Chak Killer - Master achievment not completing

Now I could be playing it wrong but I can't see how. In HoT story part three, Roots of Terror, you reach the end of the instance and there are three achievements to kill the chak in the pit. These range from 1 chak to 10 to wiping out the full pit. I have done this, a few times now and every time the instance ends still saying I am eligible for the "Chak Killer - Master" achievment yet there are no chak left anywhere. I've killed them all after speaking to the group, before speaking to the group, after taking each different lane. Am I missing something or is this bugged?It doesn't say anything about staying alive throughout, presumably you can die and keep going?

The description (and effect) are poor - you need to stay alive during the entire thing. If you die, the achievement effect is still active, but you won't get it. You don't actually need to kill all of the Chak (I had 5-6 left when I got the achievement). Best to use a range weapon to just pull a few at a time.Looking at other information, it is unclear whether or not you can even get into a downed state and still have the achievement take effect. When I did it, I never even went down.Certainly a bug that the achievement effect does not go away if you die and thus can no longer get the achievement.

But in at least the previous tier (killing 10), you only need to kill 10 between going down. On my first attempt through, I died, came back, killed 10, got the achievement, died again, and eventually killed all but did not get that achievement.I think in almost all other cases, once something happens (you die, something escapes, etc) that makes it impossible to get the achievement, the achievement effect goes away, but it does not for chak killer.

The goal is to kill a fixed number of chak. Just like beginner and expert, you can kill extras. The reason the master achievement is so wonky is that you get barely enough chak to succeed, so if you miss some for various reasons (see below), you won't complete the achievement.

And there are many reasons why you might not get 'credit' for any particular chak. You need to get the "killing blow", which means that if someone else helps by killing chak, you're out of luck. Chak that die due to secondary conditions also don't always count -- the condition gets the kill, but you don't. NPCs can also foul things up (fortunately, Braham is nearly useless here these days, so that might no longer be an issue).

And of course, it's possible that one or more chak might spawn inside a wall, making it hard for you to find/target them. There's probably a couple of other reasons, too.

Despite this, plenty of people have completed the achievement. The good news: you only have to succeed once, no matter how often you fail. So my advice is: don't hold your breath waiting for ANet to simplify this (even though there are so many ways they could).

Practical Advice

• To deal with "hidden" chak, bring a character with access to spammable AoE damage that doesn't require "line of sight" — the ideal choice is guardian staff. Use that when you run out of visible chak. (Tempest overloads and reaper shroud and such should also work, but it might take longer to tag the chak.)
  • To deal with other people getting credit: — let your friends buff or heal you; don't let them fight.
  • To deal with accidental death via conditions: stick to power builds, even if they have lower DPS.
  • To deal with chak dying too quickly: same, stick to lower DPS power builds.

It's been a while since I walked anyone through this, but when I did (about half dozen folks), this always worked (once it took two tries).

tl;dr slow & steady, use staff guardian (if you can) to find hidden foes

@False Spirit.1240 said:Thanks very much for all your help guys. I'll try not to die and get all those killing blows. One final quick question: does a rangers pet count towards giving a killing blow?

As far as I know, it should, along with necro minions, mesmer clones, etc. I don't usually do story achievements with a ranger, so I can't confirm.

The main thing is to go slow & steady. You might save a minute by killing things ASAP, but if the achievement doesn't trigger, then it costs you much more time just waiting for dialogue to repeat the second try. So I think it's ultimately more efficient to go boringly & mind-numblingly slow to make sure that you can get credit for as many chak kills as possible.

(I really do wish ANet would at least show the kill counter for this; it would make it so much easier for people to know their progress.)

I did it (a week or so back) with a ranger, and let me pet kill and aggro things. Worked fine. They did make a change at some point (it seems) where they added some extra chak in, so ones being hidden in walls is not as much an issue. As said, I got the achievement with 5-6 chak still alive.

• 4 years later...
On 9/22/2017 at 7:17 AM, Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

The goal is to kill a fixed number of chak. Just like beginner and expert, you can kill extras. The reason the master achievement is so wonky is that you get barely enough chak to succeed, so if you miss some for various reasons (see below), you won't complete the achievement.

And there are many reasons why you might not get 'credit' for any particular chak. You need to get the "killing blow", which means that if someone else helps by killing chak, you're out of luck. Chak that die due to secondary conditions also don't always count -- the condition gets the kill, but you don't. NPCs can also foul things up (fortunately, Braham is nearly useless here these days, so that might no longer be an issue).

True you have to kill the specific ammount of the chak. But conditions and stuff apply. I was downed several times and I killed with burning and bleeding like 80% of those I killed. I restarted the mission twice to make this achievement and there were 7 chaks  left when I got it. So I guess you just have to kill like 100 - as Braham mentions this number - to get it done. But It could've been weird luck as well :P

37 minutes ago, Rethne.3678 said:

True you have to kill the specific ammount of the chak. But conditions and stuff apply. I was downed several times and I killed with burning and bleeding like 80% of those I killed. I restarted the mission twice to make this achievement and there were 7 chaks  left when I got it. So I guess you just have to kill like 100 - as Braham mentions this number - to get it done. But It could've been weird luck as well 😛

4 year old post the OP probabely got it by now.

• 2 years later...