When are we finally getting rid of server selection?

erapago.4387

Seems like every other day on reddit, we're getting questions from people asking what server they should choose. It's a really important choice in most MMOs - hasn't mattered in GW2 for a long while (even before world restructuring, it should've been a choice made when opening the WvW panel, and not when making your first character).

So, when? Just automatically assign to a server invisibly in the background and eliminate a difficult, but useless choice.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

I assume they'll take it out when World Restructuring is out of beta and takes over as the new standard version of WvW. So...another 5 years?

I agree the current set-up is a problem for new players though. It'd be really helpful if they could add a note to say your world only matters for WvW and may never matter once the beta is over.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I assume they'll take it out when World Restructuring is out of beta and takes over as the new standard version of WvW. So...another 5 years?

^^this
The project has been put in perpetual beta, which most likely means no one is working on it/interest in working on it has faded/it's not profitable to work on it. So it will probably never happen. It was a nice dream to have.

• Confused 5

15 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

^^this
The project has been put in perpetual beta, which most likely means no one is working on it/interest in working on it has faded/it's not profitable to work on it. So it will probably never happen. It was a nice dream to have.

To be fair the pepetual beta only started in June this year, and they've said (as recently as this week) there's a WvW-focused QoL patch planned for later this year. World Restructuring as a whole has been in development for a very long time but it's not like it's been abandoned for years and we haven't heard anything about it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

To be fair the pepetual beta only started in June this year, and they've said (as recently as this week) there's a WvW-focused QoL patch planned for later this year. World Restructuring as a whole has been in development for a very long time but it's not like it's been abandoned for years and we haven't heard anything about it.

True.
It's just that, while they were "working on it", i.e. in the time between announcing that they were working on it and announcing that they were putting it into beta mode, I could live the dream of "hey, they're actively developping WvW, that's neat!". After the announcment that world restructuring has been set to being in permanent beta testing I pretty much lost all hope. It feels like we're back to the times where nothing happens, maybe little things like moving a camp 5m to the left or adding a karma vendor. I know it's all semantics/psychological, but for all I care they've stopped working on world restructuring/alliances some time last year, probably as it was too hard to work around the spaghetti code, and announcing the perpetual beta was just more PR'able than saying "we tried and had to give up, it's not happening, sry".

• Confused 4

14 hours ago, erapago.4387 said:

it should've been a choice made when opening the WvW panel, and not when making your first character

I wonder if that would have helped with population, when only the interested wvw players take a spot and not every only-pve player too.

13 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

there's a WvW-focused QoL patch planned for later this year

Don't get your hopes up.
Their last QoL updates (like the spam on sniff; the sloppily executed engage guards -> no more contest) worsened my quality.

Otherwise I may expect the warclaw to be useful in wvw apart from running from A to B (in many cases, in some it's even slower - stairs *cough*).

Today I had a willbender commander and he was faster by foot than us on our warclaws 🤣
I'm glad he didn't complain that people weren't on tag.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1