"Foo! Quaggan cannot find page!"

Logging in today, I get a prompt to accept the User Agreement and Privacy Policy again. Problem is, those pages seem to have vanished.

I would guess something was updated, necessitating the new prompt, but I'm one of those crazy people who actually wants to see what I'm agreeing to. So I'm stuck until the documents are accessible.

Edited by Tanek.5983
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can confirm, broken link to User Agreement and a mostly empty Legal page on arenanet.com.
I'm not even sure if there are actually any changes, or that maybe the client just 'forgot' I agreed to it, but if there's anything new I'd rather know before agreeing.

Edit: Privacy Policy link also broken, both in launcher and on arenanet.com.

Edited by Zicxynum.8230

Just now, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

It's basically you have no rights, they can do what ever they want, you waver your legal right to sue them if you feel you've been wronged. Now click accept.

Or does it mean the agreement is null and void and all conditions have vanished with them? :P

• Like 1

It's great that the page is now available again, but it says, at least in the German version:

Last updated: October 18, 2023

So why should I reconfirm something here that I already confirmed almost a year ago?

The same goes for the data protection page.

Changes that have not been documented and are not explained in detail are not valid in the EU!

5 minutes ago, Markus.6492 said:

It's great that the page is now available again, but it says, at least in the German version:

Last updated: October 18, 2023

So why should I reconfirm something here that I already confirmed almost a year ago?

The same goes for the data protection page.

Changes that have not been documented and are not explained in detail are not valid in the EU!

Same for the english version, not sure why the launcher still prompts users.
Personally I didn't click accept in case the User Agreement was actually supposed to be updated, but a rollback on the website caused the previous version to show.
Will wait for either an update note or a revised User Agreement.

2 minutes ago, Zicxynum.8230 said:

I just retried, launcher updated, still asks for agreement on my end.

Same. I'll hold off until it stops asking (at which point I guess the 2023 version is still current) or we hear from ANet about an update.

So I filed a ticket with support asking why the launcher demands me to accept again, if it maybe somehow forgot I already did, or if its asking acceptance of the new Privacy Policy in advance, or that something did in fact change which is not displayed on the website.

The reply I got is not entirely the answer to my question, but they did say that this new notification/prompt is in fact for the same User Agreement and Privacy Policy from 2023, as is currently displayed on the website.

At least I have written text that says I am effectively accepting the same agreement a second time.
That's enough for me to continue on, though I would still very much like an official word on the forums and/or patch notes that officially acknowledges it as a bug, so the people that didn't contact support directly also know this was not intentional.

I got that also.

I stopped reading EULAs years ago, they're all basically the same we're pawns with no rights. It's well known that hardly anyone reads those. Nobody would accept most of them if the choice were something other than: 

1. sign all the things for all the companies and hope the agreements are not too enforceable if something actually bad would ever happen.
  2. move to a distant area far away from civilization and be self-sufficient, and never use technology ever, never even approach technology. 

But i was bothered that I ticked a box that didn't even offer me a copy of whatever thing.

34 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hey all, a quick update on this: It doesn't indicate a change in the User Agreement, there was an error that caused it to pop up in the launcher. Sorry about the confusion!

Thank you for acknowledging the issue and telling us that it was an error.
I will be playing again tonight. 😄

1 hour ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hey all, a quick update on this: It doesn't indicate a change in the User Agreement, there was an error that caused it to pop up in the launcher. Sorry about the confusion!

Thank you for the update. I ended up needing to hit Agree for a livestream, so it is good to know I only re-agreed to what was already there. 🙂

23 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hi thanks for the response! Unfortunately I'm still confused: I found an email in my spam box just now saying there is a change (I told my email app to not be so silly as to put Anet things in spam, in the future). It points to this page, which is dated October of this year. 

The text of the email says,

Greetings:

We’re reaching out to inform you about upcoming updates to the ArenaNet Privacy Policy. These changes reflect our efforts to be transparent with players and comply with evolving legal requirements. The updated Privacy Policy will take effect on October 8. If you’d like to review it before then, you can access it here: Updated ArenaNet Privacy Policy.

The updated Privacy Policy clarifies and amplifies our descriptions of certain ArenaNet data processing practices. For example, we elaborate on our perspective regarding Privacy Policy applicability by calling out that we intend for the policy to cover data collected at live events and in connection with playtesting and partner programs. We’ve also added specifics about the types of personal data we collect, particularly from website visitors and job seekers. For instance, updated disclosures give more information on unique identifiers, purchase history, click paths, and interactions with our website and advertisements. Additionally, we’ve clarified how we categorize third-party recipients based on their business roles.

The updates also address recent changes in data privacy treaties, international data transfers, your rights concerning your personal data, and new contact information for our privacy teams and EU representatives.

Best regards,

ArenaNet

Can you double-check why there is mixed messaging on this?

Thanks so much. 🙂

Edited by willow.8209

• ArenaNet Staff

@willow.8209 I can! Tuesday's popup did not indicate a change to the User Agreement, there was an error that caused it to show up in the launcher. As the email mentioned, the updated Privacy Policy will take effect on October 8--it is not in effect now. 

When it does take effect next month, there will be a new popup in the launcher.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2