Youtube and Gw2

zealex.9410

@Nord.1492 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:People act like something bad is going to happen to GW2 now.

This game will die soon. My friendlist, maps, lfg is like a big ghost town. No need to make yt content for this.

Probably. I mean this game doesn't exist in gaming media. But it will die because of different factors, not because of youtube monetization changes.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

opens threadyznCCIp.gif

In all seriousness, in my opinion it won't really affect most creators who are under this "border" in the sense of "I may not do GW2 content anymore". Overall for the whole youtube community, it might strike some badly, but in this specific case for a game that is... sadly not really that extremely popular or known it makes no difference.

I have a personal view about monetization and I don't think anyone should even go for it before they reach a certain point in "popularity" and being stable or keep growing. I myself won't go for monetization (probably ever), because I can't care and half of my videos are copyright claimed anyway because of music or movie scenes used. Do it out of passion first and enjoyment naturally, then when you see you are stable and grew yourself out of the ground, you then could consider it as a form of help and revenue to keep yourself up or to improve, but don't base yourself on it until you are waaaaaaay above 300k subs and have stable high amount of views and view times and make regular content.

I know there are small GW2 content creators in subs, but I don't think any of their aim is "oh yeah I got my 1k sub and 4k hours of view in a year, let's go for that ~$50 revenue for a year", I know it pays little at that point anyway, of course it CAN be a bit of a help if you want to improve, any amount of money you can get is help all the time, you still work for it. I'm not saying nobody deserves the money they earn, whatever way you do it still takes some effort in the end to make.

I honestly don't even know at this point what am I trying to say since you can't really comment much about such matter, we can't change it but accept it. But I don't think it will affect the creators of GW2 content.

On a side note, yeah Youtube and Twitch and such platforms can be a JOB, don't be stuck-up minded, it can be turned into either a business and/or a passion, so yes, it can be a job and IS a job for many already, it's a real job. People who says "this is not a real job/work" it is just as much of a job like being self employed, or you even have your own team who you pay or share revenue with.

Also can someone translate what WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 is trying to say in each of their comments because I honestly can't understand most of it and I refrain from replying to them since I'm not 100% sure what they try to say or mean.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:People act like something bad is going to happen to GW2 now.

This game will die soon. My friendlist, maps, lfg is like a big ghost town. No need to make yt content for this.

Probably. I mean this game doesn't exist in gaming media. But it will die because of different factors, not because of youtube monetization changes.

Oh yeah is that so? How can Anet not see that Youtube und Twitch are mandatory especially for their "unpopular" or "not so well known" game? There is almost no support for Content Creators on Youtube to make the game better known, instead they are wasting ressources to take a step in ESL and making strange facebook marketing strategies.You cannot make 4000h+ Content for 3 Months of wait which you play in 4hours and thats Anets fault. You cannot make Content for a game thats half bugged and almost every part Pve/Pvp/Wvw is unbalanced as hell and thats Anets fault. You cannot make Content for splitting up the community to facebook, reddit, twitter and not even post on your own forums.... and thats it... nobody wants to make content for this game which is a loss of popularity and money. Youtube doesnt care and they are right, they have licenses from Riot und Blizzard to make a hell of money.But hey, iam missing the point that this is not blizzard, they dont have the money or the employees for that huge amount of fixes and marketing and until then they have to bake small cakes till this game dies, not the big one. :P

@Nord.1492 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Oh yeah is that so? How can Anet not see that Youtube und Twitch are mandatory especially for their "unpopular" or "not so well known" game? There is almost no support for Content Creators on Youtube to make the game better known, instead they are wasting ressources to take a step in ESL and making strange facebook marketing strategies.You cannot make 4000h+ Content for 3 Months of wait which you play in 4hours and thats Anets fault. You cannot make Content for a game thats half bugged and almost every part Pve/Pvp/Wvw is unbalanced as hell and thats Anets fault. You cannot make Content for splitting up the community to facebook, reddit, twitter and not even post on your own forums.... and thats it... nobody wants to make content for this game which is a loss of popularity and money. Youtube doesnt care and they are right, they have licenses from Riot und Blizzard to make a hell of money.But hey, iam missing the point that this is not blizzard, they dont have the money or the employees for that huge amount of fixes and marketing and until then they have to bake small cakes till this game dies, not the big one. :P

Gw 2 is a dying game honestly mmorpgs in general is dying

This post has become more of a Rorschach test on people views about YouTube and GW2 than about the actual news item, which is simple:

Starting today [YouTube is] changing the eligibility requirement for monetization to 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers.

The old standard was:

April of 2017, we set a YPP eligibility requirement of 10,000 lifetime views.

The reason they changed the requirements?

While that threshold provided more information to determine whether a channel followed our community guidelines and policies, it’s been clear over the last few months that we need a higher standard....so spammers, impersonators, and other bad actors can’t hurt our ecosystem or take advantage

That translates to:

Assuming someone is putting out [10.1] minutes of content a week, or about 8 hours and 40 minutes of content a yearyou only need 462 full views per video to break the 4000 hour mark.

Is this going to have an impact? Well Google certainly hopes so, that's why they changed the rules. Will it be good or bad for GW2? Google hopes it will be good, of course. Can we make any useful predictions? Sure

• Some people will make longer videos hoping to exceed the watchtime threshold. Most of us expect that to backfire: we mostly like short & to-the-point. Long videos tend to make us skip around or close the window altogether.
  • Some people will stop making videos. Of course, but some people would have stopped anyhow, because it's not as if the program paid a lot last year. It takes a lot of dedication to produce 10 useful minutes/week.
  • The few "big name" GW2 vloggers probably won't be affected.
    • WP has 130k subscribers. (A single two-minute video each year watched by half the subscribers does the trick.)
    • AuroraPeachy has 27k. (Needs two 9 minute videos each watched by half her fans.)
    • BogOtter has 4k. (ten twelve minute videos watched by half his fans)

Will any of this have much impact on things important to us, such as in-game population, gem shop sales, expansion keys purchased, or whether MountFits drop from their 1.6-2k price? Doesn't seem likely, does it?

• 2 weeks later...

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:People act like something bad is going to happen to GW2 now. Reality is the only serious youtube creator for GW2 is wooden potatoes. The rest is too small to get revenue big enough to make living out of it.

So if you see youtube creator leaving GW2 content because of these changes you can clearly see that such person was making content based on greed, not passion.

the honest truth is some of the GW2 content makers are doing it on greed when they seen it and no passion in it at all . just plan greed note i said some not all the only 2 that far as i know that i do not think is making videos for greed is wooden potatoes and duffy . i honestly think they are the only one that makes videos cause they really loves the game and been doing it since guild wars so them the only 2 i think that are not in it for the greed . but for the rest of the content makers on you tube in this game yes they are in it for the greed . they come out many times and make it very clear they doing it for the greed . that is why they went to patron and twitch and even had one tell me they use it to make money to support their family . and even posted videos of people sending them a PLAYSTATION 4 in just the last 2 months .

thing is any one can hop on to you tube and twitch and make videos!! not that hard to do heck even i could do streaming videos all day and all night if i wanted to but not going to do it i enjoy the game too much

also too this is not just about the guild wars 2 video content makers at all . it is about ANY ONE and EVERYONE that makes YouTube videos i seen this topic come up many times as of late from hard ware video makers to soft ware makers to truck drivers . and a lot of the hard ware makers that do tech shows have really made it clear that they are getting hit by this as well too !! so the guild wars 2 content makers on YouTube that are crying over and about this . is not the only ones that are getting hit by it at all . every one on YouTube is getting hit by this .

So, trying to earn money in order to be able to feed one's family is greed?

i think that point has been clearly made already very clear enough and has been agreed to and with by other posters on this topic .

when any one with smart phone and laptop or desktop can go out and make a video game play video of lets play pubG case in point and are doing so to make money to support their family. well they have lost sight of every thing . now if they have a store lets say and that store offered real world items it could be argued the same way but yet they have changed in many ways and maybe offer something of world worth but yet not of any worth at all with videos of lets play . they really need to think things over and look at more better ideas to provide for their family's . as making lets play video game videos well any one like i said can do it .

hope that answers your questions and maybe other forum posters will chime in on this topic as well too

There's nothing wrong with trying to make money doing the thing that you love. In fact, everyone is told from a very young age, that if you love a job, then it isn't really work, or try and find a job doing what you love to do, and it won't ever feel like work, etc. These are all variations on a theme. If someone loves playing games, then it shouldn't be a crime for them to make money off of it. That's like saying that teachers that enjoy teaching don't deserve to be paid. It's the worst kind of sentiment. Yes... any idiot can go online and make a video and post it on youtube in an ATTEMPT to make money. Here's the thing, though... content viewers can usually tell the difference. Wooden Potatoes actively monetizes his love for the game, and that's fine. You know why? Because most people wouldn't watch those videos, even if they told us all the exact same information, if it was delivered in a dull monotone. It's his passion for Guild Wars that actually sells his channel, and his love and enthusiasm for the game that makes us want to watch. The random idiot who goes on and makes a random video isn't going to make money at it, because the people who put that kind of viewing time in don't want to watch garbage. The idea here is that, if someone is passionate about something, then they do have the right to make money at it as well. And in the case of YouTube ad revenue, it costs us nothing but a mouse click or two, and a few minutes (or hours in WPs case, JK I love you WP) of our time, which hopefully we thoroughly enjoyed.

Archived