Obsidian Armor - Gift of Persistence Unusual Coins requirement after Janthir Wild launches?

I'm currently working on all 3 armor types for the legendary Obsidian Armor. Each piece requires the 'Gift of Persistence' which can be bought for 250 Unusual coins and 250 of the map specific currencies. This means I will be needing 4500 Unusual coins for all 18 pieces. I'm currently at 2250, so I should be able to get the necessary amount of coins if I do all Greater Arcane Chests every day, netting about +-100 coins each day. It's tight, but should be possible... However, if for some reason I wont be able to make a chest run each day, what will happen to the unusual coins requirement?

Currently the wiki description says "Acquired by opening hidden chests in the most recent expansion's content." I'm guessing once Janthir Wilds gets released, the Greater Arcane chest will no longer drop Unusual Coins but will start dropping Ancient Coins instead? Will this also change the requirements for the Gift of Persistence? Any thought on this?

Chances are high that both the chests and the requirements will adapt to Ancient Coins. What you can do to be safe is to buy as many Gifts of Persistence as you can pre patch. Shouldn't make a difference to you since after all, you would have used this resource anyway.

My guess is the only reason for something to change here is if the developers forget about updating one or the other.

The imo more interesting aspect here is how will green and blue prophet shards be handled, given we haven't been told about any new strikes.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

What you can do to be safe is to buy as many Gifts of Persistence as you can pre patch.

Figured as much. I'll have to remind myself to buy as much of them before JW releases then. Hopefully all 18 at once. I only have a handful of Ancient Coins so if I forget about it, it's going to be a pretty sour experience to see that I still have all my Unusual Coins and can't use them anymore if the recipe switches to Ancient Coins. Might be worth posting a PSA about this a few days before JW releases to warn others that are grinding for Obsidian Armor.

The way I see it, is that the cost for the Gift of Persistence will change into ancient coins, simply because Obsidian Armor is a unique selling point for SoTO and if you then buy SoTO and find out that you need JaWi as well just so you can buy one item, that would be really, really bad. Anet would not hear the last of that. So I can't promise it to you but it would definitely reflect badly on Anet if they were to require people to buy JaWi as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Makes sense! So in other words, I need to make sure to spend as many of my unsual coins that I have now on multiple Gift of Persistence before JW releases. Once I've spent all those, I could just continue farming Arcane Chests for Ancient coins if/when the recipe changes to Ancient Coins. I can imagine a bunch of people who are farming for unusual coins who don't redeem them before JW release are going to be SOL...

8 minutes ago, Scratchpaw.1069 said:

Makes sense! So in other words, I need to make sure to spend as many of my unsual coins that I have now on multiple Gift of Persistence before JW releases. Once I've spent all those, I could just continue farming Arcane Chests for Ancient coins if/when the recipe changes to Ancient Coins. I can imagine a bunch of people who are farming for unusual coins who don't redeem them before JW release are going to be SOL...

Yeah, I'm not sure if the unusual coins that you already have would get changed to ancient coins in the process. That would also seem like a bad idea to me, particularly without warning people beforehand. I don't think that happened with the unusual coins I still had from EoD when SoTo came out but I'm not sure. But with that in mind it's probably best to be safe rather than sorry and spend as much of those as you can. In the end you want to spend them on those Gifts so you don't lose anything by spending them now.

I do hope that Anet will clarify this before JaWi hits. There was a thread about this in the JaWi subforum, so perhaps this has already been clarified there. Not sure.

Edit: I just checked that thread and there was no answer from Anet

Edited by Gehenna.3625

2 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure if the unusual coins that you already have would get changed to ancient coins in the process. That would also seem like a bad idea to me, particularly without warning people beforehand. I don't think that happened with the unusual coins I still had from EoD when SoTo came out but I'm not sure.

That's exactly what happened though. While we can't be 100% it will happen again, it most probably will. EoD's unusual coins got changed into ancient coins the same way eod green shards got changed into blue shards (and their respective "old" vendors also started using the ancient coins/blue shards). Following what happened with the release of soto, the soto vendors should start using the ancient coins after the release of next expansion.

We even got the RP message at soto release about it:

Dearest fellow coin enthusiasts,

I hope this letter reaches you all in the heartiest of health. For those who could not attend our latest symposium on unusual coins, I bear tidings of a recent change in categorization that you should all become immediately aware of.

To be brief: your current collections of unusual coins have been recatagorized as ancient coins. I will still happily trade for your ancient coins as I once did when we called them "unusual." I will also gladly take any new unusual coins you may find in exchange for my ancient coins, so have no fear of missing out!

The society has deemed that all coins in more recently discovered territories shall be called unusual coins until such time that they have been property examined and catalogued, at which point they shall also be reclassified as ancient coins. Collectors of unusual coins will no doubt make themselves known in such locations and offer interesting new incentives to trade with them.

This system of discovery and reclassification shall continue in perpetuity. Or until the society changes its mind. Thank you for your time, and I hope to see you all at the next symposium.

Chin-Hwa, Collector of Ancient Coins

Unusual coins will keep getting reclassified into ancient coins with every new expansion released until anet decides "nah, we're doing something else now" society changes its mind.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

The imo more interesting aspect here is how will green and blue prophet shards be handled, given we haven't been told about any new strikes.

Future expanions (not this one) , OW could offer some green shards , on lower pace .

And if you havent done a Strike in that week   , you only get blue after a while , or green are offereed in other expansions (funnel them)

Now we have Raids (and majority no need to join them to be subtainedable ,  or get "gud" for Raids  )anything goes into legacy mode and we trim down the fat .

Nor we need resources to create a hub , for people to switch instances faster and maximize their gold per min + the majority havent unlocked most of it , so the devs dont need to waste money for new assets + we populate old areas

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

8 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Future expanions (not this one) , OW could offer some green shards , on lower pace .

And if you havent done a Strike in that week   , you only get blue after a while , or green are offereed in other expansions (funnel them)

Now we have Raids (and majorityno need to join them to be subtainable )anything goes into legacy mode and we trim down the fat

Green and blue shards are related to strike missions. There most recent design change was to remove red, make older strike rewards cost blue shards and make the newest strikes of the recent expansion reward green shards.

The thought process is simple: reset progress on strike content with new expansion releases so veterans are not able to immediately afford all new rewards (and tie certain rewards behind this resource like Mystic Clovers).

Unusual Coins and Ancient Coins are designed in the same way, likely to encourage interacting with certain game elements in the most recent expansion, while not allowing resource stacking in advance.

Your idea has nothing in common with this design decision. Not going to say it's not going to happen, but if you don't even try to base your suggestions around WHY something is designed the way it is, your ideas become progressively more unlikely.

I'm ignoring your jab at raids because it's not relevant to this point and meaningless to bring up.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Green and blue shards are related to strike missions. There most recent design change was to remove red, make older strike rewards cost blue shards and make the newest strikes of the recent expansion reward green shards.

The thought process is simple: reset progress on strike content with new expansion releases so veterans are not able to immediately afford all new rewards (and tie certain rewards behind this resource like Mystic Clovers).

Unusual Coins and Ancient Coins are designed in the same way, likely to encourage interacting with certain game elements in the most recent expansion, while not allowing resource stacking in advance.

Your idea has nothing in common with this design decision. Not going to say it's not going to happen, but if you don't even try to base your suggestions around WHY something is designed the way it is, your ideas become progressively more unlikely.

I'm ignoring your jab at raids because it's not relevant to this point and meaningless to bring up.

If unsual coins are transfrmed into aincient , with each expanion , does this mean that there will be new ways to get the OW armor ? Which is good i guess for the majority .!

There will be more legendary skins in the future ?

I am just saying that Strike was a little step for people to get ready for raids . But based on an mmo article , they dont have any intention to force people for intsnacs and their future raids are subbstainable using OW assets . So it will be a waste not to use green/blue shards in the OW in future expansions and other reason i stated above

• Confused 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

If unsual coins are transfrmed into aincient , with each expanion , does this mean that there will be new ways to get the OW armor ? Which is good i guess for the majority .!

There will be more legendary skins in the future ?

No, I don't think so because I find it more likely that you can buy the Gift with ancient coins as soon as JaWi comes out. I expect that Obsidian Armor will remain the selling point for SoTO, because they don't want to discourage people from buying an expansion. On the contrary, they want to entice you and the only things that really are selling points for future buyers are the new weapon masteries we got and obsidian armor.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

No, I don't think so because I find it more likely that you can buy the Gift with ancient coins as soon as JaWi comes out. I expect that Obsidian Armor will remain the selling point for SoTO, because they don't want to discourage people from buying an expansion. On the contrary, they want to entice you and the only things that really are selling points for future buyers are the new weapon masteries we got and obsidian armor.

Hmm , now that EoD is combined with expasnions , they could offer alternate ways for the EoD Weapons

And next year when Soto is bundled with other , they can offer some alternate ways

Just like Raid armor , you can get from different expansion raids , then the OW legendary can be made to be aquired by more

Who knows

edit: the eod  weapons , can be released with chance for a color you dont have , if you have 5x weapons

• Confused 7

Hmm , now that EoD is combined with expasnions , they could offer alternate ways for the EoD Weapons

And next year when Soto is bundled with other , they can offer some alternate ways

Just like Raid armor , you can get from different expansion raids , then the OW legendary can be made to be aquired by more

Who knows

edit: the eod  weapons , can be released with chance for a color you dont have , if you have 5x weapons

Sure anything is possible but your ideas are unlikely to the point that they are wishful thinking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who knows

Have you made a single EoD legendary (not to mention any variations)? Most of the materials needed are EoD specific. To untangle those and offer another means to create these legendarys not only undermines the integrity of the EoD expansion, it;s also pointless additional work. Literally additional work to make customers spend LESS money on the product.

The same goes for SotO. Have you crafted a single open world legendary piece yet? The entire Obsidian Armor is heavily tied to SotO masteries, currencies and the necessity to own SotO to be able to craft this armor.

Raid armor is tied to wings 1-4. You HAVE to own HoT to be able to craft it. You HAVE to own HoT to be able to complete the achievements for it. I am unsure what you mean with "you can get from different expansion raids". Or to be more precise,  I know what you mean, that being that LI are available from Wings.5-7, but given you seem to have forgotten about the raid armor achievements, your assumption is plain incorrect.

There won't be any re-release of legenadries. The developers have their hands full with creating sufficient NEW content that one of the last things on their mind would be to untie specific rewards from their content. The developers WANT these rewards behind specific content as to encourage players to buy that content, no matter if bundled or not.

The design of unusual/ancient coins and green/blue prophet shards is specifically to make this new content/loot last as long as possible.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Have you made a single EoD legendary (not to mention any variations)? Most of the materials needed are EoD specific. To untangle those and offer another means to create these legendarys not only undermines the integrity of the EoD expansion, it;s also pointless additional work. Literally additional work to make customers spend LESS money on the product.

The same goes for SotO. Have you crafted a single open world legendary piece yet? The entire Obsidian Armor is heavily tied to SotO masteries, currencies and the necessity to own SotO to be able to craft this armor.

Raid armor is tied to wings 1-4. You HAVE to own HoT to be able to craft it. You HAVE to own HoT to be able to complete the achievements for it. I am unsure what you mean with "you can get from different expansion raids". Or to be more precise,  I know what you mean, that being that LI are available from Wings.5-7, but given you seem to have forgotten about the raid armor achievements, your assumption is plain incorrect.

There won't be any re-release of legenadries. The developers have their hands full with creating sufficient NEW content that one of the last things on their mind would be to untie specific rewards from their content. The developers WANT these rewards behind specific content as to encourage players to buy that content, no matter if bundled or not.

The design of unusual/ancient coins and green/blue prophet shards is specifically to make this new content/loot last as long as possible.

Why we need to untangle the mats needed on EoF weapons  ?

We offer alternatives mats like Skyscale , and we put as requirements for people to do EoS events , just like the Oby2 .

And as for the blue/green shard , if there are no Strikes in the future , as I proposed we offered them in Ow .t

Srikes use Ow assets (bosses) , so the actual bosses in personal stories or in Ow could offer as replacement .

We keep the Ow more alive , but legacy instances that ARE PLAGUED with afkers , might take a small hit , but is acceptable to keep the OW more alive

(Sorry for future delay in conversations , but I excersise my Smack Down moves on some strangers language on the airplane:p)

• Confused 5

Why we need to untangle the mats needed on EoF weapons  ?

We offer alternatives mats like Skyscale , and we put as requirements for people to do EoS events , just like the Oby2 .

And as for the blue/green shard , if there are no Strikes in the future , as I proposed we offered them in Ow .t

Srikes use Ow assets (bosses) , so the actual bosses in personal stories or in Ow could offer as replacement .

We keep the Ow more alive , but legacy instances that ARE PLAGUED with afkers , might take a small hit , but is acceptable to keep the OW more alive

(Sorry for future delay in conversations , but I excersise my Smack Down moves on some strangers language on the airplane:p)

Please rewrite this post if you want us to reply to it. It makes absolutely zero sense like this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

There is no rush to get the coins to purchase those items. The way the system works now is forcing players to play the new content if they want it as soon as it comes out. When the currency converts, you'll have the advantage of buying the gifts with Ancient Coins you have collected in EoD and SotO. Even be able to buy Jade Runestones with your excess currency.

• Like 2