Change Race

Zaidya.6138

@Shirlias.8104 said:I bet they will find a way because the race change could be a gold mine.

How so? I don't think there's even an advantage in it for Anet. Without it, you have to either buy another character slot and make a new toon or delete your existing one. The first case benefits Anet. The second doesn't affect them. Where's the advantage in allowing it? They'd have to charge more for it than for a character tab, so over 800 gems. I doubt there's such a huge demand for this at that price.

@Biff.5312 said:

@Shirlias.8104 said:I bet they will find a way because the race change could be a gold mine.

How so? I don't think there's even an advantage in it for Anet. Without it, you have to either buy another character slot and make a new toon or delete your existing one. The first case benefits Anet. The second doesn't affect them. Where's the advantage in allowing it? They'd have to charge more for it than for a character tab, so over 800 gems. I doubt there's such a huge demand for this at that price.

Anet aren’t stupid. They obviously know what a golden opportunity a race change consumable would be (both in making money and pleasing their playerbase). I bet they’d love to add it. I’m pretty sure they’ve looked in-depth to try and find a way to make but in the end found the effort and time required to be invested into working around the limitations and obstacles just was so massive it sadly isn’t worth it in the end.

@Bollocks.4078 said:How much would it ease the personal story issues if you could only do a race change after you've completed the personal story?

it wouldn't ease it at all, because its the variables associated with the personal story thats the problem. EVERYTHING you do in Personal story affects your home instance. NPCs show up after various milestones, some services unlock as you level, a number of personal stories physically alter the home instance (Divinity Hospital/Orphanage being one), theres even LS achievements that add stuff to the home instance (M.O.X) that are character bound, the Caladbalg restoration is tracked per character (and augmented with account level collections)...... come to think of it, I wonder if other side stories do as well.

This is on top of the fact that Act 1 for personal story has NO symmetry between the races. And some of that exclusion carries over into Act 2.

This is why the extreme step of completely resetting all the flags on the character is the only practical way of doing this. And if you're going that far, you may as well just roll a new character on a new character slot.

@"Faith.3807" said:See, the problem I have with ANet's excuses of how "it isn't possible", is that that's a bold-faced, flat-out, brazen LIE. They're lying to us.ANet never said it wasn't possible. They said the costs outweigh the benefits.

Here's the magic of code, especially with code as complex as a video game engine: anything is possible. ANet just doesn't want to invest the resources into writing this code. They've already admitted this in response to the request to be able to dye backpack skins. It's 100% possible, but they don't want to invest resources.

Yes, that's absolutely correct: they don't want to invest more in the code to change race than they thing it's worth. They'd rather invest in other things that will greater benefit to more players, for longer periods of time. That's the sort of business decision that any successful company needs to make all the time.

Archived