Return of the Research Notes...

Hey gang!

so back when i was playing through End of Dragons i was a little bit frustrated by how many vendors required "Research Notes" (the most annoying currency.)

Research Notes were only obtainable by crafting and destroying objects and not all objects could be destroyed for research notes,

it was very annoying, but i thought hey, jade technicians are all about advanced tech so i'll accept they'd want research notes from a lore perspective, even if it sucks from a gameplay perspective.

and now years later here we are in the wilderness talking with primitive hunter-gatherer bear-people and...they want Research Notes.

not only does a bear-hunter wanting research notes make no sense from a lore standpoint, but it also brings back the most annoying resource.

could we possibly replace Kodan's wanting research notes to...i dunno, Kodan's wanting trophies from monsters in janthir or something?!

anyone else bothered by the return of Research Notes?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Liewec.2896 said:

i was a little bit frustrated by how many vendors required "Research Notes" (the most annoying currency.)

No it isn't. You can use silver and gold along with mid level gems to craft jewelry and research that, these materials aren't used for anything else so they're just sitting on your bank.

Beyond that you can craft jewelry with Mythril which is so abundant that pretty much everyone in game doesn't know what to do with it.

As someone that doesn't like to delete any mats because you never know, with expanded storage and tabs overflowing this was an awesome sink, in minutes I turned stacks and stacks useless metals and gems into tens of thousands of research notes.

This was the idea all along, the market was overflowing with mid level gear that would be crafted during level up and then just tossed at min price, always losing the crafter money, countless pieces just listed there with nothing to do with them, research notes cleared all those and made crafting worthwhile once more.

18 minutes ago, Liewec.2896 said:

anyone else bothered by the return of Research Notes?

No, Anet has always been good at making sure mats stay relevant, I remember a time we'd just sell silk scraps stacks to NPCs because you'd lose money on the TP, research notes make sure every mat tier is relevant which is highly impressive in a 12 year old MMO. 

• Like 2

I despise research notes. I despite the system for the whole bloody thing.
It's not organic and it's clear it's purpose was to try and pull items off the TP to make things worth money again.
I was happy to leave them as an EOD thing but honestly if thier going to make them a thing moving forward as well. I'd like an alternate source to get them rather than spending hours crafting and breaking down things.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

No, Anet has always been good at making sure mats stay relevant, I remember a time we'd just sell silk scraps stacks to NPCs because you'd lose money on the TP, research notes make sure every mat tier is relevant which is highly impressive in a 12 year old MMO. 

ive never enjoyed crafting in games, i just don't do it, and for the longest time GW2 had crafting as an optional activity, you weren't forced to do it.

but then EoD brought in "Research Notes" system that stonewalled so many vendors behind forced crafting,

and now its back in a completely lore-destroying way.

i get that you might think it is a sink for old mats, but it would be so easy to make a far better sink for those mats,

how about a vendor who collects old mats in exchange for something useful, simple!

that way folks like you who care about squeezing every last bit of profit out of the old mats in your bank can do so,

but those of us who really don't enjoy crafting or don't care about old mats in our bank aren't stonewalled by "crafting only" vendors.

Edited by Liewec.2896
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Liewec.2896 said:

get that you might think it is a sink for old mats, but it would be so easy to make a far better sink for those mats,

how about a vendor who collects old ore in exchange for something useful, simple!

Open a menu, press craft 1,000 earnings and check to automatic research it, done.

How is that any harder than opening a vendor and selling 1,000 ingots?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

No it isn't. You can use silver and gold along with mid level gems to craft jewelry and research that, these materials aren't used for anything else so they're just sitting on your bank.

Beyond that you can craft jewelry with Mythril which is so abundant that pretty much everyone in game doesn't know what to do with it.

As someone that doesn't like to delete any mats because you never know, with expanded storage and tabs overflowing this was an awesome sink, in minutes I turned stacks and stacks useless metals and gems into tens of thousands of research notes.

This was the idea all along, the market was overflowing with mid level gear that would be crafted during level up and then just tossed at min price, always losing the crafter money, countless pieces just listed there with nothing to do with them, research notes cleared all those and made crafting worthwhile once more.

Tier 1 an 2 mats say hi; i'm still useless. They were useful for all of 2 days before ANet removed them from research notes because they wanted research notes to cost ~1silver. So all we got was yet another tier 5 material sink.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Sjentra.3409 said:

Tier 1 an 2 mats say hi; i'm still useless. They were useful for all of 2 days before ANet removed them from research notes because they wanted research notes to cost ~1silver. So all we got was yet another tier 5 material sink.

they could have a black market research note for 1s each. it's super annoying to buy things that go one by one into separate inventory spots then click them one by one to turn into research notes

yea, if i have extra mats i can do the autocraft thing, but i struggle to find things made of mats I think i won't need. As basic materials from every tier except t1 are needed to make fancy things.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1