Help me choose things!

Khaliel.3918

Hello! I've been playing Guild Wars 2 for years and i reached pretty much all my goals in the game, so i decided to play the game from level 1 again as ranger and only use items or currency i get while playing her, just to relax. I need suggestions!What weapons, pets, sigils, runes, utilities, traitlines should i use?

First, gz @"Alehin.3746" on reaching "pretty much" all your in-game goals. As the Asura PC says, "quite an accomplishment."

I'll answer your question indirectly, by offering up first some ideas for changing your approach to the game. Included in them are suggestions on builds.

Over the years, some folks have come up with some challenges to make the game feel fresh to them again. You can mix & match any of the following:

• Iron Man, in gaming, that requires you to re-roll if you die. It makes you very, very careful, especially as you get closer to L80.
  • Live off the land, aka @"Fluffball.8307"'s suggestion to only use what actually drops for your character.
  • Live off the land, Gangnam style, by allowing crafting (but only what your character can make, after manually leveling crafts).
  • Over-achiever: only visit areas in which you are 3-5 levels below the local mobs. (Transit through 'easy' spots is fine.)
  • Gandhi Gaming, aka Pacifist Extremism, in which you can only level through crafting, exploration, and non-violent hearts. Healing builds ok.
  • Bootts' Bad Builds: choose a "bad" build from YouTubers WorldofEnders + Wooden Potatoes.
  • GW1 Nostalgia Build: choose a build that most closely resembles something people played in GW1. You can use PvXWiki
  • GW1 Nostalgia Route: as best you can, follow the route of the missions in GW1. You'd start in Ascalon and follow the order from GW1 Prophecies, using _thatshaman's map comparison of the two games. (You'll sometimes have to skip, since the route requires some L80-requirement zones in GW2.)
  • Build by RNGesus: roll a die to determine your build. 1-6 to choose your traitline (in hero panel order); specific traits are top = 1|2, middle = 3|4 etc; and similarly for skills.
  • Classic builds: choose builds that were popular at launch (or still are popular) among various niches, including BearBow, staff|GS mesmer, four-signet warrior, and so on.

The main idea with any of the above is to change your perspective, so stick to the ones that sound appealing to you. Or use them to catalyze your own brainstorming process.

Do the Merciless challenge: Merciless Challange: https://imgur.com/a/YgkhK (click on link to see all images not just this) , more info can be seen here: https://pastebin.com/raw/86zrmU8gAnd here is Merciless 1.1 (it did change how many tomes of knowledge you was allowed to use) : https://imgur.com/a/rTHOA

And if you want you can go as far as you want after you done the main challange (Kill Zaitan)

So, it seems the other commenters here missed the fact that by suggestions, you were asking for gear and not for challenges. (Kudos to you though for replaying in this manner!)

I've mained a ranger since launch, but I can only speak to what works for me. I don't like hiding behind my pet and having it tank for me, so I prefer "DPS" pets. Birds are a good option for this. I also use Greatsword and Longbow, which are generally considered the best open-world weapons. They can do a lot of damage very quickly, but it can be a lot of fun to use condi weapons in the open world anyways. I'd say the weapons that are most fun, in my opinion, are GS/LBow, Sword, and SBow. Dual axes can also be pretty fun sometimes.

As for utilities, I really like Troll Unguent for the Heal, Strength of the Pack for the Elite, and Lightning Reflexes for some extra mobility. Anything can work in the other slots!

The traitlines, stats and sigils you go for will, of course, have to depend on the weapons you end up preferring! Once you find what weapons work for you, feel free to PM me or comment here to talk more specifics.

@Syreas.8403 said:So, it seems the other commenters here missed the fact that by suggestions, you were asking for gear and not for challenges.

No.

Any answer is totally irrelevant because you can complete core Tyria map completion naked with zero traits and just a weapon equipped, especially on ranger. Just random.org some answers and that's as valid as anything anyone else could say. :)

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@Syreas.8403 said:So, it seems the other commenters here missed the fact that by suggestions, you were asking for gear and not for challenges.

No.

Any answer is totally irrelevant because you can complete core Tyria map completion naked with zero traits and just a weapon equipped, especially on ranger. Just random.org some answers and that's as valid as anything anyone else could say. :)

And yet that's not what they asked for, is it?And they especially didn't ask anyone's input for additional challenges to do.

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@Syreas.8403 said:And yet that's not what they asked for, is it?And they especially didn't ask anyone's input for additional challenges to do.

Well sorry for having a discussion on the discussion forums. Thanks for your wisdom. ;)

Hey, you're free to have whatever discussion you want to have, and I'm free to actually respond to questions asked. To each their own :)

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@"Syreas.8403" said:

Hey, you're free to have whatever discussion you want to have, and I'm free to actually respond to questions asked. To each their own :)

And somehow we both contributed to the topic. Imagine that.

OP said that they only intend to use whatever items drop for their new character. You commented that they should only use "gear that DROPS."

I don't know that simply commenting on a thread without reading it counts as contributing, but again, to each their own.

Here's something I did for no reason. I have a ranger that has a hyena pet. The hyena's F2 is to summon another hyena. My ranger is sylvari so his racial allows him to summon a sylvari hound. I use the ogre sigil set that summons a rock dog to aid you when you get hit. So I can get 4 companions in on a fight.Just for the hell of it.

Archived