New Player - Buying expansion

I'm so confused on the way this game expansions work, they have bundles, and then restrictions on what bundles you can buy depending on what you own, and then a new expansion that says you need previous expansions to use the warclaw, and chapters which are in some bundles, but not all listed on the gems store.

I only own the base game from 10 years ago, if I buy janthir wilds what do I get? 

Not sure why arenanet has made this so confusing, and I'm seriously thinking about just walking because this is to confusing. Right now I have a trial raptor mount which is cool, I was going to wait till the collections go on sale, but I guess I cant buy anything from them till then. Anyways, no idea it's super confusing and yeah I'm on the verge of walking over this.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

When you don't know something you can use the internet to look it up.

You can also figure out what buying JW gets you the same way

The shop site of JW also tells you what is included in the expansion

Is typing into Google things like "GW2 <insert expansion here>" and clicking on a link from Anet, or wiki or an Anet blogpost from before release really so confusing that it makes you think of not even playing the game? 

Edited by IAmNotMatthew.1058
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Ryeloc.4817 said:

I'm so confused on the way this game expansions work, they have bundles, and then restrictions on what bundles you can buy depending on what you own, and then a new expansion that says you need previous expansions to use the warclaw, and chapters which are in some bundles, but not all listed on the gems store.

I only own the base game from 10 years ago, if I buy janthir wilds what do I get? 

Not sure why arenanet has made this so confusing, and I'm seriously thinking about just walking because this is to confusing. Right now I have a trial raptor mount which is cool, I was going to wait till the collections go on sale, but I guess I cant buy anything from them till then. Anyways, no idea it's super confusing and yeah I'm on the verge of walking over this.

You don't need to buy any other expansion to unlock the warclaw. You get the warclaw, springer and bats gliding with the expansion (you may get raptor too, not sure).

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Ryeloc.4817 said:

the wiki has a nice table on the features of each expansion.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Expansion#Features_overview
i don't think i have seen anywhere else a better overview about what you get with the purchases so far.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When you go into which past expansion features you retroactively get from newer ones, it gets confusing. But the simplest starting point you can go from is this: Each expansion gives you at the very least that expansion's features, even if you don't have any of the others. The game is modular like that. There is a thing in place where you get basic access to some of the PoF mounts from other expansions even if you don't have PoF.

As for what the whole 'basic' vs 'full' business is in the table bq pd linked itt, so gliding and the mounts all come from specific expansions, and originally having access to them was exclusive to those expansions. By now, newer expansions grant you basic access to some of those things from older expansions, but the masteries to improve them are still part of and locked to the older expansions. In part, it's because even if you had access to the masteries, you wouldn't be able to level them up because you can only do that in the expansion-specific regions. As in HoT mastery points can only be leveled up in HoT zones etc. Especially the first two expansions were also like 90s/2000s platformer games in part, where you had to use the new gimmick (gliding for hot, mounts for pof) to get some special points (mastery points) that were otherwise hard to reach, use the points to unlock new abilities and then use those abilities to get even more points. 

SotO kind of re-introduced the skyscale as a flagship feature with new abilities and Janthir Wilds did the same for Warclaw. 

The reality is that this is all made for convenience to ease new players in. For the purpose of exploring all the overworld stuff of any given expansion, you technically don't need anything other than what that expansion specifically provides. I think I've seen one person complain about a spot in janthir that you can't reach with just the warclaw, but that warclaw can get REALLY high is you time the jumps right. I have my doubts about it. 

If you want to permanently unlock raptor for now and don't care too much about some spoilers (new expansion are mostly individual stories, but there's some spoilers I guess), then buying the newest expansion (Janthir Wilds) now kind of makes sense. And then wait on the collection to go on sale.

Janthir probably won't go on sale for another year or so, but the collection will probably go on sale pretty soon (and I'm pretty sure Janthir is not included in the collection)

Edited by jokke.6239

1 hour ago, bq pd.2148 said:

i don't think i have seen anywhere else a better overview about what you get with the purchases so far.

Really nice and compact.

But I don't understand why rev is listed as new profession in PoF and EoD.

1 hour ago, Ryeloc.4817 said:

I can understand that. When I returned to the game I bought PoF and though I have it all then but I didn't know that there were (important) seasons that can only be purchased in game and were only free around release date. Ruined my story chronology.

You have it better, you could buy a complete edition with them incl.

If you just return and want to see if this game will bring the fire back then just buy Janthir. It's new and probably won't be on sale that soon. But keep in mind it isn't complete yet. The trend is to release an expansion split in pieces, and each piece months apart. The story and 2 maps won't keep you busy for long yet.

When a sale comes around you can still buy the ultimate or complete edition of the dragon saga (the last time it was about 20-30% off) and SotO to have it all.
The ulitmate ed doesn't incl. the seasons but it comes with other goodies and 4000 gems which you can use to buy the seasons ingame (best when on sale aswell).
The complete edition comes with the seasons but no further goodies and no gems.
Both cost same, the ultimate may be cheaper on sale than the complete.

36 minutes ago, Lucy.3728 said:

But I don't understand why rev is listed as new profession in PoF and EoD.

My first guess was because HoT comes bundled with PoF, alternatively the Elder Dragon Saga, but looking at the wiki of Rev it says "The profession is only available to players who have purchased any of the Elder Dragon Saga expansions: Heart of Thorns, Path of Fire or End of Dragons."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bq pd.2148 said:

It is a bit complicated so OP has a point. However, this link is great at pointing out what you get from all the different expansions and living world seasons. Thanks for posting it.

Buying JW is probably a reasonable starting point BUT it doesn't give you any elite specs.

The HoT+PoF bundle is the best value for money to get elite specs (2 for each profession) plus you can unlock full gliding and more mount functionality.

You should make yourself aware of what the living world seasons are and how you acquire them before you spend much on expansions like HoT+PoF or EoD. If you like the story or want lots of content to play and you are going to buy multiple expansions then you should be aware that the Elder Dragon Saga Complete edition exists which bundles in all the living world seasons too. I believe it's the cheapest way to get everything prior to SOTO, assuming you wanted to get it all of course.

• Like 2