but that is true for you, not spear in general.

But with me not caring about Raids and housing at all, the only thing about JW left is warrior spear. 

If that sucks for me..... 

Could be worse Expack than SotO. Which is crazy to say given how bad SotO was. 

Like I said above, small tweaks can make it work. Aggressive Onslaught is sitting right there after all. Not like Berskerer's Power is really needed in OW anyway.

On 6/24/2024 at 10:32 PM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I mean, there is a big difference between "It's nice" and "It's completely unplayable without it"

On 6/24/2024 at 11:05 PM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Have you played Warrior without quickness? 

Dear god. 

Just for the adrenaline mechanic alone. Given how slow our weapons are.

I want to burst on CD and not once in a full moon. 

Maybe I'm spoiled since my OW builds had Perma self quickness for so many years now. 

It's simply a hard requirement to even enjoy the game. 

If spear can't do that, why play it when I have way better options. 

I've played most of my characters of various classes without quickness or alac in open world and I've never felt terrible. "once in a full moon" is a fun exaggeration.

It is hardly a "hard requirement to have fun at all". 

• Like 1