PvP Basics Most Players Do Not Do

PlagueParade.7942

yea there's a problem that people dont use it, but there is somthing more complex about targeting, that you need to know how to abuse it to your favor, specialy in silver-gold:Bunkers/Warriors should go in first to get targeted by enemy, and sustain with blocks and immunes, you make all foe team to attack you, while your team crashing them, try it, great tactic :P

The sad thing is that with the new health bars you don't even need to call any more if people have two brain cells and one person knows which targets to attack and really with the sustain nerfs if 2 to 3 damage dealers get on one target it should die regardless of build but most bads just attack whatever is closest and you end up with three people on three different targets.

you cant plan for pvp. no one tactic will ever work for each map. only the smart players that can react to the ever-changing match will make a difference to the end result.

the only rules I follow are:1: try not to die. you are more valuable to your team alive, don't pick a fight you wont win2: pay attention to your teams health bars. don't try save people who are beyond saving unless your capable of doing so safely.3: trust no one, this is solo queue you know nothing about your teammates, what their build is, spec they running or skills they have and what they capable of.4: don't get greedy, protect what you have and play it safe5: learn the strengths and weaknesses of your profession and other professions this is very important

finally have fun, its only a game.

@Dahkeus.8243 said:I see this situation a lot:

You have a downed teammate and a downed enemy. What do you do?

Options:Stomp the enemy - Only, only, only do this if you are guaranteed a stomp. In most cases, this means you should have stability/blocks/invuln to prevent CC, but if it's a thief, you'll need a teleport and if it's a mesmer, you probably won't get it unless they used their stealth or if you're a thief with Impact Strike.

Cleave the enemy - This is generally safer than stomping, but if you're too slow and/or if your ally is at too low of HP, they will die and the enemy will rally.

Revive the ally - This is also generally a safer option, but it's usually the slowest one. If you do this, be careful that you don't have another enemy incoming who could interrupt/cleave you.

The biggest mistake I see is when teammates go for a stomp that they are unable to pull off (lack of stab/teleport/etc.), which is often a crucial mistake that can cost an entire game.

This as well. People just lack a single bit of proper judgment and common sense.

I've seen people that:

• Attempt a stomp on a downed 10% hp enemy (instead of cleaving), while I'm also downed at 10% hp. Outcome: Downed enemy kills me and rallies before teammate finishes stomp.
  • Start mauling on a recently downed enemy instead of reviving me. I'm about to die and the enemy will rally off of it, but he will keep on spamming 1 on the enemy.
  • Attempt a stomp on a full hp downed enemy while I'm bleeding out. Normally a good option but the downed enemy is a thief / mesmer / ele. They stall with their skill 2, then my teammate attempts a stomp again, enemy rallies because I'm kitten dead at that point.
  • 2v2, I'm downed and an enemy is downed, a teammate and another enemy show up. Enemy proceeds to revive his teammate while my teammate tries to cleave them both, failing to interrupt or beat the revive regen. Outcome: enemy revives, I'm still downed, I die, my teammate goes down 2v1 and we're both dead.

@Razor.6392 said:

@Dahkeus.8243 said:I see this situation a lot:

You have a downed teammate and a downed enemy. What do you do?

Options:
Stomp the enemy
- Only, only, only do this if you are guaranteed a stomp. In most cases, this means you should have stability/blocks/invuln to prevent CC, but if it's a thief, you'll need a teleport and if it's a mesmer, you probably won't get it unless they used their stealth or if you're a thief with Impact Strike.

Cleave the enemy
- This is generally safer than stomping, but if you're too slow and/or if your ally is at too low of HP, they will die and the enemy will rally.

Revive the ally
- This is also generally a safer option, but it's usually the slowest one. If you do this, be careful that you don't have another enemy incoming who could interrupt/cleave you.

The biggest mistake I see is when teammates go for a stomp that they are unable to pull off (lack of stab/teleport/etc.), which is often a crucial mistake that can cost an entire game.

This as well. People just lack a single bit of proper judgment and common sense.

I've seen people that:
  • Attempt a stomp on a downed 10% hp enemy (instead of cleaving), while I'm also downed at 10% hp. Outcome: Downed enemy kills me and rallies before teammate finishes stomp.
  • Start mauling on a recently downed enemy instead of reviving me. I'm about to die and the enemy will rally off of it, but he will keep on spamming 1 on the enemy.
  • Attempt a stomp on a full hp downed enemy while I'm bleeding out. Normally a good option but the downed enemy is a thief / mesmer / ele. They stall with their skill 2, then my teammate attempts a stomp
    again
    , enemy rallies because I'm kitten dead at that point.
  • 2v2, I'm downed and an enemy is downed, a teammate and another enemy show up. Enemy proceeds to revive his teammate while my teammate tries to cleave them both, failing to interrupt or beat the revive regen. Outcome: enemy revives, I'm still downed, I die, my teammate goes down 2v1 and we're both dead.

The downed state is not intuitive nor natural for almost ALL pvp players. Even experienced ones. It's a tough concept for most.

Archived