Warclaw Polish

I like what you've done with the warclaw.  You've managed to make it useful in a crowded field.  But there are some rough edges that I think could use some attention:

1 - When interacting with objects (e.g. resource nodes), the character has to land fully on the ground before you're able to interact.  This is not the case for other mounts, which allow you to begin channeling the gathering interaction during the dismount animation.

2 - The pull CC once linked to a target via the spear keeps you rooted for too long after the animation completes.  It also allows you to expend resources such as endurance on dashes that don't trigger because you're rooted when you shouldn't be.

3 - The debuff that extends the cooldown for remounting in combat also applies outside of combat, so that you often end up out of combat and able to use other mounts but not the warclaw.  I think this would feel better if it applied only in-combat and allowed you to mount normally outside of combat.  

4 - I'm not sure what causes this, but I've noticed that when moving up inclines the warclaw can get snagged on steep terrain in places that a player on foot has no issues simply walking up normally.  

5 - The jump doesn't produce enough lift to get into the air for a second jump when moving uphill.  If we could just get a little bit more lift off the initial bounce we could use the multi-jump feature to move up hills, terraces, etc.  But the way it works now that's pretty difficult and most of the time you end up just leaping into the side of the hill you're moving up and going nowhere.

6 - Could we turn off the damage component on dash while out of combat?  It isn't useful for dealing damage and frequently places you in-combat when you're just trying to utilize the skill for movement.

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

Buried the lede, six is the biggest issue by far, imo, at least insofar as it ties in to three . . .

For four, just jump away from the incline, it allows you to drop, which gives you more height on the jump . . .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

Buried the lede, six is the biggest issue by far, imo, at least insofar as it ties in to three . . .

For four, just jump away from the incline, it allows you to drop, which gives you more height on the jump . . .

Eh, yeah it allows you to drop in the wrong direction.  Could be better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rune.9572 said:

1 is wrong. equip consortium sickle with glyph of industry and watch your character complete gathering before touching the ground.

To clarify what I think is going on, the animation for dismounting the warclaw seems to lift you higher than some other mounts.  So whether or not you can begin channeling during the dismount depends upon the shape of the object you're interacting with.  For example, you can interact with a cypress sapling because it's tall, but not a mushroom because it's closer to the ground.  You can even find examples where your angle of approach determines whether or not you can interact with the node.  The same mushroom may become interactable on dismount if you approach it on an incline where your position is lower than the position of the node.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

I understand what you mean about 1, but I haven't seen how it varies from other mounts. It's always kind of hit-or-miss for me, regardless of which mount I'm using . . .

I've never once seen this issue before on another mount and it's easily reproduced on the warclaw.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gop.8713 said:

. . ?

We're playing the same game here, man.  I'll buy that maybe you don't understand what I'm talking about or that you don't care and therefore don't notice this.  But I'm not buying that you're having this issue on your raptor and I'm not or vice versa with the warclaw.  So, I'll get some video of it when I'm in the game later and we'll see if we're on the same page.

• Confused 1

But I've already accepted your premise. I don't need video of you, I believe what you're saying. I'm just saying it's not consistent with my experience. And that's okay. I don't need you to prove anything to me . . .

1 hour ago, Gop.8713 said:

But I've already accepted your premise. I don't need video of you, I believe what you're saying. I'm just saying it's not consistent with my experience. And that's okay. I don't need you to prove anything to me . . .

Sorry, that was a little more combative than I intended.  The purpose of video is first to ensure that we're talking about the same thing.  Second, video might allow us to observe some details that went unnoticed in describing the problem.  If we're both engaging the same process and seeing different results, we would want to know why.  And that should be easier to do when comparing video than by describing the experience.

Here's a quick clip showing a 20% success rate attempting to initiate the channel on a resource node by interacting with it while mounted on the warclaw, compared to 100% success rate on the raptor.  It also appears I was wrong about the shape of the node or the character's position relative to it making a difference.  I saw similar results on taller nodes like cypress saplings and approaching from above or below didn't seem to make a difference either.

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I'd say what we're doing different is you stand next to the node and try to harvest it, and I run up to it and don't stop before I hit the harvest button. But then I just hit harvest again so nbd. Tbh I usually just spam the button until I see it's started harvesting ; p

54 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

I'd say what we're doing different is you stand next to the node and try to harvest it, and I run up to it and don't stop before I hit the harvest button. But then I just hit harvest again so nbd. Tbh I usually just spam the button until I see it's started harvesting ; p

In that case it sounds like we're both experiencing the same thing, you just don't consider it a problem.  That's fine.  But it is different behavior from every other mount in the same situation, resulting in harvesting nodes on the warclaw taking longer.  This is probably not intended behavior.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Perhaps, but for me I'm saying it's the same with any mount. I was having the same trouble before with skyscales . . .

EDIT: I will say that shortly after warclaw was introduced it's dismount was adjusted in wvw bc it could be abused to glitch into structures. Idr if the pve dismount was adjusted as well . . .

Edited by Gop.8713