Why does the Mist War still exist with the megaserver?

joshisanonymous.5270

Back in the day, the Mist War made sense because each world was a discrete server. You were never gonna PvE with people from other worlds and such. Since converting to a megaserver structure, how is the Mist War now explained? I mean, everyone's in the same place all the time now, technically. There are no longer discrete worlds -- I mean, there are discrete instances, but those potentially collapse into one instance depending on population -- and no need to meet in an in between Mist place, and outside of the Mists, everyone helps each other out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, joshisanonymous.5270 said:

You were never gonna PvE with people from other worlds

Except when you did all the time with guesting to catch world bosses that had their own internal clicks and cool downs per server.

1 hour ago, joshisanonymous.5270 said:

Since converting to a megaserver structure, how is the Mist War now explained?

It's a game mode, don't think about it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, joshisanonymous.5270 said:

Sure, but this is also the lore section of the forums...

And?

Best case scenario you'll get a flimsy excuse to justify it, which is all they can do here.

I mean at least we get a laugh, so let's wait... the world holds its breath.

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

And?

Best case scenario you'll get a flimsy excuse to justify it, which is all they can do here.

I mean at least we get a laugh, so let's wait... the world holds its breath.

You should maybe just avoid this section of the forums. It seems to be bothering you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, joshisanonymous.5270 said:

You should maybe just avoid this section of the forums. It seems to be bothering you.

I've said this about several people who seem to frequent these forums specifically just to not like GW2 or be unhappy. Nobody is forcing him to continue to read and post in the place that actively makes him not have a good time.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, joshisanonymous.5270 said:

Back in the day, the Mist War made sense because each world was a discrete server. You were never gonna PvE with people from other worlds and such. Since converting to a megaserver structure, how is the Mist War now explained? I mean, everyone's in the same place all the time now, technically. There are no longer discrete worlds -- I mean, there are discrete instances, but those potentially collapse into one instance depending on population -- and no need to meet in an in between Mist place, and outside of the Mists, everyone helps each other out.

The actual lore of the Mists war/WvW has changed over time. Currently the actual lore is that the Mist war zones are basically massive scale fractals, warzones that go back and forth until eventually just resetting back to a default state before resuming all over again.

The whole "Gathering resources for your world" bit hasn't been mentioned in a long time in any real way, and the megaserver out of universe side of things was made so that low pop servers would have equal chances to earn loot and get events done. Back in season 1 there was a real disparity between the high pop and low pop servers, because the former would be able to do the limited time world bosses or events much more often successfully.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think there's also a degree of "whatever side you're on is the real Tyria, while the invaders are demons or something." Similar to how a lot of open world events maintain a fiction that you're the real Commander slash Wayfinder, even if you're surrounded by other players who are also being treated as the Commander from their perspective, while from your perspective they're a mass of Pact soldiers, Astral Ward, or whatever you'd expect allied forces to be in the circumstances.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, joshisanonymous.5270 said:

Sure, but this is also the lore section of the forums...

There's always a separation of lore and mechanics to some degree.

The Mists War isn't to depict server vs server, but the WvW mode itself. It was never solidly defined and it was never a firm thing that "1 server == 1 world". The Mist War was originally depicted in-game as "Tyria versus an unquestionably evil enemy", and from the devs was "three separate Tyrias fighting for resources to use against the Elder Dragons". Later years, the in-game lore now is depicted more and more of a Fractal and "who the enemy is" is not with certainty, and the whole "unquestionably evil" as well as "another Tyria" are just theories of Priory scholars, Mists Warriors, etc. But "fighting for resources" is still a thing, yet the Elder Dragons are taken care of and we have the Astral Ward who's big on keeping Tyria safe from threats of the Mists (though primarily about Kryptis) and yet they have nothing to do with the Mists War.

6 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

The whole "Gathering resources for your world" bit hasn't been mentioned in a long time in any real way,

PC: What's in it for me?
Captain Magnus: Besides the council's bounty, you'll have no shortage of spoils. The enemy invaders will be carrying loot, and as we seize territory, you'll be amply rewarded for your efforts.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Captain_Magnus_the_Bloody-Handed#Dialogue

Eh, the fighting for spoils and resources is still kind of there. Was part of the WvW Rush dialogue at least. It's just not at the forefront as it was back before megaservers, when the your server's ranking in WvW determined some minor bonuses in gathering materials, etc.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Thanks 1

I don't see how merging of the worlds would stop factions from different Mist Realms from trying to kill each other. 

In fact, with the merging into a prime reality, each Mist faction would have even more reason to clash and fight each other, and maybe they simply decide to do it in the Mists where none of the bloodshed and fighting will raze and damage Tyria. Just as many factions want to fight each other in the Mist War, as many peaceful factions post world merge may see it unnecessary to bring their violence into the new shared Tyria. 

The fact remains that despite the merging of the worlds, the various Mist War locations still remain as Fractals to facilitate wanton violence in, which makes it even more of a War-Game like situation where the factions of the shared Tyrian reality just goes in there to beat each other up if they can't agree on something.

Edited by Jobber.6348

4 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Eh, the fighting for spoils and resources is still kind of there. Was part of the WvW Rush dialogue at least. It's just not at the forefront as it was back before megaservers, when the your server's ranking in WvW determined some minor bonuses in gathering materials, etc.

I mean the original angle of "Oh the multiverse of tyria is fighting for resources to fight the dragons!" part isn't a thing anymore, and outside of minor gameplay elements, has never been mentioned.

So we get loot and resources sure, but it's more of a generalized "Lion's Arch is bringing in some stuff" vs an active campaign that benefitted the Pact and the battle against Elder Dragons and otherwise.

8 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I think there's also a degree of "whatever side you're on is the real Tyria, while the invaders are demons or something." Similar to how a lot of open world events maintain a fiction that you're the real Commander slash Wayfinder, even if you're surrounded by other players who are also being treated as the Commander from their perspective, while from your perspective they're a mass of Pact soldiers, Astral Ward, or whatever you'd expect allied forces to be in the circumstances.

One way to look at it is the other armies are just fractal soldiers. 

Another possible head-canon one could use is they are different guilds/military units using the Mist War as an active training ground on sieges and open warfare, though high risk given how deadly fractals are in general.

4 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

I mean the original angle of "Oh the multiverse of tyria is fighting for resources to fight the dragons!" part isn't a thing anymore, and outside of minor gameplay elements, has never been mentioned.

So we get loot and resources sure, but it's more of a generalized "Lion's Arch is bringing in some stuff" vs an active campaign that benefitted the Pact and the battle against Elder Dragons and otherwise.

Is it really "not a thing anymore" though? WvW lore has always been light, just because it hasn't been explicitly mentioned in full detail doesn't mean it's no longer a thing.

I don't think it was ever meant to benefit the Pact though - seemed a general "for the races of Tyria" via LA (which was the main access point) than "for the Pact" to me.

4 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Another possible head-canon one could use is they are different guilds/military units using the Mist War as an active training ground on sieges and open warfare, though high risk given how deadly fractals are in general.

Well according to Magnus it's canonically uncertain what the enemies are - or at least he doesn't believe it's a certainty. Fractal soldiers and otherworld invaders are both mentioned by him.

18 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I think there's also a degree of "whatever side you're on is the real Tyria, while the invaders are demons or something."

This was always my understanding, too, but it doesn't make much sense anymore since everyone can end up on the same physical world at any time even outside of the Mists now.

13 hours ago, Jobber.6348 said:

I don't see how merging of the worlds would stop factions from different Mist Realms from trying to kill each other. 

In fact, with the merging into a prime reality, each Mist faction would have even more reason to clash and fight each other, and maybe they simply decide to do it in the Mists where none of the bloodshed and fighting will raze and damage Tyria

That makes sense for the most part, except that the factions don't just avoid fighting outside of the Mists but actually work together in harmony outside of the Mists.

10 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

I think I'm a bit too ignorant of the fractal lore to understand what this really means. Like all the Tyrias are overlapping now but characters is are both linked to their own but perceptible on the others at the same time or something?

On 8/19/2024 at 7:34 PM, joshisanonymous.5270 said:

This was always my understanding, too, but it doesn't make much sense anymore since everyone can end up on the same physical world at any time even outside of the Mists now.

Mechanics versus lore.

From a lore perspective, you can't just meet up in the same physical world - those you fight in WvW isn't Xx Epic Asura XX but instead is Blackgate Invader a generic foe who may or may not look vaguely similar to this asura you know from Rata Sum.

Just like how every player is the Pact Commander, but there's only one the Pact Commander / Champion of Aurene and when you play open world PvP all the other players are just adventurers, mercenaries, and Pact soldiers, not each being another Champion of Aurene.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086