Crafting and Production Times

This one has been bugging me for a long time now, and every time I have to craft something complicated, it riles me up all over again.
Why on earth is there a (variable) production timer for every single ingot / plank / refinement?

It was quaint on release. The first time you crafted something.
But these days, it's just a pointless waste of the player's time.
You can't do ANYTHING else while crafting those 5,000 planks of Elder Wood or 250 Fulgarites. Your game is effectively paused and held hostage while you wait for it to complete.

It's massively disrespectful of player time, and is an irrelevant throwback to bad practices from the bygone days of subscription MMOs, where every minute of gameplay had a monetary value associated with it, and developers had to stretch the amount of time players had to do things so they were more likely to re-sub.

I remember when Blizzard got called out for it in Diablo 3 and ended up making Gem crafting take the same amount of time no matter the quantity.
Can't we finally have the same here?

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

Last time I crafted 200 Fulgurite just to get rid of too much auric dust, I went to the kitchen an prepared some delicious roast beef sandwiches. Turned out by the time I was done there were only 2 or 3 Fulgurite to go and I could continue playing fully saturated. So yes, for those cases when you want to craft stuff and are not hungry anyway, some speeding up would indeed be welcomed....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Get a second monitor and watch youtube/twitch/Netflix/po......?

Oh, believe me, I do. But I shouldn't have to. Like I say, it feels like they implemented production times simply because that's the way it was done in other MMOs, but it's completely unnecessary here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Oh, believe me, I do. But I shouldn't have to. Like I say, it feels like they implemented production times simply because that's the way it was done in other MMOs, but it's completely unnecessary here.

I would say because it was never intend for items to become of such low value, you need to have recipes to require thousands of a single item. Just so it's cost even makes a dent in your wallet. 

Inflation this, no real material sinks that. 

Imagine how much mithril recipes would actually need to even scratch the supply. 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281

I agree that very slow items like fulgurite should be changed, but I guess that there will always be a minimum of time between crafts, to avoid problems with the performance of the game / server. As the performance already suffers extremely when many single items are added to the inventory / wallet too fast. Maybe bulk-recipes could help?

• Like 2

I can't imagine the crafting speed is performance related, because certain items start crafting really quickly once you do a few, and some items are fairly slow even if you are on the 100th one.

Bulk recipes could help.  Or if you do craft all or set a number, it could just all craft those in one batch - there is no reason it has to do them 1 by 1.  I suppose some of this might be to give players a chance to hit cancel if they accidentally hit craft all and not have all their stuff converted, but I can't imagine that happens very often.

Maybe the slow crafting is slightly more interesting if you have not maxed out your crafting skill so you see your skill go up as you do so, but at this point, I imagine most players have maxed crafting skills.

• Like 3

@Solvar.7953 you've actually given me a good idea for a way for ANet to implement this. Have crafting take time until you've maxed out the track, then, as part of the reward for maxing it out, have all future crafts complete instantly.

Edited by Mungrul.9358
Name mis-spelled.
  • Haha 1