Reduce Portal range in PvP by half

Sunshine.5014

The impact of the skill is great and because it is great defines the Mesmer's role in PvP.

This is similar to how the shortbow defines the Thief's role in PvP, or boon corruption for Necromancer. These are incredibly strong, role defining aspects of these professions that other professions can approach but never quite reach.

Consider instead providing design space for each profession that gives them some asset of considerable strength that better defines their role, their contribution to a team, and helps always see a minimum threshold of viability regardless of overall balance state.

@"Lincolnbeard.1735" said:2018 - Suddenly an almost 6 years skill is OP.Can't wait for the day people will want mes GS auto nerfed!

To be fair...the word "suddenly" is horribly inaccurate. Mesmer has been a staple of every high level competitive team for years, even when the class itself (excluding portal) is in a poor spot.

Portal is fine, and is pretty much an accepted/expected mechanic from a Mesmer in PvP. Is it arguably overpowered? Perhaps, but I feel it has counterplay (lay traps/mines on enemy portal, cleave on portal) and is actually fun to play with and against.

There is really nothing wrong with this skill at all. The only thing wrong with it right now is that Mesmer is a guaranteed 1v1 victory on a side node, and is capable of 1v2 in the right hands. Once Mesmer power creep is toned down everything will be fine.

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:2018 - Suddenly an almost 6 years skill is OP.Can't wait for the day people will want mes GS auto nerfed!

This skill alone was powerful enough to keep mesmer in the meta regardless of the state of its competitive builds.

It's always been broken. The only thing that really counters is it ANOTHER portal. Reducing the range by half would allow some other classes to possibly get to the point in time, rather than it being a near unstoppable decap.

I think it would be a fairly healthy change for the gamemode as a whole.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:2018 - Suddenly an almost 6 years skill is OP.Can't wait for the day people will want mes GS auto nerfed!

This skill alone was powerful enough to keep mesmer in the meta regardless of the state of its competitive builds.

It's always been broken. The only thing that really counters is it ANOTHER portal. Reducing the range by half would allow some other classes to possibly get to the point in time, rather than it being a near unstoppable decap.

Just like your thread about 'bring back godmode druid and buff pets' while you agree its braindead?

You'd be hard pressed to find a single other utility skill that impacts the entirety of a PvP match as much as Portal. Thieves don't consistently guarantee matches with smart use of Roll for Initiative.

But I really like smart portal plays. They're some of the most exciting parts of Conquest. But I think there should be some cool down adjustments. The thing I dislike about Portal is that a mesmer can drop the exit on a point, never use the portal and only suffer a very minor 12 second cooldown until they can drop another exit somewhere. That just doesn't seem right. There should be a higher cost to wasting a portal. Something like a 60 second duration with a 90-100 second cooldown.

I don't agree with halving the range though. Being able to port from adjacent nodes defensively and aggressively is what makes mesmer, mesmer.

But let me tell you, nothing in PvP is more fun than dropping your portal on an enemy's portal, seeing them use their portal to bail out of a fight going poorly and hunting them down through your own portal and seeing their panic play out in real time as they're now trapped by you and your teammates on the otherside.

@Odik.4587 said:

@"Lincolnbeard.1735" said:2018 - Suddenly an almost 6 years skill is OP.Can't wait for the day people will want mes GS auto nerfed!

Just like your thread about 'bring back godmode druid and buff pets' while you agree its braindead?

Bad analogy.

Buffing a "braindead" mechanic =/= nerfing an overpowered one. In fact, they are complete opposites.

I mostly agreed with your mesmer changes. Don't start being hostile for no reason.

The only thing that counters a portal currently is another portal. What else can stop a 5000 range teleport with no LoS? Dropping a portal on any point simply means its a free decap for the mesmer any time the other person leaves the point.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Bad analogy.

Buffing a "braindead" mechanic =/= nerfing an overpowered one. In fact, they are complete opposites.

I mostly agreed with your mesmer changes. Don't start being hostile for no reason.

The only thing that counters a portal currently is another portal. What else can stop a 5000 range teleport with no LoS? Dropping a portal on any point simply means its a free decap for the mesmer any time the other person leaves the point.

How its bad? You wanted to return old druid which was OP ... I want to keep OP portal . Same thing right?Its like saying you cant counter thief mobility/decaps because you dont have your own thief .Even when anet had tournaments with cash prizes portal never been touched. I'm not really good with placing good portals but so far its not best use of it

@Odik.4587 said:

Bad analogy.

How its bad? You wanted to return old druid which was OP ... I want to keep OP portal . Same thing right?Its like saying you cant counter thief mobility/decaps because you dont have your own thief .Even when anet had tournaments with cash prizes portal never been touched. I'm not really good with placing good portals but so far its not best use of it

The only thing a druid has right now is survivability. It doesn't have much utility and it can't kill anything.

Portal has always been meta in a competitive setting simply because of how powerful it is.

Port already got nerfed. Anet made it so that you can't place portals farther than the range limit, problem is it's shorter than pre-change. I often have to run TOWARDS the portal to drop my counterpart which can cost a point or even my life. This never happened before Anet put on the restriction.

@Sunshine.5014 said:Now that we have the skill split, we should make adjustments to this skill. It's not that OP in PvE or WvW, but in PvP, the impact of this skill is too much. It should be split. Even with half the range, this skill is still very impactful in PvP.

Did they recently make a change to portal to make it worth complaining about or is this just one of those pitchfork threads?

Portal on some maps won't even reach from home to far let alone home to mid and you wanna halve that lmao, seems like a pitchfork Idea to me, why not actually focus on the things that need nerfing like Phantasms base damage and Illusionary Rogue.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@"Sunshine.5014" said:Now that we have the skill split, we should make adjustments to this skill. It's not that OP in PvE or WvW, but in PvP, the impact of this skill is too much. It should be split. Even with half the range, this skill is still very impactful in PvP.

Did they recently make a change to portal to make it worth complaining about or is this just one of those pitchfork threads?

Portal on some maps won't even reach from home to far let alone home to mid and you wanna halve that lmao, seems like a pitchfork Idea to me, why not actually focus on the things that need nerfing like Phantasms base damage and Illusionary Rogue.

Ill guess that with the increase of "mesmer mains" came an increase in portals

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Bad analogy.

And there's you counterplay... Don't leave the point, it's conquest after all. :smile:

I find that even in platinum, no one wants to defend their points... There's a strong "cap and rotate" mentality which naturally makes portal stronger than it should because you know that 5s after they make the cap, you can portal in to a free node... Sometimes there's someone clever there, portal into a bunch of Necro marks or shades or what ever but those people know how to counter play.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Bad analogy.

And there's you counterplay... Don't leave the point, it's conquest after all. :smile:

I find that even in platinum, no one wants to defend their points... There's a strong "cap and rotate" mentality which naturally makes portal stronger than it should because you know that 5s after they make the cap, you can portal in to a free node... Sometimes there's someone clever there, portal into a bunch of Necro marks or shades or what ever but those people know how to counter play.

That's actually extremely poor advice. Here's why...

1. You're saying that portal should essentially force someone to remain useless on a single point while they are free to roam around the map, outnumbering your teammates and putting them at a disadvantage on every other point.
  2. After they win the team fight because they outnumber your team, they will snowball home and you'll be 5v1 and 3 capped shortly after.
  3. Now, since this is ranked (and a solid 80% of players are really bad even in platinum), several things could happen:
    • Your teammates could make the terrible decision and 1 by 1 drop out of spawn trying to "troll the enemy team" by proceeding to 1vX for 20 seconds before dying and going back on respawn timer. Then one person complains why your team doesn't have any other points/hasn't decapped when he's fighting outnumbered.
    • Your other teammates listen and 1 by 1 drop out of spawn to go decap mid and far. Meanwhile, the same person that complained about the lack of points/decaps continues to attempt to 1vX at home. When he wipes, the enemy team will simply snowball back into mid (utilizing the unused portal) and far, killing the people there in 1vXs, recapping the points, and pushing home again, continuing the snowball.

If a mesmer drops a portal, what you should do is:

1. Finish capping the point, as soon as it is finished, rotate to mid so your team isn't outnumbered for more than a few seconds.
  2. If the mesmer instantly portals out, you should do 1 of 3 things:
    • Leave the mid fight immediately and rotate home. The mesmer will get the decap but you'll get there in time to stop the full cap. Now, the mesmer doesn't have a portal and is either forced to win/lose the 1v1 or rotate out to mid again (with you following).
    • If you see the potential to get a kill quickly at mid, do so. If you are confident from that point that your team can easily win middle, leave mid and rotate home immediately to try and see if you can stop the full cap.
    • Remain at mid, completely win the teamfight while allowing the mesmer to full cap home. Once mid is won, your team rotates into far to continue the snowball while someone watches mid. Leaving your team with a 2 cap.

In a more competitive setting, you would usually:

1. Finish capping and stand in between home and mid. You'd want to be close enough to mid so that you can help your team if you need to AND close enough to home with enough mobility to stop the decap if the mesmer decides to portal home.

Archived