Will we ever get a 1 vs 1 mode? It would be a promising mode

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, zonias.1083 said:

then you are either playing the wrong build or you are not playing as good as you think. 

yeah but see
i like playing what i find fun and i do pretty dang good for how bad it is while playing a mode where there's actual objectives

there's a bunch of elites that just get put into the dirt by certain things like say, deadeye, axe teef, or willy because they exist as a bunch of pass/fail gatekeepers where your chance of winning is near zero unless the enemy player has no pulse

a bunch of between-round build swapping in some goofy mindgaming is boring, and only helps those who actually HAVE useful swaps they can make. doesn't work well when there's a bunch of dead utilities imo

same reason the pit is boring, because it's 99% people who lose and then immediately swap to some ultra specialized build they'd never play or be successful with in a real match, solely to jump back in and protect the ego

basically, i think splitting the playerbase between queues further is a mistake, and it wouldn't be that good of a mode because of how buildcraft's evolved over the game's life

Edited by Shagie.7612

2 hours ago, Shagie.7612 said:

same reason the pit is boring, because it's 99% people who lose and then immediately swap to some ultra specialized build they'd never play or be successful with in a real match, solely to jump back in and protect the ego

i see your point, and i do agree that at the highest level of the ladder you would have to be efficient. But that is only if you wanna climb, i take that in normal ladder in conquest you do not play the most optimal to win and that is perfectly fine to go and have some fun. 

This mode does not have to be for everyone. But i feel like the game would benefit and it would bring new players to pvp. i feel the playerbase would not be as affected, as WvW roammers would come to the pvp queue and if done correctly it can be an starting point for players to practice fighting in a controlled environment instead of jumping to conquest where there are many more aspects to focus on. 

If i was starting, i would like to have a mode where i can 1 vs 1 other players to learn my profession and learn about others. Instead of having to worry about rotation, being plus one, secondary objectives, map control, death timers, etc. 

2 hours ago, Shagie.7612 said:

and it wouldn't be that good of a mode because of how buildcraft's evolved over the game's life

About this i have to disagree. I feel it would increase the options and understanding for people professions. For example i play revenant almost exclusively. There are some skills, weapons and traits that i have never used because in general pvp build they do not fit the purpose. But in the context of an isolated 1 vs 1 to gain the advantage they are useful. For example with deadeye meta, i used to run centaur stance to be able to counter them, but that was only possible because i was facing 2 deadeyes in a match, otherwise i would never consider making the sacrifice. 

I think specially for this mode, that is part of the fun no? understand the enemy class, what they want to do, and find a way to counter it. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, zonias.1083 said:

The issue i see here is that forcing a mirror matchup will not suit more people and it will reduce the build diversity. 

In my opinion class knowledge and knowing how to adapt and fight other classes is important and although maybe it is not perfectly balanced to now, it could be possible to reach a balance where every class has fighting chances against every other class. For example i main rev, and even though rev does not have favorable match ups against all classes i still would be down to 1 vs 1 anyone. I agree there are class counters but i do not think they can not be surmounted by a correct build and the inclusion of secondary objectives to gives chances for players to use their advantage. For example from what i know, and i am not sure so correct me if i am wrong, i think in the matchup Mesmer vs thief, the Mesmer could try to go bunker and hold the node to get the win, it does not have to go for the kill.  And the thief will try to break that bunker. 

It is important to remark that you could not swap the class you queue up as to not allow people to cheese it by always changing, because that would resolve in both players changing until the end of time to gain an advantage. The matchups will be skilled based, and if you reduce the chance to encounter the same player again and again you would just have an even spread fighting different classes not just your counter. I understand your concern but i think a good design matchmaking system which is much more easy to do than the conquest mode that is really exploitable, a 1 vs 1 has much less factors. 

Lets be honest here, most of the people wanting 1v1 are likely playing duelists or things very strong in 1v1. It is no suprise at all that many of such players would want to vs all specs, to hammer home their advantedge (You know, and I know its true, don't pretend otherwise). I would not enjoy any deuls vs warrior/gaurdians/mace rangers/virts/thieves. That is a kitten load of specs that are not fun to duel, becuase of their mechanical advantedge, or toxicly designed mechanics. Call it opinion if you like, but many people hate dueling the things I don't mind dueling, so everybody wins in within-class duels, we all get to avoid multiple badly designed specs.. and let those specs (like DD/DE) have to deal with each other.

Im pretty sure a lot of others would also enjoy this, if only to avoid thief/warrior. At the same time, I may still play something like ranger, as it would be a better experiance if I can fight fire with fire (daze spam + bloated sustain). If I get thrown a druid on my current class (rev), then I have no choice but to play a far more difficult/punishing spec in order to beat the druid, no thanks.

Btw, I enjoy fighting other revs as rev, I enjoyed fighting other eles as ele, and so on. There is still spec diversity to be had in 1v1s within-class. There could also be a leaderboard for each class, so you essentially have multiple ranks, and could even have special ranks for getting top 250 on multiple specs within 1 season. Within-class is then 100% skill based, but also engaging enough to keep people at it, just play 2 or 3 classes for diversity, and a chance for a multi title.

Edited by Flowki.7194

4 minutes ago, Flowki.7194 said:

Lets be honest here, most of the people wanting 1v1 are likely playing duelists or things very strong in 1v1. It is no suprise at all that many of such players would want to vs all specs, to hammer home their advantedge (You know, and I know its true, don't pretend otherwise). I would not enjoy any deuls vs warrior/gaurdians/mace rangers/virts/thieves. That is a kitten load of specs that are not fun to duel, becuase of their mechanical advantedge, or toxicly designed mechanics. Call it opinion if you like, but many people hate dueling the things I don't mind dueling, so everybody wins in within-class duels, we all get to avoid multiple badly designed specs.. and let those specs (like DD/DE) have to deal with each other.

Im pretty sure a lot of others would also enjoy this, if only to avoid thief/warrior. At the same time, I may still play something like ranger, as it would be a better experiance if I can fight fire with fire (daze spam + bloated sustain). If I get thrown a druid on my current class (rev), then I have no choice but to play a far more difficult/punishing spec in order to beat the druid, no thanks.

In what kind of parallel universe are you affraid of a thief in 1v1 situation? Like what the hell ? I do agree on the boring and anoying part that stealth can bring, but let's be honest, thief is bad bad bad bad and so bad in pur 1v1... Every single spec of this game can outsustain it, out damage it just by existing. If you lost against a thief, in 1v1, with a duelist spec, bro, I am sorry to say that but this is pur skill issue at this point.

12 hours ago, Shagie.7612 said:

Just slap them on that too v: the moment anyone swaps builds to try to beat me I just consider that a victory, and now I'm going for extra credit. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, whooot.5784 said:

In what kind of parallel universe are you affraid of a thief in 1v1 situation? Like what the hell ? I do agree on the boring and anoying part that stealth can bring, but let's be honest, thief is bad bad bad bad and so bad in pur 1v1... Every single spec of this game can outsustain it, out damage it just by existing. If you lost against a thief, in 1v1, with a duelist spec, bro, I am sorry to say that but this is pur skill issue at this point.

I'd rather lose every duel vs something fun to fight. There is not a single thing fun about dueling thief, of any spec, they are something to be tolerated, quite litterally by design.

Afraid? more like disgust, that a spec can jump me in sPVP to skill check, realise he is going to lose, and is not punished. Quite the opposite, he will escape, and I will see him some time in the near future for his ego restoring > steal through wall +1. And then there you are, making rediculous strawman arguments. Not that your arguments are even accurate

Spoiler

<that last sentense is all you will focus on, save yourself a 5 page write up, I probably won't respond>

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Guild wars 2 is a friendly place, but where is the solo content? i like roaming, i like facing other players but it takes ages to find them. When i want to play pvp i go to conquest, and i like that you have rotations, team play, target selection, etc. But sometimes i just a want a duel, i just want to kite, i want to deal dmg, i want to dodge opponents. Guild wars 2 has an absolute wonderful fighting system, a 3 dimension with some arena effect skills and interactions between them. And i love it, that is why sometimes i just want to fight someone, i do not wanna have to worry about missing someone mid, will i get plus one, try to burst fast and go to next enemy, try to capture this and capture that. Sometimes i just want to enjoy a good fight, and the current state of roaming does not satisfy that need. In the past roaming was really popular, 1 vs 1 duels, but now it has totally died. And i think it could be a good mode for those that want it. It would not take as many resources to develop as the infrastructure are done, and i do not think it would remove the normal playerbase of conquest pvp game mode. 

1 hour ago, Flowki.7194 said:

Afraid? more like disgust, that a spec can jump me in sPVP to skill check, realise he is going to lose, and is not punished. Quite the opposite, he will escape, and I will see him some time in the near future for his ego restoring > steal through wall +1. And then there you are, making rediculous strawman arguments. Not that your arguments are even accurate

Even better for the example you showed, the thief needs to expose and kill you, it can not run away and be impactful on the map with map rotations, it is just a place to force interaction between players. 

I agree with you that i can be a frustrating experience when taken to the extreme and players min max, but even if pvp i am sure for someone who plays in the lower ladder of conquest, there are people playing suboptimal build and i am sure people have fun even if they do not fully understand the game. I agree that some classes like warrior can have the upper hand, that is why i propose having secondary objectives, or maybe they will have to revisit some specializations but it is not as difficult as to balance because we are talking about a vacuum, 1 vs 1 does not have to focus on the interactions as a team, and rotations etc. 

WvW has good duels, sometimes. No Glicko rating so a holo can kill a willbender 1 v 1 , etc., or die to a core engie or whatever, so it's not as rock papwe scissors. Can also fight closer or farther from spawn, to add the possibility of a +1 if the person is overconfident . . . Or if they are like , I keel you. Then I keel them. 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, zonias.1083 said:

I agree with you that i can be a frustrating experience when taken to the extreme and players min max, but even if pvp i am sure for someone who plays in the lower ladder of conquest, there are people playing suboptimal build and i am sure people have fun even if they do not fully understand the game. I agree that some classes like warrior can have the upper hand, that is why i propose having secondary objectives, or maybe they will have to revisit some specializations but it is not as difficult as to balance because we are talking about a vacuum, 1 vs 1 does not have to focus on the interactions as a team, and rotations etc. 

I think you are missing the point. I do not care if I was garunteed to win 100 duels vs 100 thieves.. I would simply not show up, becuase the class is that uninteractive/fun to duel. Give me 100 duels vs something like core engi with 50% win rate, im all in. The issues is that specs that are actually fun to duel are few and far between, becuase a lot of people duel just for the win, the ego of being the best, and will play what ever neccersary for that end.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Flowki.7194 said:

I think you are missing the point. I do not care if I was garunteed to win 100 duels vs 100 thieves.. I would simply not show up, becuase the class is that uninteractive/fun to duel. Give me 100 duels vs something like core engi with 50% win rate, im all in. The issues is that specs that are actually fun to duel are few and far between, becuase a lot of people duel just for the win, the ego of being the best, and will play what ever neccersary for that end.

then do not play this mode, but you can not deny that it would be a good contribution and it is not a bad system. It does not have to be for everyone, but give me an objective reason why having this mode would damage guild wars 2. Heck just tell me why this mode could hurt the pvp mode, it would not. It is something that could be implemented and people could benefit from, to me it is a mode that is necessary. 

And i disagree that there are few classes that are fun to duel, everything is necessary. I have to admit i absolute hate facing a mesmer, because i feel everything i do they just counter it, that is why it took me a long time until i was able to effectively deal with them and i enjoy now facing a duel, sure sometimes i lose and it sucks, sometimes i win and it is amazing. if it ever became an issue because some class has an overwealming advantage, besides nerfing them for this mode, you could counter them with something like the seconday objective, or something else.  

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, zonias.1083 said:

then do not play this mode, but you can not deny that it would be a good contribution and it is not a bad system. It does not have to be for everyone, but give me an objective reason why having this mode would damage guild wars 2. Heck just tell me why this mode could hurt the pvp mode, it would not. It is something that could be implemented and people could benefit from, to me it is a mode that is necessary. 

And i disagree that there are few classes that are fun to duel, everything is necessary. I have to admit i absolute hate facing a mesmer, because i feel everything i do they just counter it, that is why it took me a long time until i was able to effectively deal with them and i enjoy now facing a duel, sure sometimes i lose and it sucks, sometimes i win and it is amazing. if it ever became an issue because some class has an overwealming advantage, besides nerfing them for this mode, you could counter them with something like the seconday objective, or something else.  

I can and do deny that it will be a good contribution 😜 The base mechanics of GW2 are horendous across many specs, and is in no way shape or form balanced around 1v1 between specs. Just look at SPB for god sake.. it is littearlly designed to stand on a point and not die, look at thief, it is designed to get in, +1, and not die. And you think you can throw such polarised specs into 1v1s and things will somehow work out becuase you added some RNG objectives? Cmon now.

The game already proves my point. sPVP with 3 points is basically a game of mobility, with a few duelists for flavour, which very clearly favours certain specs. Then compare that to 3v3 DM, the "rotating" specs lose all meaning there, and get countered by the specs they cannot out-rotate. Your just applying a more simple concept of that issue in 1v1.

Edited by Flowki.7194

WvW has good duels, sometimes. No Glicko rating so a holo can kill a willbender 1 v 1 , etc., or die to a core engie or whatever, so it's not as rock papwe scissors. Can also fight closer or farther from spawn, to add the possibility of a +1 if the person is overconfident . . . Or if they are like , I keel you. Then I keel them. 

1v1 would be best holo v holo, willbender v willbender, or at least engie v engie, guard v guard, etc.

• Confused 2

25 minutes ago, Flowki.7194 said:

The game already proves my point. sPVP with 3 points is basically a game of mobility, with a few duelists for flavour, which very clearly favours certain specs. Then compare that to 3v3 DM, the "rotating" specs lose all meaning there, and get countered by the specs they cannot out-rotate. Your just applying a more simple concept of that issue in 1v1.

i see your point and i think you are partially right. But the issue about sidenodes in conquest node is that not only do they need to be durable but also they need to have resources to survive a plus one. Again my main experience is revenant, but i feel that i can hold my own against every class i have faced. 

As for the 1 vs 1 of other classes, i am not sure if it the best example because i do not know every other class, but there are many people in WvW that make it work. When i play thief sometimes, condi thief, i feel i am pretty good at holding even node by using the distance. When i used to play trapper ranger when it was a thing, i had the chance to 1 vs 1 anyone. 

Having to only manage 1 vs 1 is much more simple that having to manage 5 vs 5 for example, as you really well said in conquest you need to manage dmg with mobility with survival etc. 

It's just thiefs defending their bs, but the same persons can't stand about others when they can't do their shenigans in ranked.

Defending vs a thief is mostly fine unless they have some by chance off meta builds that can counter you by accident in 1v1's.

But this is not the point he meant, they have controll over the fight from start to enter and the end to leave when they can't. So even though they mostly have low hp, thief isn't risky at all. 

Mostly to do since anet keeps removing/nerfing from different classes their stuff to deal with them and certain other things. Thief can never be really balanced in a not toxic mechanically design, as long this isn't dealt with.

As long certain specs are meta to keep them in check it's fine

• Like 2

4 hours ago, arazoth.7290 said:

Defending vs a thief is mostly fine unless they have some by chance off meta builds that can counter you by accident in 1v1's

The is exactly my point about why 1v1s actually work a lot better in GW2 than people imagine. Even something like a Thief, which people notoriously declare as a bad 1v1 class, is actually dangerous in 1v1s when it is allowed to template swap. Thief might actually be the most versatile class in this regard.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 6/30/2024 at 6:05 AM, zonias.1083 said:

I was just wondering, why arenante does not implement a 1 vs 1 ranked mode, to me it seems it could appeal to some part of pvp, and i would certainly not mind to wait a few minutes to have a 1 vs 1 where stats are normalized. I like WvW but i do not like that i need to roam to find opponents and that i can be ganged upon, so a 1 vs 1 would solve all the issues. You can make it a ranked ladder, so that players fight opponents of similar skill, and then you would also remove the problem about duo q where so many complain. Of course you could still have the problem of win trading, but since it is a 1 vs 1, it would be easy to detect if a player is losing to another player repeatedly, you can have a system that reduces the match rate between two players consecutively. 

Watching at the maps existing for pvp, it would not be very difficult to take the central node and adapt it to a 1 vs 1. I have seen over the year many posts that demand a 1 vs 1 mode, and i feel that now they want to give a new mode for pvp, it seems they want to try to save it after they destroyed it. So why not invest a little bit more and try to give it a go¿

I was thinking it could be a best of 5 mode for example. And there would be different conditions to win,  you could have conquer a node and maintain it for lets say 10 seconds, or kill the opponent. To avoid everyone playing really big bunquer style, there could be some locations where the player can activate a trap that will hit the node, so that it resets progress and deals dmg, like skyhammer ,for example. 

And also, i would do so that only the losing player can change their build. This way only the losing player can change their build to better suit the matchup, if they they need condi cleance, cc, etc. Of course wining gives you a bigger advantage even if they counter you in the next round, then you can swap to counter them. It would be about doing the best you can in each situation. 

And of course,  only you can  play as the class you queue up with, so that people would not be changing into the opponents counter all the time. 

And it is not like the meta would be crazy to deal with, as they already have to deal with roaming in WvW this would bring it to a smaller scare and unify the stats, people in WvW would also not complain about the celestial stat and i think a big part of the roaming community and pvp would  move to this mode. if they are worried about player base, i am sure they can get it from frustrated pvp players that stopped playing, and WvW players.

There are some classes that would excel some more than others, but i believe that right now, since we have so much build diversity every class can come up with something to fight opponent, for example abuse the short range of war, or break a druid using the traps i mentioned if they bunker, swap for a more condi cleanse or build. In this situation condi builds would be more popular as they can harrass the opponent and you do not need to worry about the speed of killing, something i think normal rank ladder falls short, since you need momentum more than anything you wanna get kills fast. You can also go full glass cannon and try to cheese the opponent. There could be many different  playstyles.

If people are worried about stealth classes, you could put some upgrades in the arena that players can acquire to reveal the area nearby the player, that way they can chase them if people become frustrated about it. Or place shields that allow players to block projectiles for a shot while if they find that they can not fight it, only temporarily.

My main point, is that it could bring many benefits, and also it does not seem it would require as much development time, so why does arenante not do it? Pvp could certainly be happy to receive attention. Maybe if people have a 1 vs 1 mode where they can learn to fight, instead of being thorn into conquest where you need to focus on rotations, fights, people, many classes and interactions it could be better long-term for the player base. 

I think the mode would only be fun and interesting if you could place live bets on the duels and allow spectators in a kind of gladiator pit. People could mess around in the stands cheering/booing/memeing. There would have to be a time limit before the gas effect kicks in, otherwise good duelists could just kite around the map and there'd be a risk of unending duels.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Yerlock.4678 said:

otherwise good duelists could just kite around the map and there'd be a risk of unending duels.

i was more thinking about a 1 vs 1. You could put mechanics to end the game like in the modes 2 vs 2 and 3 vs 3

YES, PLEASE. I literally do not play PvP because of that. It is pretty hard to find a 1v1 fight in WvW either. So since I prefer PvP as endgame, I am forced to play another games. Because there is nothing to do in GW2. I am tired of hoping to get a good team in 5v5. When the 2v2 season comes, I am having a blast, playing whole day. Now I log in and there is nothing for me to do after a few dailies and some trading/crafting.

Please make an arena in WvW or PvP format 1v1/2v2. You made such an immense, complicated, beautiful MMO. There is no way this is something hard for you to do. PLEASE.

• Like 1