Need to buy a new monitor

sticx.5823

My current second monitor is on the fritz, so I have to buy a new one. As long as I'm buying a new monitor, I thinking of just replacing my old primary, and making that my new 2nd monitor, as it's got a few blown pixels.

So I'm curious, as a not really hugely tech savvy guy. How much difference would I really notice between a 4k monitor vs a nice 2k ultra wide? Is it going to be mind blowing, or just a tiny difference I'll barely notice. I've tried to watch video's of 4k vs 1080p in games, and I can barely tell a difference. But that might be because I'm watching them on a 1080p monitor? lol Here's an example of the two types of monitors I'm debating on, these are not the exact monitor's I would buy, just the spec/size I'm looking at.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824025514

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABJY4PF1494

It depends on haw far away from your screen you want to sit, and whether or not your GPU can push 4k. You will be able to sit closer to the 4k screen without seeing individual pixels, but if you're already sitting a far enough away to not see pixels on your 1080p screen, you won't notice a difference between 2k and 4k.

Watching videos at 4K vs 1080 on your current monitor is not going to show you any difference. You need to go down to your local electronic goods store and go stand or sit in front of actual working models of these plugged into stuff and playing videos. You will then be able to accurately judge whether this is right for you or not.

And make sure your computer can handle it. An upgrade to your video card may be a better improvement depending on what you have.

If you do any other sort of fast paced gaming, you could also try to looking into monitors that offer high refresh rates such at 100-120 or 144hz monitors. They make a night and day difference, Even to GW2. (makes everything buttery smooth if you can keep a fps of 60 or higher)

@"Nienow.1705" said:I would get an ultrawide no doubt. Actually, I'm going to buy one this year

Here's a counter-argument for that.

I actually have a Quad-wide (3440x1440) Dell U3415W as my primary. There are some cons to going with a monitor that wide.

Sure, it's beautiful and immersive. I love it for casual content. It's annoying for cut-scenes in GW2, especially if Norn or other large races are involved (frequently the cut-scene cuts off most or all of the head of tall characters), but overall it's wonderful for casual content.

For "challenging content", it's actually made me a worse player. The main problem is that even with the monitor at arm's length, it's so wide that the edges of the screen are on the edge of my field of vision. Couple that with GW2's limited UI customization capability and I run into issues with missing things that are happening on the edges of the display. Things like players in raid squads or WvW squads being low on health, or icons appearing on the mini-map during a raid fight. It wouldn't be a problem if we were allowed to move elements of the UI around more, like we could with the original Guild Wars.

A friend of mine has the exact same monitor. He doesn't raid in GW2, but he does notice some of the "missing things on the edges" issue that I do. We both sometimes miss chat items / private messages. It happens often enough that one of our other friends has dubbed it "Massive Monitor Syndrome".

Good luck on your purchase!

Solstice

Archived