Holo Heat cooling off QoL

Deax.1572

I think this was an intentional design decision on their part. If they wanted cooldown to start immediately, they could have done that at PoF's launch.

Per the wiki:

Heat will dissipate at a rate of 5% per second, after 3 seconds of leaving Photon Forge mode. The rate will increase to 10% per second after 5 seconds of cooling.

@Axl.8924 said:I got a question:If there was something you could change about holo what would it be?

Mostly making the unused trait lines as useful as others are, and making sword not feel bad.

I like the design of photon forge, and some of the traits are fantastic, but then the others are really lackluster compared to those traits (CC: Storm, CC: Zephyr, ECSU, Light Density Amplifier).

The sword also really highlights just how bad our main weapons are, and it's more of a thorn in our sides than all that useful -- it wants us to AA chain when all other engineer weapons discourage us from auto-attacking, due to how bad they are. It also features no real gap closer for a melee weapon and its utility is sorely lacking for a class that needs utility.

@Axl.8924 said:I got a question:If there was something you could change about holo what would it be?

I agree with Vagrant, mostly the fact that sword isn't good enough and CC: Storm and Zephyr are outshined by the usefulness of stab from CC: Eclipse. It's another case of what sounds good on paper doesn't transition well into practice.

Thats not how heat works in any concept. Heat is almost always gained quicker than its lost. maybe with the exceptions being on larger scales like the suns heat to planets etc.

Cars for example the moment you start them heat is generated quickly and instantly even if you are not moving yet. But the heat is not lost as quickly when you cut the car off.How it works now makes perfect sense and there is no reason for them to change it. they would end up having to put a new kind of limit on it to do something like that either locking you into it for longer or also locking you out of re-entering as well as exiting forge mode.

@Deax.1572 said:

@"Axl.8924" said:I got a question:If there was something you could change about holo what would it be?

I agree with Vagrant, mostly the fact that sword isn't good enough and CC: Storm and Zephyr are outshined by the usefulness of stab from CC: Eclipse. It's another case of what sounds good on paper doesn't transition well into practice.

• CC: Storm would be more interesting and worth investigating if it increased the range on all forge skills, not just the forge auto attack. As it is, 600 range on auto-attack is just a joke. Even 900 range on AA wouldn't make that trait worth taking.

• CC: Zephyr... would be improved if it had functionality like Rapid Regeneration incorporated into it, and it also removed other debuffs such as weakness and slow.

I think changes like that would make them interesting alternatives to the stability.

• Light Density Amplifier should pulse protection on a 5 or 6 second interval with a duration of 3-4 seconds to be worth taking. This would also grant it synergy with other traits and counterplay as well.
  • ECSU needs 100% heat interactions with utility skills, not just sword. It should also slow down heat generation after 100% IMO. That way it really feels like a ramp worth reaching the top of.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@"Axl.8924" said:I got a question:If there was something you could change about holo what would it be?

• CC: Storm would be more interesting and worth investigating if it increased the range on all forge skills, not just the forge auto attack. As it is, 600 range on auto-attack is just a joke. Even 900 range on AA wouldn't make that trait worth taking.
  • CC: Zephyr... would be improved if it had functionality like
    incorporated into it, and it also removed other debuffs such as weakness and slow.

I think changes like that would make them interesting alternatives to the stability.
  • Light Density Amplifier should pulse protection on a 5 or 6 second interval with a duration of 3-4 seconds to be worth taking. This would also grant it synergy with other traits and counterplay as well.
  • ECSU needs 100% heat interactions with utility skills, not just sword. It should also slow down heat generation after 100% IMO. That way it really feels like a ramp worth reaching the top of.

I was thinking maybe CC:Storm's AA projectile could count as a separate attack meaning that you would hit twice if close range, with something added like maybe 4s of bleed at the end of the chain, naturally the damage would be reduced. It would be a great cleave and possibly considerably boost Holo's dps in pve as well.I like your idea of Light Density Amplifier, but then if we spec into Inventions then it would be broken... condition clear would be insane and further increase the gap between Scrapper and Holo.

The problem with all Crystal Configuration traits column is sources of stability on Engineer. We have 1, one, trait on core engi that gives Stability - Juggernaut. And it's useless on Holosmith, with Photon Forge.Other source of Stability on core Engi is Elixir B toolbelt skill. It provides 3 stacks of Stability for 4 seconds. With 25 seconds recharge. This can be reduced to 17 seconds with Tools minor trait and HGH.Traited Corona Burst gives 2 stacks of stability for 4 seconds with 6 seconds recharge. On-demand, almost permanent stability. There's no way Superspeed or some ranged attack can compete with this, at least in PvP or WvW.

For other choices to be attractive we need an alternative, reliable source of Stability - maybe lowering cooldown of Throw Elixir B to 10 seconds (7 seconds traited, obviously other boons from this would need to be tuned down) ? That would make give Engi place in meele train in WvW, and CC: Zephyr would be a cool trait to pick, as Superspeed is often very handy

Edit: after looking through wiki, I found out Rumble (Thumper Turret toolbelt skill) gives 1 second of stability as well. 1 second of 1 stack of Stability. So yea.

@Deax.1572 said:

• CC: Zephyr... would be improved if it had functionality like
    incorporated into it, and it also removed other debuffs such as weakness and slow.

I was thinking maybe CC:Storm's AA projectile could count as a separate attack meaning that you would hit twice if close range, with something added like maybe 4s of bleed at the end of the chain, naturally the damage would be reduced. It would be a great cleave and possibly considerably boost Holo's dps in pve as well.I like your idea of Light Density Amplifier, but then if we spec into Inventions then it would be broken... condition clear would be insane and further increase the gap between Scrapper and Holo.

Well, anticorrosion plating is quite broken as is. It should have an ICD. That's a separate issue. But that's why I said on a 5-6 second pulse, which would be fair for a trait that's intended to protect the user in exchange for a significant debuff (twice the normal passive heat generation).

@"Samug.6512" said:The problem with all Crystal Configuration traits column is sources of stability on Engineer. We have 1, one, trait on core engi that gives Stability - Juggernaut. And it's useless on Holosmith, with Photon Forge.Other source of Stability on core Engi is Elixir B toolbelt skill. It provides 3 stacks of Stability for 4 seconds. With 25 seconds recharge. This can be reduced to 17 seconds with Tools minor trait and HGH.Traited Corona Burst gives 2 stacks of stability for 4 seconds with 6 seconds recharge. On-demand, almost permanent stability. There's no way Superspeed or some ranged attack can compete with this, at least in PvP or WvW.

For other choices to be attractive we need an alternative, reliable source of Stability - maybe lowering cooldown of Throw Elixir B to 10 seconds (7 seconds traited, obviously other boons from this would need to be tuned down) ? That would make give Engi place in meele train in WvW, and CC: Zephyr would be a cool trait to pick, as Superspeed is often very handy

Edit: after looking through wiki, I found out Rumble (Thumper Turret toolbelt skill) gives 1 second of stability as well. 1 second of 1 stack of Stability. So yea.

This goes back to engineer's core design though. Core engineer is a class that's supposed to be in melee-ish range, but not melee, and there's very little that helps our survivability in direct melee against CC. They need to make improvements elsewhere for CC: Eclipse to not be so dang valuable.

Archived