Making money with the market: glob of dark matter failed

Today I got to a max stack of Glob of dark matter. I read that you can craft an ascended insignia with it to convert it to money. I went for Zojja, berserker is popular. Bought 10 dusts, 3 patches and the insignia, then joined 5 blobs to craft the ascended one and sold. Total gold cost: 19 aprox, sold for 18, received 16 because taxes. Is this always like this or am I missing something? I knew that most of the time, making gold with craft was not worth, UNLESS it required some material that could not be bought, account bound, or daily limit to craft... So why did it fail if this required account bound materials? I just have to discard the globs?

Edited by DarkK.7368
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• DarkK.7368 changed the title to Making money with the market: glob of dark matter failed
1 hour ago, DarkK.7368 said:

Is this always like this or am I missing something?

Yes you always had the listing fee and the transaction fee.

1 hour ago, DarkK.7368 said:

So why did it fail if this required account bound materials?

Because that was never a guarantee and you should have done the math yourself before falling for get rich quick schemes.

But wait, it gets better...

While you try to find ways of making easy gold you may come across stuff like the Triforge Pendant, it looks brilliant, and it looks like a massive pay day. So what's the catch? Remember the old saying, if it sounds too good to be true, it is, while it looks like you can make good gold the truth is, no one is buying it, so before you sink gold into stuff like that to make it like you did with your Ascended Insignia, actually look at it for more than a second so you don't lose money.

• Like 6

According to gw2efficiency.com  you should make some profit with the insignia if you do it properly.

https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-46719

However, it is important that you use buy order to buy your materials (the option on the left side), not instant buy (the option on the right side). And when you sell stuff you usually get a better price by doing the opposite.

Edited by Vortigern.1987
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

so before you sink gold into stuff like that to make it like you did with your Ascended Insignia, actually look at it for more than a second so you don't lose money.

Yep that's why I made only one, just in case I was losing money.

53 minutes ago, Vortigern.1987 said:

According to gw2efficiency.com  you should make some profit with the insignia if you do it properly.

https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/a~0!b~1!c~0!d~1-46719

However, it is important that you use buy order to buy your materials (the option on the left side), not instant buy (the option on the right side). And when you sell stuff you usually get a better price by doing the opposite.

I did not knew there were different ways to buy and to sell stuff... ... I'll check later, thanks

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, Vortigern.1987 said:

that you use buy order to buy your materials (the option on the left side), not instant buy (the option on the right side)

But that means my transaction won't complete until someone, at some random point in the future, decides to sell it by that price when no better deals exist... so almost never getting my money back!

• Confused 3

Just now, DarkK.7368 said:

But that means my transaction won't complete until someone, at some random point in the future, decides to sell it by that price when no better deals exist... so almost never getting my money back!

If you're talking about items frequently used for crafting, then that isn't likely to happen. As long as you're not trying to make an extremely low buy order, your order will be filled. It might be in 5 minutes, an hour, or even a day or two. It's a question of what you value more: time or gold. If you want to get it done quickly, then you're almost always going to lose some gold on it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Globs of Dark Matter in particular don't make much profit because there are many end-game players with gobs of globs, and enough of them want to dump them for a profit that the market is very competitive. Items which can make a profit tend to be items most people don't want to dump - and you're usually one of those most people :). Ambergris is an example.

I use gw2arbitrage to look for market opportunities for a quick turnaround, but I rarely use up mats I have lots of, since those fields are too competitive. There might be tools others use to compete in those, but I am not aware of any. Cooking and scribe recipes are more often profitable. The best profit off a common recipe right now is "Yelmo bárbaro carroñero" (not sure what that is in English, carrion barbarian helm or the like), 392 of them for a net profit of 5.5 gold.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/24/2024 at 7:11 PM, DarkK.7368 said:

Unless youre in a great hurry for gold always go for orders and not instant. For materials the market activity is big enough, I would say 95+% go through in 24h most much faster.

The exception are rare items with very low market activity. There you just need to know your risks.

• Like 1

Insignias are worthless. I'm a major TP user and I have around 40k or something of globs of dark matter. Only reason I don't always outright delete them is because sometimes I start thinking maybe Anet will make a gobbler for them. But even I've taken to deleting them more often than not lately. They're just wasting entire alts' bagspace by this point.

The globs are actually one where I wish they added stuff to convert them. I know they won't make them unbound - makes it to easy for new players to gather them. But I alreay have a "few" more than just 1 stack I think. (Not sure. My mat storage can take up to 2000 but maybe they are at 1000 already? Need to check again.) Having to craft and sell (especially when the only way to make profit is to use buy orders ... where you have to wait a bit for the other mats) is annoying.

And for stuff like prismaticite ore (the small gatherable mats) they added options with the new merchant/item from SotO recently. Seems like they could do it for the matter as well. I'd even take a salvage option for just luck (have not maxed there yet ... and nowadays some legendaries need the gift that needs 250 exotic luck essence.)