Class pick - solo content explo

Rylec.3196

Hi guys, i didnt play much PoF content (similar to seasons 2-4 episodes) and I'm wondering about making same change in this matter. I would like to create new hero for that and not sure which class shall it be - wheter it should be necro or ranger. I'm interested in solo runs, getting achives and full map explo (never done it so far). I do have some game experiance with engi/mesmer (again- without PoF changes) but i don't enjoy either of them any more. I know some basics about core ranger, without specialization, and had some some necro/reaper time in wvw. Basically my only concer is which of those two can handle soloing champs (im guessing master minion for necro is still an option, i did read some time ago that ranger with bear+ strong heal can do it as well but it might just be a rumor. Possibly i would give a try with some fractals, not interested in raids nor pvp/wvw content - only pve. So in fact i limited my options to those 2 classess as i think they are the easies one for running alone. Also -correct me if im wrong- that after unlocking mounts map explo time is similar for both classes, so if i wanna do it as fast as possible i should go to PoF after getting 80 lvl for the mount, and later focus on map explo/ unlocking specialization?Thank you kindly for any comments

Out of ranger and necro, both are highly recommended for easy open world play, but ranger is much more sought after in raids/fractals. The new Soulbeast spec can do respectable damage, but the HoT druid spec is mostly why groups seek out rangers. If healing doesn't appeal to you, however, you may wish to consider other options or you may find yourself feeling pressured into using a spec you dislike.

Since you played mesmer, I'll advocate for my favorite-of-the-moment: Mirage (PoF elite spec). Depending upon how comfortable you are with actively avoiding damage (evades, teleports, etc.), it can be very survivable while pumping out top notch damage! They are much lower on utility than chrono and you may see some of the same issues (pressure to play chrono) in group play, but mirage is among the best raid damage dealers so there is a niche for it.

Here's my most recent mirage bounty champion solo kill video from this morning:

Tons more examples of that sort of thing on my channel. Feel free to subscribe if you're into that sort of thing! I plan to make many more! Good luck and feel free to hit me up in game if you have any questions!

@"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:Very impressive! Some close calls, but impressive nonetheless.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

Using a glass build (full viper) with very little in the way of healing and condi cleanse, I'm frequently forced to stretch those cooldowns just a few seconds longer to recover from damage spikes. But that's much of the fun of mirage for me! Most of my videos have dicey moments like that where I have multiple enemies attacking me and any hit kill me but I just barely manage to avoid it all long enough to recover!

Check this one out. Commander Razorwing. A couple of times in the video I'm getting pelted by veteran archers while focusing the boss and I dip below 100 health but never go down! My girlfriend always laughs at the intense look of focus on my face when I'm doing these encounters! LoL

I main a Druid and i love to pvp with this class. How many times ppl thought i was dead and i just reborn from the ashes with full health, lol.But it's a bit frustrating when playing pve/ open world content beacouse you lack AoE dmg skills. So, when i bought PoF i just got my necro, unlocked Scourge and had A LOT of fun, melting everything in my way with my health bar always full of health and barriers, lol.Now i'm playing my Ele to unlock Weaver. And i'm having quite fun times too! I'm geared all Celestian, playing staff Tempest. I just don't die and can deal some decent damage.

I main a ranger and have 3 sets of armor for him.Condi and harriers for open pve, fractals and power for wvw.I really enjoy him a lot and never regret it. My pet can tank everything in open pve and if it dies i just go to soulveast mode and back for hard bosses. Is a very forgiving class.Finding pets around tyria is nice, and i like the naming thing a lot.I m playing druid in pvp wich os awesome also.Necro is fine too but i think ranger is a lot better.If you cant decide just play both.

Just started leveling my first Necro, so can't say much about it yet.

Pre-PoF I had lukewarm feelings for Ranger. Sure, it was easy to use in exploration and worldbosses, but it didn't feel interesting to me (maybe because I dislike pets and minions in general).When PoF was released however I tried Power Soulbeast and it made the world of diference for me. In openworld it can burst down mobs fairly quick, and has near permanent Fury and Quickness. Champions in older zones can be tricky but manageable with proper heals, evades and kiting. Can't speak for champions in newer zones.I have yet to try her out in PvP/WvW or instanced PvE, but that is fine as I usually don't play that content anyway.

This is what I am currently running.

@"Dashiva.6149" said:Just started leveling my first Necro, so can't say much about it yet.

Pre-PoF I had lukewarm feelings for Ranger. Sure, it was easy to use in exploration and worldbosses, but it didn't feel interesting to me (maybe because I dislike pets and minions in general).When PoF was released however I tried Power Soulbeast and it made the world of diference for me. In openworld it can burst down mobs fairly quick, and has near permanent Fury and Quickness. Champions in older zones can be tricky but manageable with proper heals, evades and kiting. Can't speak for champions in newer zones.I have yet to try her out in PvP/WvW or instanced PvE, but that is fine as I usually don't play that content anyway.

This is what I am currently running.

In HoT you needed hero points, many of which spawned champions. But HoT HP champions have significantly less health than the champions-on-demand in PoF known as bounties. As I recall, HoT champs have somewhere in the 500-800k health range, while PoF bounty champs have more like 1.5-2m and always spawn with one defensive unstable magic buff that will either reduce damage dealt to them in some way or heal them. Yet they have the same 10 minute timer!

So if you're really concerned about fully soloing champions and not just being able to hang in there until help arrives, PoF champions require a much more offensive build to succeed than HoT champs did. I have to imagine that's not really a huge concern for most players, but there are people like me out there who like to do that sort of thing!

thank you for all the comments. This mesmer-mirage gameplay is really impressive but i'm afraid that im not skilled enough or patient to learn this build combo. And thats one of the reasons for me to pick either necro or ranger - as i'm hoping that spam 1-1-1-1 is an option to run almost everywhere :-) And by fighting solo with champs i was thinking about core tyria while map traveling. I remember that as an engi i found it difficult to do, while master minion and mesmer had some success. Again - thanks for your imput

@"Rylec.3196" said:thank you for all the comments. This mesmer-mirage gameplay is really impressive but i'm afraid that im not skilled enough or patient to learn this build combo. And thats one of the reasons for me to pick either necro or ranger - as i'm hoping that spam 1-1-1-1 is an option to run almost everywhere :-) And by fighting solo with champs i was thinking about core tyria while map traveling. I remember that as an engi i found it difficult to do, while master minion and mesmer had some success. Again - thanks for your imput

Oh for core you can pretty much do whatever you want. Mesmer and necro are easy to play because your clones/minions run distraction for you. Just run a good ranged weapon and keep plenty of distractions between you and the enemy. Pretty simple even if you aren't so keen on fast gameplay.

Even I do it (example video incoming!). If you watch from about 4:15 I accidentally get a little too close to one of those spinning blue lasers and then eat a big hit from the boss with about 6 seconds left on my heal cooldown! So, like any "pro" player I drop back to staff, phase retreat to blink away and leave a clone behind, and then go hide behind a rock for a few seconds until my heal is ready!

Imagine if you were never face to face with the enemy in the first place? You could just sit back at range popping clones and hiding behind rocks! It may not be the brave thing to do, but it's effective!

I would go with Necro, Ranger gets old a bit too fast to my liking, very simple to play and while Necro is also simple to pick up and play at least you look cool while doing it since it's more visually rich, I also prefer it for open world map exploration (Spectral Walk/Sand Swell).

Archived