Logical DPS and area effect

It's seems unreasonable that ranged players get ranged cast AoE spam. This does not scale well in PvP where huge amount of game area is covered with little or no regard to strategy . It strikes me as more logical that ground effect AoE would be something inherent to melee players to be deployed as chess piece to cover an area. If you look at the area of possible coverage by a ranged player with AoE ground target at max range versus a melee player that has mostly single target it instantly looks imbalanced. Now scale that across 5, 10, 20 players.

@Rombus.2910 said:It's seems unreasonable that ranged players get ranged cast AoE spam. This does not scale well in PvP where huge amount of game area is covered with little or no regard to strategy . It strikes me as more logical that ground effect AoE would be something inherent to melee players to be deployed as chess piece to cover an area. If you look at the area of possible coverage by a ranged player with AoE ground target at max range versus a melee player that has mostly single target it instantly looks imbalanced. Now scale that across 5, 10, 20 players.

I don't think anyone's going to argue that certain classes (scourge) have an unreasonable impact in some game modes (pvp/wvw) due to how much area control they are capable of from range. But I wouldn't go as far as to say that ranged weapons shouldn't have access to area effects. I also don't agree that melee damage is mostly single-target. In fact, most (all?) melee weapons cleave, while ranged weapons tend to be mostly single-target or, if they hit multiple targets, it's via piercing attacks rather than cleave or area effect (which are obviously more versatile), no?

I think overall the balance between ranged and melee is pretty good (scourge issues aside). Range is obviously at a disadvantage in most cases in terms of damage output, but is generally a safer way to play. And since most classes can weapon swap, the issue of range vs. melee isn't really much of an issue at all.

Archived