Reduce Portal range in PvP by half

Sunshine.5014

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@"Lincolnbeard.1735" said:2018 - Suddenly an almost 6 years skill is OP.Can't wait for the day people will want mes GS auto nerfed!

This skill alone was powerful enough to keep mesmer in the meta regardless of the state of its competitive builds.

It's always been broken. The only thing that really counters is it ANOTHER portal. Reducing the range by half would allow some other classes to possibly get to the point in time, rather than it being a near unstoppable decap.

I think it would be a fairly healthy change for the gamemode as a whole.

Just like your thread about 'bring back godmode druid and buff pets' while you agree its braindead?

Bad analogy.

Buffing a "braindead" mechanic =/= nerfing an overpowered one. In fact, they are complete opposites.

I mostly agreed with your mesmer changes. Don't start being hostile for no reason.

The only thing that counters a portal currently is another portal. What else can stop a 5000 range teleport with no LoS? Dropping a portal on any point simply means its a free decap for the mesmer any time the other person leaves the point.

And there's you counterplay... Don't leave the point, it's conquest after all. :smile:

I find that even in platinum, no one wants to defend their points... There's a strong "cap and rotate" mentality which naturally makes portal stronger than it should because you know that 5s after they make the cap, you can portal in to a free node... Sometimes there's someone clever there, portal into a bunch of Necro marks or shades or what ever but those people know how to counter play.

That's actually extremely poor advice. Here's why...
  1. You're saying that portal should essentially force someone to remain useless on a single point while they are free to roam around the map, outnumbering your teammates and putting them at a disadvantage on every other point.
  2. After they win the team fight because they outnumber your team, they will snowball home and you'll be 5v1 and 3 capped shortly after.
  3. Now, since this is ranked (and a solid 80% of players are really bad even in platinum), several things could happen:
    • Your teammates could make the terrible decision and 1 by 1 drop out of spawn trying to "troll the enemy team" by proceeding to 1vX for 20 seconds before dying and going back on respawn timer. Then one person complains why your team doesn't have any other points/hasn't decapped when he's fighting outnumbered.
    • Your other teammates listen and 1 by 1 drop out of spawn to go decap mid and far. Meanwhile, the same person that complained about the lack of points/decaps continues to attempt to 1vX at home. When he wipes, the enemy team will simply snowball back into mid (utilizing the unused portal) and far, killing the people there in 1vXs, recapping the points, and pushing home again, continuing the snowball.

If a mesmer drops a portal, what you should do is:
  1. Finish capping the point, as soon as it is finished, rotate to mid so your team isn't outnumbered for more than a few seconds.
  2. If the mesmer instantly portals out, you should do 1 of 3 things:
    • Leave the mid fight immediately and rotate home. The mesmer will get the decap but you'll get there in time to stop the full cap. Now, the mesmer doesn't have a portal and is either forced to win/lose the 1v1 or rotate out to mid again (with you following).
    • If you see the potential to get a kill quickly at mid, do so. If you are confident from that point that your team can easily will middle, leave mid and rotate home immediately to try and see if you can stop the full cap.
    • Remain at mid, completely win the teamfight while allowing the mesmer to full cap home. Once mid is won, your team rotates into far to continue the snowball while someone watches mid. Leaving your team with a 2 cap.

In a more competitive setting, you would usually:
  1. Finish capping and stand in between home and mid. You'd want to be close enough to mid so that you can help your team if you need to AND close enough to home with enough mobility to stop the decap if the mesmer decides to portal home.

-

@shadowpass.4236 said:The only thing that counters a portal currently is another portal. What else can stop a 5000 range teleport with no LoS? Dropping a portal on any point simply means its a free decap for the mesmer any time the other person leaves the point.

You answered your own questions twice now. And all I'm saying is that you said "its a free decap for the mesmer any time the other person leaves the point"...

I'm also confused why you would ask the question to begin with in the first place if you already knew a way to counter play it. Makes me feel like you got a pitchfork in your hand atm

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@"Lincolnbeard.1735" said:2018 - Suddenly an almost 6 years skill is OP.Can't wait for the day people will want mes GS auto nerfed!

This skill alone was powerful enough to keep mesmer in the meta regardless of the state of its competitive builds.

It's always been broken. The only thing that really counters is it ANOTHER portal. Reducing the range by half would allow some other classes to possibly get to the point in time, rather than it being a near unstoppable decap.

I think it would be a fairly healthy change for the gamemode as a whole.

Just like your thread about 'bring back godmode druid and buff pets' while you agree its braindead?

Bad analogy.

Buffing a "braindead" mechanic =/= nerfing an overpowered one. In fact, they are complete opposites.

I mostly agreed with your mesmer changes. Don't start being hostile for no reason.

The only thing that counters a portal currently is another portal. What else can stop a 5000 range teleport with no LoS? Dropping a portal on any point simply means its a free decap for the mesmer any time the other person leaves the point.

And there's you counterplay... Don't leave the point, it's conquest after all. :smile:

I find that even in platinum, no one wants to defend their points... There's a strong "cap and rotate" mentality which naturally makes portal stronger than it should because you know that 5s after they make the cap, you can portal in to a free node... Sometimes there's someone clever there, portal into a bunch of Necro marks or shades or what ever but those people know how to counter play.

That's actually extremely poor advice. Here's why...
  1. You're saying that portal should essentially force someone to remain useless on a single point while they are free to roam around the map, outnumbering your teammates and putting them at a disadvantage on every other point.
  2. After they win the team fight because they outnumber your team, they will snowball home and you'll be 5v1 and 3 capped shortly after.
  3. Now, since this is ranked (and a solid 80% of players are really bad even in platinum), several things could happen:
    • Your teammates could make the terrible decision and 1 by 1 drop out of spawn trying to "troll the enemy team" by proceeding to 1vX for 20 seconds before dying and going back on respawn timer. Then one person complains why your team doesn't have any other points/hasn't decapped when he's fighting outnumbered.
    • Your other teammates listen and 1 by 1 drop out of spawn to go decap mid and far. Meanwhile, the same person that complained about the lack of points/decaps continues to attempt to 1vX at home. When he wipes, the enemy team will simply snowball back into mid (utilizing the unused portal) and far, killing the people there in 1vXs, recapping the points, and pushing home again, continuing the snowball.

If a mesmer drops a portal, what you should do is:
  1. Finish capping the point, as soon as it is finished, rotate to mid so your team isn't outnumbered for more than a few seconds.
  2. If the mesmer instantly portals out, you should do 1 of 3 things:
    • Leave the mid fight immediately and rotate home. The mesmer will get the decap but you'll get there in time to stop the full cap. Now, the mesmer doesn't have a portal and is either forced to win/lose the 1v1 or rotate out to mid again (with you following).
    • If you see the potential to get a kill quickly at mid, do so. If you are confident from that point that your team can easily will middle, leave mid and rotate home immediately to try and see if you can stop the full cap.
    • Remain at mid, completely win the teamfight while allowing the mesmer to full cap home. Once mid is won, your team rotates into far to continue the snowball while someone watches mid. Leaving your team with a 2 cap.

In a more competitive setting, you would usually:
  1. Finish capping and stand in between home and mid. You'd want to be close enough to mid so that you can help your team if you need to AND close enough to home with enough mobility to stop the decap if the mesmer decides to portal home.

-

You answered your own questions twice now. And all I'm saying is that you said "its a free decap for the mesmer any time the other person leaves the point"...

I'm also confused why you would ask the question to begin with in the first place if you already knew a way to counter play it. Makes me feel like you got a pitchfork in your hand atm

It doesn't strike you as a bit odd that a single utility skill is strong enough to warrant several different types of rotations to play around it?

Keep in mind that these rotations don't counter portal. They simply reduce its impact. If you read carefully, you'd see that the only way to PREVENT the decap is in a competitive setting when your team can handle outnumbered fights.

Camping home and doing literally nothing isn't a good strategy. I shouldn't have to explain that to you, especially since you claimed you're in platinum. But, alas, I did. This is a problem with the matchmaking. I shouldn't be paired with people who don't understand these types of rotations.

Again, the only thing that counters portal is another portal.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Sunshine.5014 said:Now that we have the skill split, we should make adjustments to this skill. It's not that OP in PvE or WvW, but in PvP, the impact of this skill is too much. It should be split. Even with half the range, this skill is still very impactful in PvP.

Did they recently make a change to portal to make it worth complaining about or is this just one of those pitchfork threads?

Portal on some maps won't even reach from home to far let alone home to mid and you wanna halve that lmao, seems like a pitchfork Idea to me, why not actually focus on the things that need nerfing like Phantasms base damage and Illusionary Rogue.

Wave of NERF THIS! NERF THAT!NERF EVERYTHING type of threads started with a rework.They think because of current chrono they are allowed to nerf everything on mesmer :)As for dud above portal countered by another portal, thats same as thief countered by another thief (otherwise gl catching him/prevent decaps etc) .

@Odik.4587 said:

@Sunshine.5014 said:Now that we have the skill split, we should make adjustments to this skill. It's not that OP in PvE or WvW, but in PvP, the impact of this skill is too much. It should be split. Even with half the range, this skill is still very impactful in PvP.

Did they recently make a change to portal to make it worth complaining about or is this just one of those pitchfork threads?

Portal on some maps won't even reach from home to far let alone home to mid and you wanna halve that lmao, seems like a pitchfork Idea to me, why not actually focus on the things that need nerfing like Phantasms base damage and Illusionary Rogue.

Wave of NERF THIS! NERF THAT!NERF EVERYTHING type of threads started with a rework.They think because of current chrono they are allowed to nerf everything on mesmer :)
As for dud above portal countered by another portal, thats same as thief countered by another thief (otherwise gl catching him/prevent decaps etc) .

That's precisely why every team runs a thief.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Wave of NERF THIS! NERF THAT!NERF EVERYTHING type of threads started with a rework.They think because of current chrono they are allowed to nerf everything on mesmer :)
As for dud above portal countered by another portal, thats same as thief countered by another thief (otherwise gl catching him/prevent decaps etc) .

Should we nerf thief by 50% then as well?:D

@Odik.4587 said:

Does that question actually make sense in your head?

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Its doesnt make sense in your head ? If enemy team have a thief ,you need your own thief.Enemy team have mesmer with a portal ,you want to have it too.So whats wrong about it ? This things are exactly same.

@Odik.4587 said:

@"Sunshine.5014" said:Now that we have the skill split, we should make adjustments to this skill. It's not that OP in PvE or WvW, but in PvP, the impact of this skill is too much. It should be split. Even with half the range, this skill is still very impactful in PvP.

Its doesnt make sense in your head ? If enemy team have a thief ,you need your own thief.Enemy team have mesmer with a portal ,you want to have it too.So whats wrong about it ? This things are exactly same.

Ah, I see the language barrier is preventing you from understanding.

I'll explain it very simply for you.

• I said, "That's precisely why every team runs a thief."
  • Then, you asked the question, "Should we nerf thief by 50% then as well?"

Obviously, that question makes no sense. There isn't really an answer to that, because how can you nerf thief by 50%? This is otherwise known as a rhetorical question.

Your welcome.

You suggest to nerf portal efficiency by 50% (OP and so far i see you agree with it). So I intentionally said same 50% . There is no way to coutnerplay what thief does rather than have another thief? Lets nerf his mobility by half and screw that his role is decap/ quick+1 (i dont deny thats sounds stupid but for me OP 'yet another begging for nerf thread' makes no sense)

@Odik.4587 said:You suggest to nerf portal efficiency by 50% (OP and so far i see you agree with it). So I intentionally said same 50% . There is no way to coutnerplay what thief does rather than have another thief? Lets nerf his mobility by half and screw that his role is decap/ quick+1 (i dont deny thats sounds stupid but for me OP 'yet another begging for nerf thread' makes no sense)

If you really want to ask ridiculous questions, there are actually many ways to counter a thief. In terms of decapping and mobility, simply having another mesmer or any class with high mobility is enough to stop them and make it much harder for them to do their job.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Odik.4587 said:You suggest to nerf portal efficiency by 50% (OP and so far i see you agree with it). So I intentionally said same 50% . There is no way to coutnerplay what thief does rather than have another thief? Lets nerf his mobility by half and screw that his role is decap/ quick+1 (i dont deny thats sounds stupid but for me OP 'yet another begging for nerf thread' makes no sense)

If you really want to ask ridiculous questions, there are actually many ways to counter a thief. In terms of decapping and mobility, simply having another mesmer or any class with high mobility is enough to stop them and make it much harder for them to do their job.

If you dont know thief farming mesmer and put another mesmer against it its straight dumb

@Odik.4587 said:

If you dont know thief farming mesmer and put another mesmer against it its straight dumb

• You said, "The only way to counter a thief is another thief. So, should we nerf their mobility by 50% to weaken their ability to decap/+1?"
  • So, I said, "There are actually many ways to counter a thief. In terms of decapping and mobility, simply having another mesmer or any class with high mobility is enough to stop them and make it much harder for them to do their job."
  • Then, you said, "Thieves farm mesmers, so putting a mesmer vs. a thief is dumb."

If you read a little more carefully, you'd see that I mentioned nothing about a strict thief vs. mesmer 1v1 matchup. Instead, you said that the only way to counter a thief's mobility is with another thief. Obviously, this is completely false as there are many classes that have enough mobility to prevent their decaps and +1s.

Your welcome.

I think it's fair for mesmer to keep Portal in sPvP, however I also think it could use a little tweak to make it a little harder to use defensively. I'm thinking adding a ~1 second cooldown on Portal Entre would be fair. For such a potentially impactful skill, I don't personally believe its role should also essentially function as another last second "oh shit" button.

With that said, I am not a mesmer player so I can't fully say in confidence that it would be a fair nerf. I just think it should require a little more to set up.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

• You said, "The only way to counter a thief is another thief. So, should we nerf their mobility by 50% to weaken their ability to decap/+1?"
  • So, I said, "There are actually many ways to counter a thief. In terms of decapping and mobility, simply having another mesmer or any class with high mobility is enough to stop them and make it much harder for them to do their job."
  • Then, you said, "Thieves farm mesmers, so putting a mesmer vs. a thief is dumb."

If you read a little more carefully, you'd see that I mentioned nothing about a strict thief vs. mesmer 1v1 matchup. Instead, you said that the only way to counter a thief's mobility is with another thief. Obviously, this is completely false as there are many classes that have enough mobility to prevent their decaps and +1s.

Your welcome.

"Language barrier."

"Your welcome"

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Your welcome.What you talking about even :DDDDDDDDD .There are actually many ways to counter a thief. In terms of decapping and mobility, simply having another
mesmer
or any class with high mobility is enoughNo one is faster than thief to stop him from doing his job. If you pretend that you can leave someone between two points, in same way you can counterplay mesmer if you arent blind and seeing a portal being opened. On Legacy warrior once prevented portal decap ,point needed 1 tick and he made it in time (magick)I wrote it correct : Putting memser as counter measure to thief mobility ,is that a joke ? To make him farm your mesmer around entire map and making your portal plays worse by many times if not nullify them ? Great solution ,i approve ! /sarcasmMesmer have less mobility than thief EVEN IF mesmer would magically prevent decap (by burning both dodges and all ambushes on sword he have) he will die to thief (no dodges hello) , you want someone to come to help memser ? He making your team losing by investing 2 people just to save mesmer from him.Anyway doubt this 'nerf' gonna happen . :)I'm done here.@Pterikdactyl.7630I think it's fair for mesmer to keep Portal in sPvP, however I also think it could use a little tweak to make it a little harder to use defensively. I'm thinking adding a ~1 second cooldown on Portal Entre would be fairWe have delay on portal creation and him being ready to use (You could see Helseth doing smart things like put a portal and run forward to use staff 2 into it or dodge back into portal ,because you can be knocked ,CC'd away from portal and die without using it. Or just die right on your portal because delay before activation) . Today iv done portal stomp and could use portal anymore with 18 charges left... portal stop OP confirmed and thus nerfed :(

@Odik.4587 said:

@"shadowpass.4236" said:If you honestly think that NOTHING can prevent a thief decap, you're really bad.Now you have problems with reading?

• You said, "No one is fast enough to stop a thief from doing his job (decapping/+1).
  • I said, "There are many classes that have more than enough mobility to prevent decaps/+1s."
  • Then, you said, "No one is fast enough to stop a thief from doing his job."

Clearly, there are many things that can prevent a thief from decapping/+1ing. If I really have to list them... mesmer, ranger, warrior, revenant, ele, engi, and guardian all have enough mobility to do so.

Your welcome.

No one is faster than thief to stop him from doing his job.You are way worse if cant get at least top25 on NA ;D

Well, that's too bad then, looks like I can. :]

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:If you honestly think that NOTHING can prevent a thief decap, you're really bad.Now you have problems with reading?

• You said, "No one is fast enough to stop a thief from doing his job (decapping/+1).
  • I said, "There are many classes that have more than enough mobility to prevent decaps/+1s."
  • Then, you said, "No one is fast enough to stop a thief from doing his job."

Clearly, there are many things that can prevent a thief from decapping/+1ing. If I really have to list them... mesmer, ranger, warrior, revenant, ele, engi, and guardian all have enough mobility to do so.

Your welcome.

No one is faster than thief to stop him from doing his job.You are way worse if cant get at least top25 on NA ;D

Well, that's too bad then, looks like I
. :]

I dont know which kind of thieves you have on NA so every class make thief worthless XDDDCan i have a picture with a title tho? But i dont exclude that you might get even top10 this season considering bandwagoning on chrono xDAnd i said , im done with this bs, not worth waste time to arguing with you :<

@Odik.4587 said:

Your welcome.What you talking about even :DDDDDDDDD .There are actually many ways to counter a thief. In terms of decapping and mobility, simply having another
mesmer
or any class with high mobility is enoughNo one is faster than thief to stop him from doing his job. If you pretend that you can leave someone between two points, in same way you can counterplay mesmer if you arent blind and seeing a portal being opened. On Legacy warrior once prevented portal decap ,point needed 1 tick and he made it in time (magick)I wrote it correct : Putting memser as counter measure to thief mobility ,is that a joke ? To make him farm your mesmer around entire map and making your portal plays worse by many times if not nullify them ? Great solution ,i approve ! /sarcasmMesmer have less mobility than thief EVEN IF mesmer would magically prevent decap (by burning both dodges and all ambushes on sword he have) he will die to thief (no dodges hello) , you want someone to come to help memser ? He making your team losing by investing 2 people just to save mesmer from him.Anyway doubt this 'nerf' gonna happen . :)I'm done here.@Pterikdactyl.7630I think it's fair for mesmer to keep Portal in sPvP, however I also think it could use a little tweak to make it a little harder to use defensively. I'm thinking adding a ~1 second cooldown on Portal Entre would be fairWe have delay on portal creation and him being ready to use (You could see Helseth doing smart things like put a portal and run forward to use staff 2 into it or dodge back into portal ,because you can be knocked ,CC'd away from portal and die without using it. Or just die right on your portal because delay before activation) . Today iv done portal stomp and could use portal anymore with 18 charges left... portal stop OP confirmed and thus nerfed :(

He's just trolling you... He's asking questions like "how to counter portal because nothing counters it" then proceeds to give a very detailed explanation on a way to counter it... Clearly trolling with a pitchfork in his hand... Then again, you're dealing with someone who thinks P/P 3 spamming builds are viable and OP.https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/35493/why-is-spamming-3-a-viable-build/p1

And everyone else understands why you made the "nerf thief by 50% comment"... Made me laugh and shame he doesn't get it but unfortunately he doesn't understand English very well with the amount of times he blamed the language barrier. (unless that was a bad attempt to troll you aswell, I mostly read it as English not being his first language)

Archived